IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 149.  Thirty balls, focus on setup and A1 to A3 in the backswing.  Indoors, off a mat, into the net.

Maybe because the priority piece was simple, or if I'm doing it wrong perhaps, I feel I owned this change much more quickly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 49 (02 Aug 22) - Repeat of yesterday’s drill - 7i off the mat into the net with foot powder on the club face.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 8: Set up the tripod and old iphone camera for some video work. I think I was setting up a bit too close to the ball and hands too close to my body. I rehearsed backswings, pausing sometimes at A2, sometimes at P6, and then moving through impact. I was looking at the plane coming down on the video, and was checking the face angle directly while I was doing the drill. I did this for a while with foam balls. After maybe 20-30 minutes, I changed to real golf balls, turned on the launch monitor, and hit shots at 30-60% effort. I was consistent, but not a good pattern (ball starting straight and curving left).  I worked on face control and eventually was able to get a better pattern with the ball starting out right, but it was a bit of an over-correction, as only about 1/3 of these curved back to the target. The others were pushes or push fades.  

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 278 - Hot and humid today so I stuck to some 9 to 3 shots and trail hand only finesse shots in the yard, about 15 minutes total. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 150.  Began with a dozen balls at home, and then about 40 at the range.  At home, and starting at the range, were 6-iron, same focus as above.  I then did hybrid, 4-wood, and driver.   I got video of the 6-iron and driver and some putting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 50 (03 Aug 22) - worked with the driver, the mat, net and foot spray today.  Messed around with varied tee heights to see what height best fit.  Also spent time doing pitches to the target set up in the yard.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 275, August 3, 2022

Went to Lake View afterward to practice. Thought I was doing a bit better than I was. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 18: 8/3/2022

League night tonight. I played surprisingly well. 

Best I've hit the driver in a long time. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 9: All indoor work into the launch monitor/simulator. Mostly foam balls. I was doing several things, mostly trying to pivot correctly and stop dropping/deepening the club in transition. I worked a bit on my trail elbow. I was coming a bit too much from the inside and hitting it in the toe; after some experimenting I tried reducing my right elbow bend at the top and in transition, and this gave me more centered contact and a bit less right path. Helped the face angle as well. 

JP Bouffard

Day 279 - Went to the NKGC range today despite the heat and humidity. Small bucket: used the practice bunker to work on sand shots, block practice with finesse shots with my 58*, random practice alternating driver and 23* UW hitting to a "fairway" in the range and following my full routine.

Practice green: since there was nobody there, I could hit finesse shots to various holes on the green from various lies around the green. Putted out on a few of them. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 642: Too hot and humid for the range today, plus I’m helping a friend paint their basement (it has a/c!). But I did do a bit of setup work and re-read my Erie notes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 276, August 4, 2022

Good nearly two hours downtown before lessons. Supremely frustrating, then good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 51 (04 Aug 22) - played 18 with my son and grandson today.  Approach short game killed the round for me, just never got locked in.  Made for a seriously long round of course management being put to the full test.  Still was a fun day with my son and seeing him work his new irons.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 19: 8/4/2022

Today was mirror work with the driver. I actually hit my driver really well in league last night. According to Shot Scope I had a 309 yard drive. It was my longest of the year. (Yes, I had a tailwind and yes, it's a fast fairway) Ended up just off the fairway so my longest on the Shot Scope Leader Board still say 303 and change. I had 3 drives over 250 and one more over 275. (The one over 275 was a thing of beauty.) Most importantly no penalties from the tee. 

Having said that, my driver swing doesn't "feel" right. So, I spent time in the basement mirrors looking at what does "feel" right and what "looks" right. Trying to rationalize what's going on. 

I have a wicked bad left wrist cupping issue, which I must be compensating for about a million ways in order to hit good drives. 

I'd like to get to the range tomorrow. I'd also like to capture some video. but it's going to be tough. Tomorrow will be an insanely busy day. We shall see. 

Day 151.  I played 18 today.  I am very happy with every club that I hit outside of 50 yards.  

I had my putter in hand for every par attempt.  Only one of these was even from off the green.

I hit 9 GIRs.  There were another two holes where I hit driver, then a positional shot (one was a par-4 I wasn't reaching in two even with an above-average drive and average 4W, the other was a great drive but I put myself behind a tree by bad luck), then hit the green with my next shot, a full swing in both cases.  I only hit six pitch or chip shots all day.  Two were greens I missed by enough to necessitate it, but both were near-GIRs.   The other four were on the last two par-5s, where I was inside 50 yards for my third shot, hit a terrible one and needed another (violating the first rule of the short game).   Note to self, practice that shot, I used to be good at it (the 50 yard pitch).   

In addition to these 9 GIRs, the four others mentioned (two where a full shot left me a par putt after a positional, and two where I was near-GIR and had to pitch), I hit three "collars in regulation" -- the last three holes, which I played par-par-bogey.   

I shot 80 on the nose.  Great day. 

Low lights of the round were my third shot on the par-5 11th, a 55 yard pitch to the green, I snap faded a pitch and still had to pitch on.  Then on the par-5 14th, I had a 45 yard pitch to the green and I don't think I bladed it, but suddenly I was 45 yards on the other side of the green.  Oh and my putting.

The highlight was birdie at #12.  I think I already have a "hole twelve" birdie for the challenge, but birdies are fun anyway.  I also parred the long par-3 17th, which I had yet to do at this course.  Anyway, in summary, compared to the 10 hcp baseline, here's my round today.  But things are coming around.

image.png.89ddaacef30de2811853b27c19ac7e8c.png.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 10: More of the same type of work. One hand drills with each hand, foam balls, then real balls, to warm up and rehearse wrist action. Then easy swings with real balls, concentrating on wrist position, right elbow bend, and getting the club in the proper delivery position. Still fighting a shut face, but it was noticeably better tonight than last night, even such that I could make some ~80% swings and have decent path and face numbers. 

JP Bouffard

Day 20: 2/5/2022

I got to the range. Hit driver mostly. I even filmed my driver swing today. I'm going to try to get those up on CoachNow for Yoda to look at. Although, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going to say.

My driver has gone from a total disaster to fairly effective, but needs work. I have a couple of hip issues I'm working on, and I'm forever working on swing path. The good news is that for the first time in about a week, I "feel" like I can there. Last week at this time I had no clue. 

Day 152.  In addition to my Fit for Golf workout, today I hit two dozen quarter shots, split evenly between the PW and the 8-iron.  These are shots that I can hit between 40 and 70 yards (with those particular clubs) that don't get far off the ground and really can't traverse rough or hazard, but if I have just short grass, they should be shots I consider.  Yesterday, my two longest poor shots were in that range, so I wanted to get some practice in.

I also hit a dozen full swing 6-iron shots, and I plan to hit more later in the day (along with some putting later).

I also did Speed Sticks. 

-- Michael | My swing!