IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 50.  Why did I practice 49 of the past 50 days?  Was there something I wanted or had in mind?  Did I have a goal I might achieve?

Oh right.  It was to play better, especially in club tournaments.  Well, I shot an 85 today in a club tournament, good for low gross in my flight and a 13.0 differential.  5th tournament win in 4 years.  85 despite two sixes (a par-5 and a par-3) and a seven (on a par-5).

Maybe the next 50 days will lead to more improvement.  

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Shindig/round/2296864

One quick thought:  shot zones.  I shouldn't have hit a layup as close to the green on #12 as I did because of the hazards (leading to a six on a par-3)... maybe next time I lay up with a 5-iron instead of 3-Hybrid.  In retrospect, the 3H did have the possibility of ending up in the bunker, and it did.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 202 We had a cold front move through the area yesterday, and it was still comfortable this morning. This allowed for a little longer practice session. 

Started out with a basket of balls at the range. Rotated through my bag, using the longer clubs. (3W-8I).

I had the station next to the side fence. That fence doubled as one side of my made up fairway. The other side, I used a couple of down range flags. Making my own fairway on the range lets me know if my ball flights are flying true, or not. No matter which club I am using, the idea is to land the ball in that made up fairway. Hit about 50 balls, while never hitting one club, more than two times in a row.  Focus was on alignment, and a consistent full swing tempo. That, and staying in the fairway landing zone. Club selection was what ever I decided to pull out of the bag at that moment. (B-)

From there, I moved to the short game practice area using my shorter (9I-LW) clubs. Using various swings, I hit another 50+/- balls to various targets. Everything from full swings to chip shots, while also hitting from different lies.. What ever there was room for. Focus was on alignment, swing tempo, and ball position in my stance. (B+)

While in the short game area, I spent a little time using that "no wrist cock" back swing for pitch shots. Think of this swing as a one piece take away, and starting the forward swing with no hinging of the wrists, while also using a full body turn towards the target. I really like this shot for club head control, and consistent distances.

From there it was to the putting green. Went through my 18 pin rotation, needing only 30 putts. Had two 3 putts, but offset those with some one putts. Same focus, as in alignment, and starting my back stroke with my front hand/arm. (A-)

It was a good, some what long morning of practice. I think if I had actually played, I would have had a good chance of carding an 80, or better score. I'm pretty happy where my game is at right now. Especially with our annual bragging rights tourney coming up in few weeks at Furnace Creek. Hoping for some dry, Death Valley heat. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 18

Too much golf the last few days! A bit stiff today.  So I focused on the stretches I do, hit 5 minutes worth of short chips and lobs and called it a day.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 4:

15 minutes of full swing work today with my 6I. Hit foam balls into my fence at home. Was hitting the ball thin, and made some adjustments and was back to hitting crisp shots. 

Edited by HJJ003
Spelling

• Administrator

Day 169 - July 22, 2018 - Worked with some juniors and took my 8-iron out to hit some shots here and there. Just wanted to feel a good takeaway and the ball drawing, though not with a big pull-draw type.

Gave the groin a bit of a rest as I tweaked it a tiny bit last night rolling over. (Adduction is what feels the worst.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 35, July 22

Alignment and grip work. It’s raining today and I’m still resting the pulled muscle.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 243  Spent time this evening working with my Impact Ball and also making pivots inside the door frame... focusing on turning and not swaying.   

Day 51.  Speed stick intro routine, but I forgot my radar (and my water bottle).  I did this at the range, and let me tell you it is a lot less spilkus-inducing to do these outside than inside.  The left-handed, especially left handed and step into it, are a valid source of entertainment for others.   Overall I enjoyed this and look forward to continuing this workout (especially if it produces as advertised).

I also did an hour of putting, mostly at about 8'.  Why you ask?  My last 10 rounds (I've had 12 since the start of June), strokes gained averaged over those 10 rounds, compared to 10 hcp:  off the tee lose 0.15 ; approach, gain 0.46 ; short game, lose 0.31 ; putting, lose 2.08.  I'm a 13.8 index (13.6 trend I believe) right now... so... does that qualify as a glaring weakness?  My judgement call is yes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 203  It sure helps to be only  5 minutes away, by car, from the golf course. Makes it so much easier to play, and practice at a moment's notice.

Today was more ball striking on the driving range. Target was a  fairway, made up using the existing flags. No need to use the whole driving range, since that would not represent the course's fairways. The range is probably 4, or 5 times wider. 

Hit about 50-60 balls. Some off a tee, others off the turf. Focus was on alignment,  my own full swing tempo, and landing the ball in my make shift, some what skinny fairway. Although I missed the fairway a few times, mostly with my longer clubs, the misses we're not that bad. Some would have still played well on the course. (B)

Moved over to the short game area. Praticed my hitting the ball over the hazard to the pin behind it. The hazard is a bunker, and dirt they took out of the bunker when building it, makes 3'-4' foot hill next to the bunker. The far side of that hill slopes to the practice pin 5 yards or so away. I use this for 10-40 pitch yard shots, clearing the hazards, landing the ball on the slope, and/or near the pin. I am now hitting all these distances with the no wrist cock back swing, coupled with a full follow though after ball impact. Hit 28 balls, using my 4 wedges. All of them cleared the hazards, leaving me decent putts if the pin was on an actual green. (A)

Another plus of hitting practice balls over hazards, is when encountered on the course, the intimidation factor is very low, or even non existent. It's just another,  normal golf shot to me. Plus, I like going after protected pins when playing for a score. 

Finished up with some putts on the chipping green. Using one ball, the idea was to chip the ball close enough to the pin for a one putt, and definitely no 3 putts. A few of my chips were off line due to poor reads of the green. These poor initial reads caused me some 2 putts. This practice green has 3 levels (tiers) to work with. (B+)

In My Bag:

Day 36, July 23

Mirror work and easy swings at the gym. Back feels better. Worked on alignment and swinging out where the face is aimed.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 5: 

30+ Minute Range Session. Focus today was on my shot zones off the tee. Hit 100% of my shots within my zone with my 3 wood (amazing day), and hit 60% of my shots within my zone for the driver. Driver wasn't as bad as it sounds, just went on a OTT pull streak which I was able to adjust and correct. 

DAY 244   Spent time today indoors using my Impact Ball and again doing pivots in the doorway to focus on staying centered.   I am SOOOO excited about tomorrow, as our temporary move is 95% complete and I can head back outside to the putting green and maybe even the range.  

Day 19 

Worked on pitching and chipping after work today. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 19

Another hot day (116 now in afternoon), so mainly did my 20 reps of stretches and then worked on aiming my lob shots better. Have had good height and good distance/roll.  However, I have been hitting about 4' to the right of target.  Mainly foot position it that where I thought I was aiming is not where I was aiming.  Better but far from perfect! 

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 51.  Putted 10' drill from Broadie for about 30 minutes, including a "what am I doing?" break.  Took me 45 holes to clear 10 points, possibly my worst showing.  I think my next putting practice might just be a 6' drill instead of beating my head at 10' putts.  Is it reasonable to try to get better at 6' and 8'?  The funny thing is, I'm not missing my 10' putts by that much... I'm just missing them that often.

I also did 15 minutes of pitching because this course has a pitching green.  Not just the "20 yards and in" that so many courses have -- I hit full on 35 yard half swing sand wedges... and I could have stepped back to 45 yards.  This course isn't that far from me.  Too bad their pitching green isn't in great shape though.  

Earlier in the day, did some swing motions with my head against a door jamb.  Not sure where I got this idea, I'm sure from somewhere.  But my latest priority piece is that I lost key #1... no really, I'll post video at some point.  How did I just have three good ball-striking rounds with my head moving like that? :-( 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Day 170 - July 23, 2018 - Worked on my putting with my kid a little bit after a rough day (for her) at a tournament.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 37, July 23

Playing 18 today. Will focus on alignment at set up.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 204.  Went to a different course today, to use their practice area. I want to practice on unfamiliar turf. My normal practice area has become so familiar, I know the reads almost by heart. 

It was all short game stuff this morning. Started with 30 yard pitch shots. Focus was on reads, alignment, crisp ball contact with the club face, and consistent swing tempo/timing. I am still using the no wrist cock back swing. The idea was to land the ball on the green after a quick read, and let the green roll the ball to the hole. Hit 14 balls from various areas to different pins. (C)

Next up was chips from about 6-7 feet off the green. Focus, and shots hit was identical to the previous pitch shots. Only difference was I was able to use a different green.  Also I used a different chipping stroke. That being Paul Runyon's chip/putt method. Using the different green allowed for having to make different reads for different landing areas. (C+)

From there I moved to the putting green. Using the 8 available practice pins, I did my normal routine. 8 clockwise, 8 counter clockwise, and 8 mixed up. All first putts were between 5-15 feet. Focus was on reads, alignment, and distance control. I only used one ball. Par was 48. Had two, 3 putts, that were countered by 3 one putts. Rest were all two putts. (A)

This practice area is pretty wide open, as is the whole course. By that I mean there are no trees available for shade. Due to the full, some what hot morning sun, I kind of rushed this practice. 

In My Bag: