IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 90 (7/05/21) - Medium bucket on the range today; worked on Driver, HW, 9w, 5h, 7i and wedges. Then did the "No 3-Putt" drill on the practice green (lag putts 20' or more) and practiced chipping to various pins from the rough.

One odd (to me) observation is that, based on my Swing Caddie SC100, I carry my HW and 9W roughly the same. Apparently I am hitting the 9W much more solidly.  Clearly more work needed on the HW.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 555 - July 5, 2021

Had a decent practice session yesterday for an hour that I documented in my Member swing topic. Then today, I played 18 holes with two former college players. I did well, and started off par birdie birdie. Lost the plot for a few shots on the back nine (not bad, just not quite fully there), and got it back toward the end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 9 (05 Jul 21) - pitches w/the 52* wedge and 9i - focused on keeping stable over the ball, keeping the contact centered on the club face. Love doing these drills as they reinforce making repeatable swings happen.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 13:

Really missing not having a net, and my ballstriking has suffered as a result. Did more backswing work today and a little bit of putting stuff indoors.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 41, July 5, 2021

Final Round Club Championship. Actually hit the ball well today, my putting was hmmm… better, my chipping has gone straight to hell. Well I had fun, didn’t win. Did take home a little skin money today (birdied 17 which is a 470 yard par 4). So it wasn’t a total loss, but Golf is Hard.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 256: Played 18 muggy and buggy holes. Driver was off but didn’t get me into too much trouble. Long irons were better and short game decent.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3070991

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 10 (6 Jul 21) - Chip, chip, chipping away today.  Took the 8i and worked to keep the ball down and have it land and roll more than it flew.  Also took the 22* hybrid and did the same.  Big thing was again paying attention to the "impact" zone on the club by keeping head down, weight centered to slightly forward.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 91 (7/06/21) - Practiced toe down chips with my 54* wedge and setup positions with my Heavenwood. 

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 132.  Yesterday, 7/5/21, was a miss, my first in over a month.

Today, I did some putting practice on a putting carpet.  I'm visiting someone who doesn't play, so imagine my surprise when they had a putting practice carpet.  Why yes, I did bring my putter and a sleeve of balls.  I focused on form and timing, hitting 5' putts on this carpeted thing.  Not sure how I feel about it, but I believe it's got to be better than not practicing putting. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 42, July 6, 2021:

Was shown an interesting, different way to hit my nemesis 40-80 yard wedge shots yesterday. So I tried it today. Instead of trying to keep stance width the same, I opened up my stance and narrowed it a little bit for each little bit I wanted to take off, while maintaining an accelerating strike, apparently it shortens the swing, without having to worry about the arms, you’re just narrowing the stance. Feet together 60° goes about 40 yards, a clubhead apart between 50 or so, a about 2 clubheads 60 yards, every clubhead adds about 10 yards. The Club Champion showed me this on the range yesterday before I left. 

He said he does feet together yardages, small step apart, medium step, and shoulder width yardages. And it works pretty good, you can take a few yards off by gripping down, too. I guess it quiets the legs, a lot, then quite a bit, then a little bit, and and finally normal release.

Edited by onthehunt526
A few grammar things that are still probably wrong.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

Day 556 - July 6, 2021

Errands took longer than they should have today, so I got in a shorter practice session than I'd have liked before a set of lessons. But, then I got out to play nine (slow) holes. Hit some really good shots, hit some "okay" shots. I'll write a bit more in my Member Swing topic.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 14:

Indoor putting yardstick drill. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 257: Played 18 this morning. Rode a cart because it was beastly out. I played pretty well for the most part with zero warm up. Joined another single and we did 18 in 2:15. Driver was squirrelly at the start, but I avoided trouble. Birdied one par three and parred the rest with an U/D and sand save. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3071315

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 92 (7/07/21) - Medium bucket at the range today. Warmed up with ten 7-iron shots, starting with 9-3 swings then to full swing.

Next, hit Heavenwoods with pretty mixed results. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that my carry distance with this club is not enough longer than that of my 9-wood (which I hit really well) to justify carrying the club. It is good as an alternate off the tee, however, so I'll keep working with the club and see if I can make it work better.

After hitting some 5 hybrids, I used the "Target" mode with my Swing Caddie, to hit targeted wedge shots from 40-80 yards using PW, UW and SW. The challenge is to set a "target" at a specific yardage on the launch monitor and see how well you do hitting shots to that distance (carry).  I found having to visualize a target, rather than looking at one, at a specific yardage and making the appropriate swing to hit to said distance a challenge, but really good practice. 

Day 43, July 7, 2021

30-110 yard wedge shot practice with all four of my wedges with different stance widths being used.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Day 11 (07 Jul 21) - Played 18 today.  As it was my son and grandson in our group, took my time to work on tempo of the swing.  Paid off as the ball was consistently in the short grass.  Also wedge work in the approaches was much better - the steady work around the yard to "know" the swing and related distance paid off.   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 557 - July 7, 2021

Practiced for 45 minutes (update in Member Swing topic), then played 12 holes or so on the course. Not great, but it will serve as a nice kick in the ass.

Day 133.  I spent 15 minutes on full swing with a 6-iron earlier today;  all swings were slow except the very last one which was at speed.  The slow and deliberate mechanism is to make sure my changed picture remains changed.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.