IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

first post in this thread here. pardon the noob question

So... no back-dating... how stringent is that rule? 

Does that mean if I got some practice in yesterday but didn't touch a computer until today I can't credit myself?

If so, that's cool. But if not, then I got in a good hour and a half on the range yesterday. Worked on my scoring irons, focusing on weight shift, hip turn, and ball first contact. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22/2/18 - 5 minutes of medicine ball ribcage swings in the basement this morning. Will really try to generate a bit more time tomorrow as there's other areas to focus on!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Day 53

Took some chipping practice during a rest area stop on I-5. Used foam balls for safety purposes. All shots were done with my LW. Again for safety, being the balls went very short distances. Focus was just on exercise more than anything else.

Another traveler saw what he thought was my some what unorthodox chipping method. We talked for a while. Showed him what I was doing, and why. He liked what he saw, and is going to try the Runyon method in both his putting, and chipping. Apparently, according to him, he has a bad case of the "yips", and he is looking for a fix. The Runyon weak grip might work for him. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 minutes of practice on my backswing. taking it back 3/4 of the way and emphasizing a weight transfer at the top, exaggerating the hip bump and keeping a close eye on where the club is bottoming out. practice in slow motion, hitting key positions, and full speed. 

IN MY BAG

• Administrator
4 hours ago, divot dave said:

Very. Gotta post every day you practice. Sorry, them's the rules, and they have reasons behind 'em.

I spent ten or twelve minutes (10 balls? Maybe 15) working on my piece. I'd love to give more detail, but it's basically the same as always lately:

• Hinge and fold the elbow sooner.
  • Let it get away from and off my rib cage a little.
  • "Move the box" on the downswing with the right shoulder.

Day 20, February 22, 2018.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 53

Ten minutes of putting, working on aim and stroke.

I also watched a couple of videos on setting up  for a driver swing.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

day 22

Played a round of golf today at a new course. started off bad and the rest of the round was pretty good. driver still needs a lot of work, but was getting real good with a few holes left in the round. fairway wood needs work. most of my shots were hooks, and need to work on the range shots. putting was good, except for one hole i opened the face. irons hit the greens but not exactly where i aimed. a little bit left a little bit right, but still on green. very hard to course manage a new course, but was fun. will definitely play the course again.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

(20)

Did some hands across the chest turning drills at work on lunch, and practiced my pivot a little.

Also worked on putting for about 5 mins. Somewhat disappointed with my performance on short putts. I need to do a little research, and a bit more practice with them.

At the moment I'm feeling I can make more of them when I try to finesse it in with a slower roll. Perhaps it's my insecurity with short putts, but hitting them in hard just seems like a reckless thing to do. Don't know.

Day 10

Chipping whiffle balls down the hall at work this morning x 10mins with focus on low point control & solid ball contact

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

15 reps with a minute pause in between full swing reps with a couple less aggressive warmup reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through the transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture. Used a roller to work the upper back/shoulders, lats, glutes and calve muscles.

Hit the regular mat range first, yesterday evening, got my timing down then went to the grass range. Despite the cold the balls seemed to go my normal distances. Was happy to be hitting more solidly off the uneven grass this time. Knocked my 7i around the blue flag. The wind kicked it more right so I tried opening the face to get a fade. Got one to work really well, and the rest, not so well. :-P

So, even only doing this 5 minute thing helped me maintain a semblance of a swing when I couldn’t get out.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 54

15 minutes putting 3 foot putts. I have been focusing on putting because I want to get better, but also because time and weather have been limiting. I am improving. I have been struggling a little with a consistent stroke. Not terrible, I have been making most of them. I use a putting cup with a 3" entrance. a few of the putts hit the edge of the entrance and bounce in, or stop when they hit it. Given appropriate speed, these would still be in the hole. In is in. In a practice situation however, from 3 feet on a level carpet, I want those putts rolling right in the center of the opening.

Reading LSW this morning, I was re-reading the section on putting drills, and decided to get out the metal ruler again. It took a few trys to get back on it. That is how I practiced today, rolling a few down the metal ruler, then moving it aside and making the same putts without it. Amazingly :) :) the same stroke that will roll the ball down the length of the metal yard stick works pretty well for 3 foot putts!!!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 22:

2/22/18

Hit 10 balls with Driver, with about 30 slow practice swings.   rolling hands over and closing face.   success.   other than the 2 bad balls that went completely awry, 8 of them were really nice.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

20 hours ago, divot dave said:

first post in this thread here. pardon the noob question

Does that mean if I got some practice in yesterday but didn't touch a computer until today I can't credit myself?

If so, that's cool. But if not, then I got in a good hour and a half on the range yesterday. Worked on my scoring irons, focusing on weight shift, hip turn, and ball first contact. 

If you miss a day or two, don't worry about it. It is in the OP. Sometime I write my post and forget to send! :-P

Day 23 - Mirror work at the gym. Lot's of slow swings to get the feel of the hip turning through impact and pitch elbow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

practice round today, 18 holes... worked on my 100 and in game mostly... tried to transfer some of the feel of the previous few days to the course by focusing on my weight transfer and ball contact during the round. 

IN MY BAG

Day 54 (?) :hmm:

Was on a range getting ready for 18 holes in about 30 minutes. Just losening up. Finally have some decent, dry weather to play in. Should be interesting. Went through all my clubs, finishing  up with my driver. Putting will be interesting, since the ones I saw don't look well. Might have to use a 4WD ball. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

23/2/18 - Better work with medicine ball, trying to make the same swings but really feeling my shoulders turn against my hips. Will continuing to work on it, but liking the coil feel

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

2/23/18:

Day 329:

More work with my path drill with the water bottles, combined with my first move down drill today. About 10-15 minutes with a few pauses in between. I'm getting to the point where the small successes with these drills are becoming bigger successes. I'm starting to see great results... 36 days to go to 1 year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 84    Spent 3 solid hours on the range today doing the drills on pages 175-178 in "Train For Golf Like An Olympian" by Gilchrist and  Huffman.  Focused specifically on staying in posture throughout the swing.