IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 338  Rise and Grind....  I have already put in more than two hours on the range working through only one drill over and over....lots of slow swings, lots of practice swings, lots of doing the same drill.... hit maybe 50 balls.  Some progress on keeping my head still on the backswing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 299

Just some.light pitching, and chipping practice this morning. I like early morning practices. Not only does it help my golf game, it's also a great way for me to start my day with some exercises.

Focus was on just hitting the ball to my chosen landing areas, which were towels I had laid down as targets. Even hit a few of them. 

Edit; some where I messed up my continuous practice day numbers for 2018. Today is the 299th day of 2018. I thought it was 300th day. So, I have two "Day 299s". I know I have not missed a day of golf practice, or play this year. Just want to be accurate in my count...lol

Edited by Patch
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Day 256 - October 27, 2018 - Worked downtown for 10 minutes. Since I haven't detailed anything in awhile, it's a bit of several pieces:

• Left shoulder down (this is usually completely fine, but it got away from me when I was a bit injured earlier this year).
  • Hinge the club up and let the right elbow fold a bit earlier.
  • Feel that the trail elbow leaves my chest and that the club is almost across the line with a slightly cupped left wrist.
  • Feel the right palm face outward the entire downswing and the width of the swing maintained.

I can hyper-focus on one piece if I want, or do all of them pretty well (B or B+).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 43:

20 minutes or so of full swing work today in the backyard. Foam ball practice. Shanks have disappeared but still hitting some low thin shots. I’ll keep working. 

Day 18, October 27

Mirror work at the gym and some putting in the basement. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 108

Took only 4 clubs to the DR today. 50º wedge. 4h, 5h and Driver.

Used the wedge as worm up club. First 10 swings or so were just to loosen up. Happy with the ones I took with a plan for all aspects.

4h and 5h exceeded expectations.  Great loft and distance.

Drive is slowly becoming one of my best clubs. 195-210 or so with another 15 roll, soft fade.  What is good this week is the fact that a lot of the process seems automatic, though I know it is not.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 16: Didn't get to the range as I hoped, but I worked on my putting bead with the yardstick drill.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 50.  Being social for most of the day didn't stop me from hitting a dozen pitches in my practice room (UW, half swings, real balls, mat, into net, indoors). 

Edited by Shindig
font color as per rule.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

DAY 339    Rise and Grind.  Already have invested 2 plus hours on the range working on the same two issues over and over...... head steady on the backswing and chest more over the ball at impact (I tend to raise up).   Hopefully by Friday we will be able to see the improvements on video.

Day 300

35-40 yard pitching practice this morning. Hit about 40 balls once warmed up. Did this using my AW, and my putting stroke, which is also my chipping stroke. I have been quite successful at adapting this type of stroke to this shorter pitch shots.

Paul Runyon, I think, was the first to make this type of stroke popular for chipping. I just expaned on his instruction with these shorter pitch shots.  

Focus was on using my preshot routine to get proper aim, and alignment at my set up position. Then hitting my chosen landing area. 

The ball flies just like normal pitch shots. Normal being when used with normal wrist cocking pitching stroke.  It's in the air for most of the distance required. Up on landing, the roll out is minimal. I don't have clear cut facts, but I think using the putting stroke for this shot, while keeping my hands a head of the club face, puts more spin on the ball, which I believe, helps with consistent roll out. I also incorporate a little hip turn, from a slightly open stance. 

Another key factor for me when using this shot, is to have my clubface aimed square at my intended target line. Using an intermediate target (spot) a few inches in front of the ball, which sits on my overal target line, helps with proper aim. 

In My Bag:

Day 44: 

10 Minutes of full swing work in the yard today. Didnt use a ball, just focused on some positions and trying not to swing too "out". Alignment stick served as my feedback. 

• Administrator

Day 257 - October 28, 2018 - Putted while watching the Steelers game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 19, October 28

Some putting in the basement. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 109:

Same clubs as yesterday: Driver, 50º wedge, 4h and 5h.

Spent a more time trying to do more than simply "warm-up" with the wedge.  Spend some time controlling  the fullness of the swing (foot to foot, 4-8 and 3-9) as well as speed of the swing.  Made a mental (and later on paper) note of what did what. Distance, direction and loft were noted.  Most went roughly 100 yards, some a bit more, some a bit less, but I was able to plan on what I was expecting.  Fantastic to start having a feeling I can control my wedge shots. (Though, I do expect that will leave the first time I try it on the course!!)

Hybrids were a mixed bag.  Off the turf, I was hitting way too many low liners. Distance was hurt as a result, but not direction.  Made a few mental adjustments and loft and distance improved.  Will need to continue to work on these as they should be a major part of my game planning.  When I used either of them off a tee, I could not have been happier.

As to my driver, I have been in a groove as of late. Great loft and few off line.  I felt very comfortable. The one I really hit off line, I knew it wold be before contact was made, because I was physically uncomfortable during the downswing.

If I focus on the hybrids again off the turf tomorrow, I may use either my 58º or even my 6i first to warm-up.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 17: 5 minutes of mirror work. Worked on the feel to shallow out my down swing. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 51.  I found time today to hit ten minutes' worth of full swings.  As per usual, I focus on being set up right with the overhang. This was in my practice room (indoors, into net, off a mat, real balls).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 301

Spent time with my LW, and a full swing this morning. Hit balls with a closed face, square face, and open face,  just as reminder of the ball flights those positions  might cause.  Obviously I don't use a closed face very often, if at all.

Ball flights were lower, normal, and higher for this club. All three had different roll outs after landing. The roll outs were not representative of balls landing on a manicured green as I am using my friend's front lawn as a landing area. .  

The focus was on keeping what ever club face position I used, square to my target line. I did take note of approximate carry yardages too. 

My wife flies in from PA today, so planning to play tomorrow. 

In My Bag:

Day 45: 

Driving practice today...worked on the starting lines using the gate drill. My irons are still crap, but man I drove the ball well today. Hit my driver better than my strong 3 wood, but hit both pretty well.