IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 348: Play 14 holes today at a crappy course with two friends. They just aerated and sanded the greens and it was mostly wet. My buddy’s back got sore on 13 and since it was really slow, we decided to bag it and go get lunch. I was pretty good off the tee with everything but driver. Need to work more on that because I haven’t had confidence with it lately on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 102 (08 Oct 21) - back to the course today played 18.  Worked on dialing in the grip, sensing pressure points in the fingers.  Proved to be good work as ball striking was much more consistent across all the clubs.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 222.  After work today, I spent 10 minutes chipping at home -- quarter shots with a PW, off a mat, into a net, indoors. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 69:

Worked on downswing stuff with 7-iron. Ball is starting right, and launch angle is higher than normal, so I think the feel of leaving the clubface open (to prevent flip) has probably gone too far.

Also did a little work on COVID-19 day 6/7 drills.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 103 (09 Oct 21) - Soggy, rainy day - opted for putting on the little green I keep setup in the hall.  Worked on tempo and follow thru, i.e. making sure the stroke finished as far forward as made on backstroke.  Completed about 60 putts total.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 70:

Got home late from a birthday party, but had a little light left to do some chipping/pitching practice, and a hit a few balls with full swing, 7-iron, working on downswing stuff.

-Peter

DAY 29:

After rolling a 73 😁 this morning, I decided to positively reinforce that success with a late night indoor range session (30 min).

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Day 223.  I played 14 holes of pretty good golf today.  However, I played 18 holes total.

(Actually, one of those 14 was a double bogey that was totally avoidable)

Anyway, I played 18 today.  First 8 holes, nothing worse than a 5, +4 total, and left a few putts on lips.  Last 6 holes, +3 total, including a double bogey on hole 15 that I totally should have been able to make bogey on.

I shot an 87.  Let's not talk about holes 9-12 inclusive, as they included a pitch out and then a missed green, two failed punch shots (I should have just hit a full shot at a different target, and furthermore, I should know that), a chip shot from too close to a sprinkler I should have ... there's a way to get relief if you're near a greenside sprinkler?  I should look that up.  

Strokes gained/lost: drove it half a stroke better than the 15 handicap mark and within a third of a stroke of the 10 handicap mark -- considering I had to punch or pitch out twice, that's pretty good!   Approach about a third of a stroke worse than 10 handicap, which was great considering I know where I lost at least two of them on hole ten right there.   And putting:  2.1 SLP, better than the 10 handicap mark, despite missing a 2' par putt on 3 (I did, however, make a 20-some footer on hole 2).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

DAY 30:

Rain, rain, rain...  But is that gonna' stop me?  Nope!

Indoor range session, focus on elbow alignment per Ben Hogan. 😁

Day 71:

Played 18 and it went well. Not as well as I would have liked, a couple triple bogeys derailed a good score, but pleased with progress.

• Like 1

-Peter

Day 349 and 350: Did practice into my net working on my PP. Filmed both days. Still need to get my shoulders to continue to rotate through and past impact.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 104 (10 Oct 21) - Got in the backyard this afternoon, working on the grip and also swing tempo - smooth and easy as I was wedging it today.  Started with the 50* wedge and hard foam ball as they fly pretty true, just not that far.  After several sets of five, I switched up to the 54* wedge and regular balls.  Same steps, just working to land the ball within a couple of yards of the target.  As all swings were in the 1/2 swing range it proved to be a good afternoon of just making solid contact with a few fliers and chunked shots thrown in to keep things honest.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Today was a long day filled with lots of not-golf (but good things just the same).  I still found ten minutes to practice at the end of the day.

Day 224.   I hit punch shots with a 5-iron (indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls) for five minutes and then hit chip shots with my 54 for another 5.  Why these?  Every really bad hole yesterday (five worse-than-bogeys) all included at least one of these shots executed poorly.  As in, I didn't even hit them in some reasonable fashion.  I think keeping errors like this out has been really good for me, and I don't want them creeping back in.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 351: Went to a course and worked on short game for about 45 minutes. Then I went to the range and worked on my PP feels. Finished with a flow drill.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 105 (11 Oct 21) - Easy swings in the backyard with the PW, 7i and BirdieBalls.  Love working with these chunks of plastic as they give you a pretty good picture of ball flight when struck properly.  Starting to see consistent, predictable flight.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I prefer these Almost Golf Balls for my practice.  They're like actual golf balls but 1/3 distance. 😎

AlmostGolfBalls.jpg

• Upvote 1

Day 72:

Did a little self-diagnosis of what I think is going on with my swing lately, and worked on backswing, specifically lead arm adduction, and getting depth with shoulder turn and not just moving lead arm more across my chest. Did a bunch of rehearsals after addressing the ball working on keeping my lead wrist inside trail shoulder during the backswing.

Then moved to working on downswing stuff, which I feel went okay, but took awhile to "find" the ball while focusing on the aforementioned backswing element.

28 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

I prefer these Almost Golf Balls for my practice.  They're like actual golf balls but 1/3 distance. 😎

AlmostGolfBalls.jpg

I use Almost Golf balls when hitting driver, 3W or hybrid into my net in the yard. Had enough near misses with real balls breaking through the net that I don't want to risk property or facial damage from a high speed ricochet. They give enough feedback on strikes without much risk.

• Like 1

-Peter

54 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

... I use Almost Golf balls when hitting driver, 3W or hybrid into my net in the yard. Had enough near misses with real balls breaking through the net that I don't want to risk property or facial damage from a high speed ricochet. They give enough feedback on strikes without much risk.

I've used wiffle balls (Maxfli/Skillz) and foam balls (Callaway), and nothing comes close to the feedback I get from Almost Golf Balls.  The only thing better are real golf balls.

Edited by HankBlue