IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 85 - April 28, 2018 - Some practice before the last Junior Elite Program. Backswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 23 of 25:

Downswing practice in my backyard. Filmed some of it for my swing thread. Still working on elbows. 

Day 31 - 4 hours of yard work kind of put a damper on a good work session. But I did do a bit of pitching today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4/28/18

Day 393:

Five minutes of firming up grip pressure at the top of the backswing.

118 of 118 in 2018.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

DAY 159   Spent almost three hours on the range doing the same drill!!!    Half swings -- hitting balls with my feet together.   The only drill I was assigned this week to work on keeping my head more centered throughout the swing and improving the release of the club.   Then played 5 holes and really hit the ball well, particularly the driver.  So some progress.  :-)

Day 118

Did something different today due to boredom. I practiced hitting low running shots from about 40 yards off the practice green. I used my longer, chipping stroke, and my 7 wood.  Focus was to get the ball to stop on the green, near a pin I picked out. That said, just keeping the ball on the green was a good thing. 

The maintenance folks had mowed the area earlier in the day, so this was a good time to try out this shot. 

This is a good shot for me to use when I can go under a tree limb, or something. 

After that, I went over to the 5' mound, and hit a few uneven lie shots. Above the feet, below the feet side hill lies, and the up hill, down hill lies. Focus was on aim, and ball position in the stance for the different lies. My trolley was my aim point on all the different shots, since it was moveable. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 61 - hit 8i into net with focus on steady head. Pulling things today

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My mental game is my only barrier to lower scores. As such, I've spent a half hour imaging (not imagining, but imaging) every shot from my round tomorrow morning. It's going to be cold which I don't care about. What I care about is hitting a fade on the first tee, pulling out my 5i and hitting a towering draw into this shortish par five. From there I have an easy 2 putt birdie since I ended up pin high and 20 feet left of this back right pin. 

If mental imaging doesn't cut it, I also played a practice nine, lol! I walked and hit two balls for each shot, ha! No need for a rules ruling here:) I played "worst ball" format for this wide open nine (wind chill was about 38, ironically the same score as I-nope I kid only, add 10 to this "worse ball" format!) 

Day 2

This is going to be tough once I hit a 16 hour workday. Dunno if I can keep this up but I'm going to try for sure. Those achievements look great in the sig line! If this is any indication as to what it takes they are ALL well earned and beyond. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4/29/17:

Day 394:

Most of the work today was on light grip pressure at address and swinging to the top so I can "feel" the difference. It does naturally get firmer as you go farther back. You can definitely tell. Mainly the focus was the middle, ring, and little finger of my lead hand being firm and the index and middle finger on the right are firm at the top of the swing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 119

Flop practice today. The practice area has a bunker, and about 20' feet from it is a flag pin. The ideal was to hit the ball over the bunker, landing it near the pin.

On the far side of the bunker from hitting position is a mound about 5' foot high. So, not only did I need to clear the bunker, I had to get the ball over the mound too.  Hence, my flop shot. 

Focus was on not paying any attention to the bunker. Just the flag. Sometimes it doubled as a water hazard...lol

With adjustments, I hit shots between 20-50 yards long, using various clubs. 56 shots all totalled. Five balls didn't clear the mound, rolled back into the bunker, and then became practice shots off the firm sand. Those shots had to  also clear the mound, which was now 7+/- feet tall. 

Finished up the session with some 5' foot putts on the nearby practice green. 

Gave myself a solid  "B" grade for the session. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Day 86 - April 29, 2018 - Practicing downtown while waiting for the Pens game to start, and then going to the sports banquet for my college golf team.

16 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

My mental game is my only barrier to lower scores.

No, it's not. Your swing, putting stroke, short game, etc. are much, much bigger barriers.

Lots of other topics about this. Please find one and post something in there, so others can respond and discuss appropriately.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 160   Spent 90 minutes on the range doing the Feet Together Drill.  Then 75 minutes on the putting green using the Pelz Putting Tutor and working on  6 foot putts.   Lunch.  Back to the range for 45 minutes again doing the Feet Together Drill.  Then 9 holes..  made a couple of birdies on the par 5s, for a 1 under score.    Now to rest!!!

Day 32 - worked about 40 minutes with slow swings focusing on my priority piece, keeping the right elbow bent longer through impact. I feel I’m slowly changing the picture, but I have setbacks when I play. I will just keep plugging away. This one may take a while to change. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Day 86 - April 29, 2018 - Practicing downtown while waiting for the Pens game to start, and then going to the sports banquet for my college golf team.

No, it's not. Your swing, putting stroke, short game, etc. are much, much bigger barriers.

Lots of other topics about this. Please find one and post something in there, so others can respond and discuss appropriately.

I disagree but this isn't the page for that:)

Day 3. I spent 45 minutes on the practice green prior to my round. I'd have spent it on the range but their range picker was stuck in the mud and out of commission. No balls= no range. I'd love to say I then putted lights out today but that'd be a lie. I left about 6 putts one or two revolutions from going in. 

Golf is hard. Spring golf is harder. 

Day 4 (Had to skip yesterday due to a wrist strain)

Worked on hip turn against a chair. Did slow backswings, keeping my hip against the chair. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 62 - used SW to clip weeds growing in back yard with focus on steady head (centered turn).

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 24 of 26:

Sick wife today so didn’t have a lot of time until her and both kiddos were in bed. 10 minutes of mirror work. Elbows elbows elbows. 

4/30/18:

Day 395:

Most of the work today was on first move down. I hadn't noticed before, but the gentle hip slide does come before you come down with the arms. It was just an observation and probably why I'm missing the mark and hanging back a little too much recently. Here comes the 175-yard 6-iron again.

Four months down, eight to go in 2018. And that makes one full year plus one month on the running total for those keeping score at home.

This is a little off-topic, but related I haven't been really swinging at even 60-65% effort. I screwed up my back at work, and it is hard to put any extra torsion or stress on it, so my distance is suffering right now. But the practice challenge is not.

What's in Shane's Bag?