IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 59 (12 Aug 22) a rainy inside day, worked on lag putts from about 15’ and chipping whiffle balls into a small bucket (the latter is a constant game with the grandson - he was my chipping partner today).  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 18: I practiced one arm drills, 3-9 drills, and full swings. 6 iron then driver... I was working on face control. I tried varying my arm position at address, and worked on hand path in the downswing. Still not very happy with the results (shut face), but the errors were smaller tonight and they were almost all left. When I started out, it was big left and right misses. So maybe some progress.

Edited by Big Lex
corrected the day

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 159.  Today was day one of my club championship.  I shot an 81, good for low gross (through 18) in my flight.  4 GIRs, the rest were either collars or near-GIR (I guess the former is a subset of the latter), 18 GIRPs.  

17/18 holes were scored 5 or better, but I bogeyed the par-5 16th (three putt from 60 feet or so) for a lone six. 😞  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 7:

Backswing rehearsals using patio door as mirror. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 60 (13 Aug 22) - worked with the 8i thru GW making pitch shots in the backyard this morning.  Focus was on adjusting flight by setting up with the ball center/fwd/back in stance.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 288 - Did pretty well with the driver last night, otherwise it was like a beginner took my place.  My approach shots last night were generally poor and in particular, poor shots with my fairway woods and hybrids cost me at least 5 strokes in 9-holes.  

Today I spent 15-minutes doing Tyler Ferrell's "Drag thru drill" and some 9 to 3 swings using my 5-wood (no ball) focused on rotating my hips, getting my weight on the front foot and keeping my arms extended. I will probably do this drill for the next few days, adding AlmostGOLF balls, before trying it on the range.

Also worked on chipping mechanics (several mediocre to poor chips last night). 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 160.  Round two of the club championship.  Shot an 87, had three doubles, plus two sixes on par-5s.  Tied for the lead going into the last day (tomorrow).   On hole 15, a long par-4, my streak of 49 consecutive holes (dating back to hole two of the round prior to the club championship) of having putter in hand ended. 😞 

One thing I have noticed over the past three rounds is my missed putts are getting a lot better.  So the time above with putting practice is paying off.  And my full swing is going well too. 

Edited by Shindig
didn't finish sentence

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 19: HackMotion drills and full swings...also a round on the sim

JP Bouffard

Day 27: 8/12/2022

Hit balls into a net in the garage working on my priority pieces. 

I did a little mirror work as well.  Slow motion stuff with both a 7-iron and a driver. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 28: 8/13/2022

Worked on my priority pieces today with a 7 iron. It was all block practice. However, I only focused on one thing at a time. Working hard to try to get a movement engrained into my swing. No random practice today. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 289 - More 9 to 3 swings with my 5-wood and hit chips to a target 10 paces away. Plan to get to the range tomorrow afternoon.

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 61 (14 Aug 22) - Worked on the full swing today with 5i at the net.  Focused on the club position at P3 thru impact.  Also worked on face impact zones - purposely working to hit toward the toe, toward the heel. Used foot powder spray to track impact.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 161.  Shot a 79 to win low gross by one in my club championship.  One six and one double bogey, the same hole : par-4 15th. 😞  Had just gone 2-4-4 and was thinking about it when I hit a low left drive, punched out, hit a full shot into the green, and three putted. 😞  

A friend of mine the club sent me this text afterward, and he's right... encouragement for all reading this thread. 

"Now I know what it takes to be a champion… I just have to practice for over 160 consecutive days"

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 20: Today I worked indoors with a net, using foam balls first and then progressing to real balls. Since I was not hitting it well the last time I did some full swing work (a simulator round yesterday, and then some full swing block practice the day before), I decided today to focus on smaller swings and simpler skills. 

It was 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock swings (club parallel, A2/P6) for about 95% of the practice time. These included one arm (left and right separately) swings first and then two arm. I was focusing on solid contact, ball first. I would swing one arm with each arm, and when I would get 2 or 3 good ones consecutively, I'd move to two arm. If the 2 arm went bad, I'd go back to one arm. I was concentrating on keeping a (mostly) flat left wrist at impact. I was also working on the sensation of throwing the club, and experimenting with different hand paths. 

The other 5% or so was slightly longer swings, some to arm parallel and some full, but all at maybe 50% full speed. I was trying to see if I could get the same flat left wrist and good contact when some body rotation was included. I also worked a bit on arm rotation and elbow position. 

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

Day 8:

Played 16 (slept through alarm and missed first two holes in the round). Not too bad considering the mental and physical scrambling going on before the round. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 651: Worked on my priority pieces with driver.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 652: Range at NK today. Worked on my priority piece with driver for a while. Then I did a SuperSpeed session. Ended with wedges.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 290 - Went to the range at Laurel Lane Golf Course today. It has mat tees and is therefore better for powdered face practice on 7-iron and SW. 

Warmed up with the 9 to 3 drill using 7-iron and 5-wood. Also hit 10 to 2 shots with the 5-wood. Then hit 10-balls each with Driver, 7-iron and 54*SW with foot powder on the face and logged the quality of contact, starting direction and curve. 

Finished on the chipping green practicing short chip shots.