IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 82, August 15, 2021:

Did some backswing work mostly weight shift stuff from arms parallel to the top of the swing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 171.  Third day of club championship.  Did some swing related exaggerations at the range before the round and, for each shot, focused to make sure I was setup properly and just put a good swing.  I didn't try to kill the driver, just put it in play.  I selected what I thought was the right club for each approach shot.  I hit eight greens in regulation en route to an 82, good enough to win my flight by two strokes.  

I three-putted the final green (after hitting it in regulation with a 54 degree);  first putt was way short, I marked and waited.  The rest of my group finished, and while I was putting, unbeknownst to me, checked the leaderboard.  Sure enough, I could have four putted that green for the win (we were the final group out in our flight), so I didn't know after missing that second putt that it didn't eliminate me.  I tapped in for a six, my only bogey on a par-5 all week, and my first win in a club championship (well, my flight at least). 

I don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here.  Strokes gained (well, lost) today:  Off the tee:  1.74 (better than the 10 handicap mark, and I averaged 214 yards), Approach: 1.03 (better than the 5 handicap mark by more than a full stroke), Short game: 2.78 (better than the 20 handicap mark), Putting: 5.64 (far better than the 12 strokes lost putting round I had a few months ago).

Averaged over the three-round tournament:  SLTee: 3.35, Approach 1.85, Short game 3.1, Putting 3.89.  All better than the 20 handicap mark;  off the tee misses the 15 handicap mark by .06 strokes (not bad, considering round two had two lost balls off the tee!), and that approach number is just amazing.   There's a lot of Evolvr lessons and practice time in that number and I'm very proud of producing that.  Now to improve on that... :-)  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 294: Played 18 this morning. First time in a while I didn’t have to wear rain gloves due to the humidity. Played okay and shot an 81.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 172.  Half an hour working on my full swing priority piece slowly.  This was about eight balls hit, total, in that time, but was useful practice.  Regularly checking my position at A3 brought me back to early days of Evolvr practice when I had to check a lot of things at A3 too, but that was also when I saw the most improvement.

Side note 1:  I really need to do the write-up for my home practice room;  it's been years since I solicited advice about it and I think it's in a steady and productive state.  This also relates to side note 2.

Side note 2:  It's really hard to not treat a ball to hit as a free resource when practicing at home into a net.  At least at the range, I'm paying by the ball, but here, if I decide to hit one, and want it back, I have to walk like a foot or two at most to pick it up.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 51 (16 Aug 21) - Played 18 today, used the drills from yesterday to warm-up. Focused on using these same motions through the round to set up each shot.  More consistent ball flight through the round.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 16:

Did a little bit of backswing tune-up building on the exaggerated feel I used in my round yesterday. Then worked a bunch on my downswing priority piece; did rehearsals slowed way down, almost to swing mapping speed. After about 10 minutes of that, I hit some balls at what felt like about 50% speed.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 52 (17 Aug 21)- Wedge work in the back with the 58.  Focus was on accuracy/proximity to the hole.  Success was shots that finished within 10’ of the hole, not successful were shots wide, deep or short….figured it was a good day, with 3 out of 5 deemed successful.  Shots ranged from 10 to 35 yds.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 295: Some wedge swings working on right elbow feel.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 173.  More of the full swing practice;  slow, making the necessary checks at A3.  20 minutes today, five balls.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 17:

Started off with some recentering drills, because recent Mevo numbers are showing higher than desired launch angles, and typically this is me failing at recentering.

Also noticed that I am repositioning my right hand grip into a stronger grip sometime between takeaway and transition, so I did some rehearsals and grip checks at top of the backswing, along with consciously gripping more firmly.

Finally, did some practice on full swing priority piece with 7-iron.

-Peter

Day 296: Played 18 this morning and shot my low score at this course of 78. I missed two other birdie putts which were makeable. 😜 Played with a 14 year old kid who went on and played another 18!.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3089643

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 174.  More of the same, except the connections are getting more solid more often (maybe I can speed up at some point).  20 minutes, about a half dozen balls, of full swing with checking positions at A3

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 53 (18 Aug 21) - Full swing work with 4h and 3w in back yard today w/hard foam balls.  Worked on coming through the ball with bruising of the grass post contact.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 18:

Worked on recentering before transition again.

Then did COVID-19 day 6 and 7 short game drills. 

-Peter

Day 53 (19 Aug 21) - Focused on pre-shot routine with the 6i in the backyard using the hard foam balls.  Used the power pole as the target in the neighbor's yard (he has told me not to worry and is good enough to return any balls he finds when he mows - always foam balls, never hit hard ones into his yard).  Without going into too much detail  - the power pole is a great vertical alignment that I can use to set the club.  Then I set my grip while staying perpendicular to the sight line.  I then turn to address the ball keeping my eyes on the target while doing some waggles to settle the feet in.  Once I am set I look down at the ball, then one more time at the target and then back to the ball and off we go.   I purposed today to slow the process down, forcing myself to relax into the swing.  This helped accuracy tremendously as I was doing this while "tired" from a morning of yard work.  The same type of tired I get when I am about 14-15 holes in on these summer days.  I have noticed more and more, that I get super slack on the last holes of a round and purposing to keep the form while "tired" will help keep the form while fresh.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 297: Filmed some partial wedges for Evolvr.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Day 600 - August 19, 2021

Hit a few balls downtown before a lesson, then hit a few shots at the course while my kids were playing their tryout rounds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 19:

Did more recentering work today, this time focusing more on tempo (or is it rhythm?). Basically, finding the right speed/timing that helps make sure I’ve recentered back to my lead side before I deliver the club to the ball.

Also some practice not regripping my right hand mid backswing.

And some COVID-19 days 6 and 7 short game drills.

Haven't gotten much filming in, but starting to notice a bit of EE, so I might build one of the butt board things I saw on this site awhile ago. 

-Peter