IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 9 - January 8, 2020

Full swing work again. This is going to be almost everything that I do.

SuperSpeed again, and then a lot of work on the slow backswing, feeling the club fall behind me, and pulling it down from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 37

Some more pitching practice into my net today. Hit 54 balls focusing on the same things as before. I seem to have the basic technique down hitting into a net, but on course I still struggle, so really trying to make this motion completely thoughtless for me.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 1.  Let's try this again.  I went to the range this morning.  Small bucket (range balls, off a mat, into whatever), slow swings to get back to it (as I hadn't done much more than an occasional few swings in the past few weeks).  Also 10 minutes putting, mostly 6-8' 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 8

30 each with 7i and driver to continue keeping the swings in sequence and not as pushed.  Good swing speeds and solid distance was the result.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 38

Some more pitching practice into my net today. Lesson tomorrow so I’ll have stuff to work on. 

-Peter

• Administrator

Day 11 - January 10, 2020

Just work in the garage today as I didn't get downtown today. Same stuff as before - really working on the "dimension" of the arm when it starts down. Right palm up/out and right elbow down "behind" me (which isn't behind me at all, but it keeps the "elbow pit" up more).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 2.  After work, spent time to hit a dozen practice balls (indoors, off a mat, into a net, not real golf balls).  Slow practice swing, still thinking of the same weight shift.  Tried to visualize one of the par-3s I'll be playing tomorrow with a few of the shots. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 9

Ran through the 50º, 56º and 60º; fairly good results, better direction was solid.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 12 - January 11, 2020

Set up the station below today. Basically, the pool noodle is a foot inside the golf ball and a few feet off the ground. The yardstick is the angle it feels like I come into the ball with the shaft. Obviously if I get close to the noodle it'll move or I'll feel it or something.

2020-01-11 14.44.49.jpg

Worked well. Will set up again, I think. 🙂

I also played two games of Buckets with my last group of kids today. Won two of them.

Day 3.  Played 18, first round in almost two months.  Shot an 88 (posts as 87, ESC).  Most of my practice in the past two months has been full swing with irons (indoors, etc, see many practice logs) ... and it showed.  Drove at 10 hcp level, irons 0.51 strokes lost (so near scratch).  Short game and putting :-(  Well, at least those are things I can improve or get back in a hurry.  Another round like this and I'll declare them an emergency (I didn't properly warm them up today, not that I'm great at them otherwise). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 39

Had a lesson today and my instructor suggested I work on having a consistent pre shot routine, and also made some adjustments to my right hand grip. Had an hour on the launch monitor after the lesson so just worked on getting comfortable with changes to the right hand and also tried to come up with a pre shot routine that works for me. 

-Peter

Day 10

Only worked with 7i today.  Getting all speed up to lower 80's with consistency and 10 more yards.

• Administrator

Day 13 - January 12, 2020

Didn't have time to set up the station, so it was about ten balls before some lessons today. I wished for more time, but I was downtown from 8:15 am until 1:30 on what is otherwise an "off day."

Day 40

Worked on full swing stuff from my last lesson. Still figuring out a pre-shot routine. Hit 54 balls into my net (post-Sunday round) with 6-iron.

First, worked on making sure to take a full backswing. I actually started counting “1, 2, 3, go” to ensure a full turn before transition.

Also worked on the improved right hand neutral/short thumb grip. I have to work on not manipulating my arms/hands to square the club face. 

-Peter

Day 4.  Finished the day with some medicine ball drill.  I'm not sure if it was the winter yesterday (probably) or the lack of strength training (that too), but I felt like I needed more distance during my round yesterday.  Also I need to get back to the Speed Stix, so look for that soon.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 41

Worked on full swing stuff from my last lesson again. Still working on getting comfortable with the new and improved right hand grip. Previous grip was sort of a super strong death grip, and I had to make compensations to keep the club face from shutting at impact and hitting the ball left of the world. With the new grip, the club face should be delivered square with good swing (i.e., no compensations). Specifically, I was told to practice not stalling rotation.

So I hit 54 balls with a 7-iron, slow speed, just working on finishing the rotation through the strike and delivering the face more or less square. Didn't focus too much on strike quality, as I just want to get the motion right, so just paid attention to starting direction of the ball going into the net.

-Peter

• Administrator

Day 14 - January 13, 2020

Hit about 20 balls focusing on my full swing drills/feels. I actually spent a little time today feeling like I could take a faster backswing while still maintaining the structure at the top that's necessary for me to start down.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Day 14 - January 13, 2020

Hit about 20 balls focusing on my full swing drills/feels. I actually spent a little time today feeling like I could take a faster backswing while still maintaining the structure at the top that's necessary for me to start down.

My thoughts on that are if you take a faster backswing and maintain the 3:1 ratio then the downswing is faster, as well.  Not necessarily a bad thing.