IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 108.  My main practice today was putting (although I did my usual full swing and drills at home, and a little at the range).  4', took 14 putts for the 12-coin drill, 6' took 21 putts.  I will be thrilled if I can putt at that rate soon.

I think I may need to, one of these days soon, allocate the time to do a full "putt 4-footers until you make 12 in a row" drill.  A year ago it was such that if I tried, I'd likely be divorced before I completed the drill.  Now I think I might be able to do it with a few 13- and 14- scores having happened. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 156:

• Continued working on priority piece from previous lesson since I don't really have a significant new piece aside from some driver setup changes and feel. Hit balls with 7-iron, full swing but only enough speed for 90-100 yard shots, measured by Mevo+. I'm still 50/50 on this and success comes and goes. Today was pretty good though.
  • Continued with 7-iron and worked on pre-shot routine. Did this for 10 balls, full speed swings.
  • Switched to driver and did a little static work to get comfortable with setup changes. Then hit some "almost golf" balls with the feeling of head staying behind the ball. Measured swings with Mevo+, and happy to see my AoA in the 2-4 degree upward range, and the ball flight being a straight push or push draw. I've lost 4-5 mph clubhead speed since having Covid and stopping speed training, but I don't have time to work on speed and mechanics, and right now I think the mechanics are more important. I will start speed training again this winter with Stack System.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 606: Drills at the range working on my pieces. Today’s work. I still have work to do on this and it is challenging changing the picture. After filming the drills, I worked on center-face contact with a dry erase. I have been toeing shots with irons. With my new more vertical setup, I need to stand closer to the ball. I feel like I’m almost too close with I get good contact.

Finished with some chipping work. @Bob M was working diligently at the range and practice green too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 237 - 

Range - Small bucket; started with 7 iron, then Driver and finished with 9 iron. Rather than setting up slightly closed with the ball back in my stance for all clubs (as I have done for the past year or so), I have been working on a square stance with the ball slightly forward. I'm not really losing any distance and like the trajectory a whole lot better.

Practice green - Did about 10 minutes of block practice, hitting chips with LW thru PW from the fringe and checking the total distance. The did random practice from different lies (about 20 minutes) and finished up with 9 holes of "chip and putt". For the latter, I used 1 ball dropping it in various lies around the green; shot a 27 (versus my target of 21). 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 10 (23 Jun 22) -  Full swings today with the 7i and hard foam balls.  Worked on keeping swing path in to out thru the ball. Also worked on keeping head centered and weight forward.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 235, June 23, 2022

Hit some balls during a playing lesson with a little pause. I'm weirdly good at this. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 109.  My match in my Club's match play tournament, round of eight, was today.  I won 1-up.  I'd tell you how the stats work from a SG perspective, but GG seems to have reverted a feature that worked since 2016 that I'd need.

5 GIR, another 8 near-GIR, doesn't sound like a good ball striking day.  I had 18 GIRPs (putter in hand for par attempt on each hole).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 3: 6/23/2022

Spent time in the garage working on a couple of things. Mostly keeping my head still and my set up a little taller with a slightly stronger grip. 
Trying to get back to some of the basics. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 157:

Static work on driver setup. A few driver swings with fake golf balls, working on not lunging, and feeling like I am keeping head behind the ball.

Worked on continuing priority piece of exaggerating weight forward, also working on making sure I complete my backswing. Finished with a few full speed swings with pre-shot routine before the shot.

-Peter

Day 607: worked on the same pieces and revised my rehearsals. Filmed it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 11 (24 Jun 22) - played 18 at Minnesott today, worked with a new putter (to me) - my son’s Odyssey Versa.  Took a while to adjust, saw it in the number of near misses.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 110.  I felt as though I hit some poor hybrids yesterday (although counting back, 5 of my 8 hybrid shots were quite good, two of which hit greens and two ended near greens in my desired miss location, so why did I have this impression?), so I hit a dozen range "balls" (home practice room) with slow, deliberate hybrid swings and a few at speed.  

I plan to practice more today, with the intent to go to a real putting green and work on 25 foot putts with the LSW first drill of the type, and some short putts too, but I haven't done that yet and wanted to post the first practice session.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 238 - 9-hole league tonight; shot and 8 over 42 which included my second birdie of the year. It also included a 10 minute rainstorm....

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 4: 6/24/2022

Today I worked on my priority piece with both a 7 iron and with a 5 iron. I was only hitting balls into the net in the garage so I'm not sure about ball flight. 

The swing "felt" good though. ... which worries me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 110, part 2.  Did putting as promised.  I didn't do any short-putt drills, but for long putts, I set up a goal post and did the "long putts" drill from LSW, from 8, 10, 12, and 14 steps.  It took me a total of 27 attempts, and I never had to move forward, but now that I look at the description, I did the drill with 1/3 was enough to not have to move forward, so I didn't do the drill right.  Probably still good practice, but I'll get it right next time I do the drill. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Day 236, June 24, 2022

Played 18 at Zoar Village Golf Club. Irons are good. Driver… is coming around, slowly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 158:

Worked on full swing changes with 7-iron. Slow speed, trying to hit about 100 yard shots. After 20 balls hit 5 more full speed with pre shot routine.

-Peter

Day 239 - Practiced chipping stroke with my 49* UW (about 30 balls) then practiced motion for flighted wedge shot with the same club.