IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 304, September 1, 2022

Hit balls before and after lessons. Just the same things I've been doing: 45° up and out feeling, half swing. Hitting it pretty good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 179.  Practice the last few days wasn't doing it, so I made a point of scheduling time to practice (I need to do this more often).  My usual-now 2:1 ratio of "tilt focus" to "elbow focus" swings, emphasis on setup, grip, and SLOW.   Half an hour, fewer than 30 balls though with the rehearsals.  Indoors, off a mat, into the net. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 38 (9/1/22): Today I started out with one arm drills, and got in a fairly nice pattern with 3-9 swings. Then as soon as I lengthened, hooks returned. The only way to get workable shots was to really hold off/block the club, which felt very weird. So I went back to slower, shorter swings. I took a break for dinner and then went to the Hack Motion device, which told me "you tend to bow your wrist too much at the top of the swing, which can lead to hooks and hitting left." I worked on my arm action in the backswing and was able to get it back with a bit of cup in my wrist, with the degree of wrist extension in the range recommended by Hack Motion, and voila, I could get the club back to the ball with an open face and good ball flight. Didn't push it beyond about arm-parallel length swings. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 3:

Practiced with 7-iron. Recorded DTL and FO swings with LVP camera (shit quality image and shutterspeed), compared to goals from last lesson and definitely seeing some regression in my backswing work. Even though I am hitting the ball decently, I feel like I am on the knife's edge.

I do okay with backswing elements when just rehearsing/mirror work, but as soon as a ball is in front of me, the motion changes a bit. Probably need to work more slowly with the ball until I get it down. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 80 (02 Sep 22) - Wife’s first cousin and husband are in town.  He and I try to play once or twice while they are here.  We played 18 today at one of the more challenging courses in the area.  Big day on learning to stay patient, upbeat, working thru mistakes (taking the medicine) and letting go when the tough score happened - a day in course management.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 305, September 2, 2022

Hit a bunch of balls at Lake View. Full swing, just 9I and 7I, then some putts, and a bunch of short game type shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 46: 9/2/2022

I had grand plans for today. But real life interfered. Fortunately, this morning I had time to hit balls into my garage net. Just working on my priority pieces with a 5 iron and a 8 iron. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 308 - 9-hole league tonight; personally I had a mediocre round, but my team won the league championship.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Did day 2 and day 1 drills from 30 days practice plan. Also hit the range and did a round trying to impliment those changes with some success. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Day 4:

Recorded DTL and FO swings with 7-iron to update my swing thread with.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 180.  At the risk of sounding like a broken mp3, I did my tilt and elbow practices today between virtual meetings (not during).  Indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls.  Focus on setup, grip, SLOWNESS, and the appropriate piece for each ball. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 39 (9/2/22): Today I felt like I was in a rut practicing these limited swings and feel like I was starting to lose the feel for the swing, lose dynamics, etc. So today I practiced the Kwon step drills, mixing in a practice ball after 4-5 reps of his drills. The goal was to feel 1) continuous swing motion, 2) that there is a vertical component to the body turn, 3) pivot driven swing, not arm driven, 4) as if I am swinging back fast, but really taking time and not rushing the downswing. After about 20-30 minutes of this type of practice, I played a simulated round. 

JP Bouffard

Day 310 - My wedge shots and chips from the rough were poor last night, so today I practiced hitting short chips from the part of my lawn which most resembles the rough at my home course focusing on reading the rough, making good contact and carrying the ball only a few yards. Also tried some topped putter shots. will carry this work to the practice green next week. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

I haven’t practiced for a few days. I pulled muscle under my left shoulder blade and I’m trying to get it to heel. It doesn’t really hurt when I swing, but when I stop it is nagging.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 47: 9/3/2022

Priority Piece work in the garage. Hitting mostly 7 irons. Didn't spend too much time. Got a bit of sore elbow and trying to keep on going while the thing heals. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 81 (03 Sep 22) An easy day, worked on lag drills with the putter.  Like using a high vis ball to set the distance and then putt the balance to where at a minimum they roll just past the target ball and where the optimum is to have the ball kiss the high vis ball.  Neat part is that the kiss contact changes the “hole location” Did this before heading to the season football opener for East Carolina University.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 40 (9/3/22): Today it was more Kwon step drills, trying to keep the same flow and shifting pattern with 80% effort swings and 100%. I also worked on my wrist set in the backswing, trying to avoid being too shut at the top. In the Kwon drills, he talks about being patient in the downswing and “letting go,” sort of letting the arms fly and having the body turn control the downswing. This feel worked really well today. A lot of my face control issues of late seem to be that I’m doing a bit too much with arms and hands and not enough with body. I get to play alot in the next few days and am looking forward to it. 

JP Bouffard

Day 181.  Today was a workday (from home) for me, despite being a Saturday, but I took breaks to work on my priority pieces in the adjacent practice room.  Same routine as the past several days. 

-- Michael | My swing!