IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 310 - I mis-numbered yesterday's post; today is actually 310.

In Friday night's match, I had one hole which was particularly poor as I took 6 shots from about 90 yards. This mess prompted me to review my 50-100 yard approach shots in Shot Scope and what I learned is that my GIR and Proximity from this distance have gotten noticeably worse since the first half of the season. What I discovered is that over time, I stopped hitting 8i-PW with flighted shots, and started going for more distance with closer to full shots. I continue to hit flighted shots with my SW and UW with results which are consistent with earlier in the year. 

Therefore, today I re-reviewed @mvmac's thread from 2015 on hitting flighted short irons and wedges and practice this shot in the yard with my PW and AlmostGOLF balls. I plan to practice this shot with 8i-PW next time at the range and commit to only flight these clubs for the remainder of the season. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 48: 9/04/2022

Played mini-golf with the family. 

Worked on... oh who am I kidding? I played mini golf. It's kind of like putting practice. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 82 (04 Sep 22) Set the net back up, got out the mat, dry erase marker and a few balls.  Worked on set up and making good contact with the club.  The dry erase  marker leaves just enough imprint on the club face to give indication whether you hit it on the heel, toe, high or low.  I like the feedback and am starting to correlate what I am feeling with the club to where I am hitting it on the face.  

Edited by WillieT
Poor grammar

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 182.  I was around a lot of the day and twice found time to do a short practice session in my practice room.  2:1 tilt to elbows, always focusing on getting the grip and stance right and frequent reminders to practice slowly.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 41 (9/4/22): I was supposed to play today, but we got rained out. Luckily I went to the range to hit about 3 hours before the tee time and got in about 30 minutes of practice. I hit about 20 balls over 30 minutes. It was the first outdoor range practice I've had in a while. I just tried to keep it simple and have it be useful; I did Kwon step drills a few times before hitting each ball. I wasn't flushing it, but the pattern was far better than the last time I was out. Most of the summer it has just been left or more left...hooks and smothers, very rarely a big block. Very frustrating. With the Kwon drills I hit 1 hook out of the whole bucket. I was hitting the irons straight or push draws. Drivers were going too far right but solid hits, and I wasn't really trying to fix direction but just get the flow and shift rhythm from the Kwon drills. We were away at a golf resort about an hour from my home, but the tee time for tomorrow was also going to be washed out, and so we decided to come home (sad trombone). I'd be more pissed, but this is the first measurable rainfall our area has had in quite a while it seems, so it's hard to be too upset about it. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 311 - Before the rain started today, I was able to hit a medium bucket at Mulligan's Island. Started with 9 to 3 swings with 7i and Driver (also did full swings with each), then did block practice of flighted swings with 8i-PW (lazered yardage markets covered the distances I needed to aim at) and finished with imaginary playing of the 9th hole at my home course (a short Par 4 fronted by a massive bunker and featuring a small fast green which slopes away) using driver then flighted 8i. 

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 83 (05 Sep 22) Worked on the set-up, focused on the grip (stronger), and then 3/4 swings w/7i into the net using dry erase dots on the ball to track ball coming off the club face.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 49: 9/5/2022 

Today I went back to good old Day 15 of the Covid-19 practice challenge.

Basically working on bead with the putter. I even pulled out the putting mirror and used that too. 

Day 183.  Another day with two short practice sessions.  As before, two balls tilt, one ball elbow drill, always focused on grip and stance and working to backswing slowly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 42 (9/5/22): Today I practiced with a Hack Motion sensor and played some simulated holes. When I follow the HM parameters for wrist conditions, the shots are generally good. 

JP Bouffard

Day 50: 9/6/2022

Okay, so I got in a lot of practice today. 
Started with mirror work first thing this morning. Only a 7 iron working on my priority pieces. 

Later on I did bead work on my indoor putting mat. Using a putting mirror and some gates. Focused on my stance, set up and start line. 

Then I got to the range on lunch. Worked on my priority pieces. Focused work on my take away, then my swing path, finally on my finish. 

Felt good today. Swing path still isn't quite right. But getting better. 

Day 312 - Raining today, so I spent time practicing putting on the PuttOUT mat; swung the putter between to golf balls and hit the put through a gate set 3' in front of the ball. 

Day 84 (06 Sep 22) - Continued the grip, setup, swing, review contact on 7i club face exercise I have been working on the past few days.  Wrapped up drill with some full swings with the 4h into the net.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Day 309, September 6, 2022

Played nine holes after hitting some balls on the range.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 184.  After work today, I had a ten minute session, the usual.  I also rewatched one of my lesson videos and I have some things I'm going to need to check as I haven't been using checkpoints beyond mental ones as well as I should be. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 43 (9/6/22): Today I practiced with Kwon step drills, concentrating on having good, active body motion in both the backswing and downswing, with proper sequencing of the shift/turn. I also worked on face awareness. It rained so I played 18 holes on the simulator at Fisher's Island and hit it very well...only 6 greens but was within a very short chip shot or in a greenside bunker on 9 other holes. Drove it really well, length wise, and my miss was consistently right and playable. 

JP Bouffard

Last night, went through day 1-3 drills from 30 days of practice. Clearly I don't typically use enough upper body rotation because I could really feel it in my lower back after doing the drills.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Day 313 - Played the front 9 at North Kingstown today; shot an 8 over 44. Was pleased with my chipping, approach wedge shots and putting....making good progress.