IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 10:

Worked on grip and filmed gripping the club. Also continued working on backswing piece, to stop inside takeaway.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 57 (9/20/22): Today I recorded myself doing the pre-set impact drill from yesterday's lesson.

Can I get into the position the teacher wants me in? Yes.

If I pre-set, then take a short backswing, can I get _back_ to the position in the drill? Yes, if I'm just trying to return to the position. If I hit a ball, I get probably 80% of the openness of the preset. However, it's too hard to freeze the video at impact at normal speed to know for sure. So tomorrow I will put the recording on slow motion and work that way.

Can I do it in any type of swing where I start from a normal address (no pre-set)? Nope. I tried it on about a 9-3 swing, and I get to the finish position, where the club is exiting in the right place and the trail shoulder works down and around correctly, but I do not get the hips as open relative to the shoulders at impact. Not much at all. 

I have to learn to move my legs and lower torso more actively or sequenced better. 

This is gonna be a loooong slog getting this, but I'm gonna get it. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 63: 9/21/2022

I had a good practice session, albeit a short one. I'm still working on the priority pieces that Yoda gave me. Something felt a bit off yesterday so I was reviewing my instructional information this morning from the past ... 16 months or so. Anyway, I found something that I hadn't been doing lately so I reincorporated it into my practice today and everything felt a lot better. Although I normally don't worry too much about the results when working on my priority pieces. The results were clearly better as well. 

I kept the session short, because I only have access to mats right now and I'm trying to let my elbow heal up. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 98 (21 Sep 22) - Worked on stork drill (most of weight on lead foot) making easy swings with the SW.  Finished up with pitches in the backyard focused on engaging the bounce.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 198.  I'm back to full swing practice today with a dozen shots, split evenly of tilt and elbow drills (1-1-1...) after work. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 11:

Worked on grip and backswing. Think I might have come to an understanding on the grip thing.

-Peter

Day 58 (9/21/22): Today I did more of the impact preset drill. Did them slower, more deliberately, with more exaggeration of the position. I used foam balls for most of it, real balls for maybe the last 8-10 reps. I did the drill with every one of my clubs at least once, including a teed up driver. I had to almost actively inhibit my upper body from moving; the thought was to drive the entire little swing with pressuring the feet into the ground. Results were better than last night. Clean contact with good face control. I finished with about 4 swings starting from a normal address, rehearsing to the impact a few times, then swinging. All of these felt like great swings, with correct lower body action, and my shoulder working more to the left after impact and no standing up/early extension. Very encouraging session. 

JP Bouffard

Day 64: 9/22/2022

Played 18 early this morning. I shot an 82. Which I thought was pretty good, especially considering it was windy and soggy. 

Day 99 (22 Sep 22) - Continued work with stronger grip drill and weight forward exercise - making easy pitches w/9i in the backyard.

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 12:

Worked on grip with a short length of 1/2" PVC pipe, pretty much all the time I didn't need my hands to keyboard, mouse, or do other stuff.

-Peter

Day 13- putting and chipping practice in preparation for a 4-man church tournament tomorrow.  Along with driving, I will need to do both well to really help with scoring. Looking forward to playing.

Day 59 (9/22/22): More impact preset drills. The small swings from here were great tonight. Then I tried to extend it and do some from a normal address. This was harder tonight than last night. I 32 foam balls in all over about 45 minutes of practice. 

JP Bouffard

Day 65: 9/23/2022

Since I played 18 yesterday today I've only done mirror work so far. I like to get in the mirror the day after a round to see what kind of adjustments (either intentional or unintentional) I've made during the round. I also did bead work on the office putting mat. I probably won't hit balls today as my elbow is still giving me fits. 

Day 100 (23 Sep 22) - walked and played 9 solo today.  Like this pace of play as I have time to really evaluate the results and the upcoming shot (course management at its best).  Also allows me to really feel the changes in topography under foot (not a really big deal in eastern NC). 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 14- Prior to a church captain’s choice tournament today worked on accurate driving with start lines around my aiming stick, and finishing within 10 yards of my target, left or right.  Work paid off and hit 11/14 fairways today!

Day 60 (9/23/22): Today I worked on impact drills in the morning, slowly, deliberately, with foam balls, and alternating between short and long clubs. Later in the day I was testing fairway woods in the store, and after that at home I practiced some 3/4 swings trying to get the impact feel. I probably had it on maybe 1/3 of the swings; when I have more time tomorrow I will set up video and look at some real swings to see how it's coming. 

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

Day 13:

Kept working on grip while making swings. The grip difference feels weird, which I know is good. I tried my old grip, and that feels weird now too, so I guess I am in no mans land with the adjustment. I'm up to about 3/4 swings now, and making decent contact with the ball while being mindful of backswing priority piece. Hit about 100 balls today. Getting hotspots and blisters in new places, so I hope that is good. Going to go ice my left hand now. Will record some swings tomorrow mostly for confirming grip is on track.

-Peter