IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 23.  Range for an hour, about 30-35 balls.  Worked on my latest priority piece, which involved hitting punch shots and various 50 yard shots too.  After my last three rounds having about one GIR each, approach shots have become a priority again.  I remember when I'd hit 5-6 GIR/round regularly, and I want to at least get back to that!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Day 140 - June 23, 2018 - Finally got to hit some balls again. When I make a better swing my slight groin pull doesn't get aggravated. ;-) It's also amazing how little it feels like my lower body does anything (right now) on the backswing.

FWIW, I have worn this the last two rounds after pulling my groin on a wet tee two weeks ago. It works and it's not noticeable and fairly comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5FVD4U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 174

Just putting practice this morning. One ball, and 18 practice pins. 15 first putts we're in the 10-15 foot range. The other three were 25' plus. Went clockwise for six pins, and counter clockwise for the next six. The final six first putts we're a "pick a pin" type selection. 

Focus was on reads, alignment, and hitting straight putts, on my chosen lines. 36 putts were par. I had three, 3 putts, but also had 2 one putts. The rest were all 2 putts. 

Two of my 3 putts we're to a left breaking, side hill  line, that if missed, allowed the ball to roll some 8-10 feet away. The other 3 putt was on one of the longer putts, where I left myself a long second putt. (B-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 8, June 24 - About 1 hour working on a new Evolvr lesson hitting into my net.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 215    Another feels like over 100 day!!!   So I stayed indoors and worked with my Impact Ball and shortened 5 iron for quite a while working on my backswing positions.   

• Administrator

Day 141 - June 24, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2244729

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 24.  I wish I had more time, but I spend five minutes doing the medicine ball drill.  Seeing as how I've lost distance the past few rounds (possibly related to having regressed a bit in my swing, as evidenced by more strokes lost -- approach too), I can't see this as a bad thing to possibly gain that lost distance back.  I certainly need it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 9, June 25 - Mirror work at the gym. Worked on my grip from advice from my Evolvr instructor to correct the face closing. Also worked on punch drill and finish. I will go to the range on the way home and check ball flight changes with these modifications.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 175 Small basket of balls this morning. Went through my bag, except for my putter. 

Went in my own series once warmed up. LW, driver, SW, 3w, AW, 5w, PW, 7w 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i, and 5i. Then I reversed that order. This routine really makes me pay attention to what I am doing. 

Took my time between shots using an abbreviated preshot routine. Focus was landing the ball in my make shift fairway. Used my normal swing tempo. Used a tee on my driver. Everything else was off the turf, with crisp contact, and maybe a little divot (trim job) after the ball on the shorter clubs. (B+)

With the left over balls, I gave my 5w some extra attention. It's the club I have the least amount of faith in. I tend to top the ball sometimes with it. Worked on my one piece take away, and not letting my shoulders rise up in the down swing. (A-)

Finished up over at the practice green with some putting. Not really any focus there. Just some quick putts in the 10-15 foot range. Spent a little time on one really tough pin placement. One of those I don't intend to one putt, but just get the ball close enough for a two putt. A three putt is a satisfactory score, if the first putt turns out poorly. 

In My Bag:

Day 54: 

Worked on shot zones off the tee today at the range.  Struggled quite a bit with a slice with all my clubs.  Back to engraining not cutting across the golf ball. Got a round this weekend I really wanna play well, and that all starts with putting the ball in play off the tee. 

DAY 216   Spent a little over an hour on the range working on my full swing.  In addition to my assigned drills from my GGGA coach, I decided I would learn how to swing left handed!!!   (I am a righty as my profile shows).  I had read a research study a while back about the positive impact on performance of learning to swing the opposite way you play.   I am going to dig up that study. 

But first I headed to my local golf shop and was able to purchase a left-handed 5 iron for only $10.  The amazing part was that the club was a Callaway X-18.  I purchased a complete set of X-18s when I started playing golf again when I retired about 12-13 years ago!!  So today and every day I go to the range for work on my full swing.. I will hit 10-20 balls left handed.   Eventually I will post my swing and get the Challenge Award.  But it will be about a month.

Finally headed to the short game area and worked on my short wedge technique for about 90 minutes, and then hit 10 shots to pins on the green which were 20 and 30 yards away.   I was 7/10 inside six feet from 20 yards, and 5/10 inside 6 feet from 30 yards.  Both of these are the best I have done so far when I began the improvement journey earlier this month.

• Administrator

Day 142 - June 25, 2018 - Putted when I got home from Natalie's Tri-State PGA win earlier today. Basement. Tomorrow, much full swing practice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 25.  Punch drill at range (grass, 30 balls, an hour or so), then some 3/4 sand wedges (a shot I royally messed up 3-4 times in the last two rounds).  I also hit some hybrids and some fairway woods.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 10, June 26 - Playing 18 today. I hope my latest work helps out.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 176

Spent this morning on a few tougher shots I run into from time to time. I also just wanted to do something different, practise wise. 

First was my little green side flop shot to a pin cut close. This shot is about 10 feet in length. Yes, this is shot where a putter would normally be more beneficial. However, in this instance, I was flopping balls over a sprinkler, and valve set next to the green. Using my LW, I would hit a short flop shot, maybe 3-4 feet high, with very little roll out. This is a finesse shot to be sure. (A-)

From there I moved to a 5-6 foot burm, and hit balls off uneven lies. Ball above, and below my feet. Uphill, and down hill lies. Focus was on ball placement, foot pressure, staying in posture, alignment, and keeping my shoulders level with what ever slope I was dealing with. I was also watching what the different ball flights were doing. I was hitting 40 yard shots, so club selection also came into play. (B+)

Next up, was hitting balls to a pin protected by a bunker, and the burm I used earlier. Focus was on alignment, back swing length, and flying ball over the bunker/burm obstacles to a pin on the other side. These were 40 +/- yard lob shots to decrese roll out after the carry. A couple of balls didn't carry the bunker, and thus became green side bunker practice shots. (B+)

Finished up on the practice green putting. Worked on alignment, stroke, and lag putting. Used one ball for 18, different pin placements for 33 putts. No 3 putts this day. (A)

In My Bag:

Day 55:

Played Short Game 50 today. Used 20 feet for my target distance. Took 27 shots to get to 50 points. Good benchmark to use for the future. 

DAY 217    Went out later in the day.   Hit the range for 45 minutes to work through my drills for my full swing.   Then went out to the course for 9 holes. In the Summer in the afternoons the course is usually very empty since it is so hot, and all the "Snowbirds" have gone North.  So I am able to do a lot of practicing on the course.   So I hit a few 7 irons from a downhill, sidehill lie on hole #3, then tried the Runyon method for chipping while hanging out on hole 4, then hit a LOT of short wedges on holes 5-6.  And as I usually do -- I decided to keep score for the last three holes.  I hit those 3 GIR, and made 2 birdie putts (one was 15 and one of 14 feet that were downhill with some slope to them).  Feel good about the short day.  :-)