IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 326 - November 20, 2020

Was supposed to play today, but the guy I was going to play with kinda screwed things up, so I hit balls downtown after a lesson with a good junior from a ways south.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 45: Worked on reducing early extension with the drill my Evolvr instructor gave me. Still a work in progress. Did slow swing at maybe 50-60% effort. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 8 (November 20)     Back to the daily grind of working through the drills in the book "How to Train for Golf Like an Olympian"  Took me a little over 3 1/2 hours today.  Here is a sample drill which many of you have used.  It is the Feet Together drill.  I use a 7 iron and take practice swings and hit balls with my feet together.  It helps me in several ways including helping me with balance and also working on a centered pivot, since if you sway you will sense it or fall over.  I have really been focused on my pivot for these last 8 days, since it is one major area for improvement for me.

I also had my Opposite Swing videoed... so I can submit it for the Opposite Swing Challenge.

Day 343

Superspeed workout between two sessions of working on tempo with 7-iron. Now instead of hitting balls with a 3-count, 2-count, or 1-count at the top of the backswing, I just make a backswing, and then have a discrete but short pause right before transition. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

DAY 9 November 21    Worked through 9 drills from the book, "How to Train for Golf Like an Olympian" then the rains came.  Headed to the clubhouse.  Sun came out so I headed to the chipping green and hit 126 chips (6 tubes) working mostly on rhythm since I have a tendency to rush my downswing... then the rains came back, but this time stronger.  So after about 2 1/2 hours I called it a day.

Day 344

Worked on tempo and backswing stuff some more. Something clicked with my hips today when I was hitting balls. My teacher has been working with me on my hip turn in the backswing, and she can get me into the right position in lessons with practice swings but I just can’t do it regularly hitting a ball, but I arrived at a feel that seemed to work. Hopefully not a one off. 

-Peter

Day 345

Played 18 today. Really focused on the tempo and backswing work that I’m implementing since my last lesson. Went okay, but still reverted back to being too quick, especially off the tee. Too many technical thoughts I think. Scored okay, but mostly due to pretty good scrambling and not great ball striking. 

-Peter

DAY 10  November 22     Today was totally focused on putting.  Two plus hours on the putting green doing both short and long putting drills and assessments. Begin with 6 foot putts using the Pelz Putting Tutor.  Had to make 15 in a row through the gate without a miss to finish the drill.  Then set up the STAR Drill where you put five tees around the hole in a Star pattern.  Began at 3 feet, you have to go around the Star 2x without a miss to complete that distance.  So I did 3, 4, 5, and got stuck at 6 feet.  I could make 8 or 9 out of 10 but was not able to do 10 in a row.   GRRR.   Then did a couple of longer distance drills.  Starting at 20 feet and going out to 60 feet, and another drill staring at 20 feet and going out to 70 feet.  Finished by setting tees at 3 feet around the hole in a NSEW pattern.  Had to make 3 putts in a row from each location to move to the next, then when done at 3 feet, move to 4 feet and finally to 5 feet.  The scoring is that you count your misses.  I missed 2 putts.  

• Administrator

Day 328 - November 22, 2020

Hit the ball REALLY well today. I did a lot of this stuff - backswing, backswing, backswing, slow, slow, checking in the mirror, then hitting it.

Club still tips out ever so slightly, but I don't care. I can fix that with a small transition move (it'll take more than that to TRULY fix it, but I can get to VERY playable draws doing that move). Flushing it.

Really felt pretty good with my SI joint stuff (the muscles).

Going to post the video in my Member Swing topic too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 46: Rainy day again so just worked on my feels while watching TV.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 11  November 23    The golf club is closed on Mondays.... so I spent 10-15 minutes working on the start line for putting.  Hitting balls down a three foot long ruler... so that the stayed on the ruler the entire time.

Now here is another thing I did. I had signed up for the Phil Kenyon 5 Day Putting Challenge.  Phil is a well-known putting expert having worked with lots of touring pros during his 20 year career.  He lives in the UK which is on COVID-19 lockdown, so he thought about what he could do during this time to help golfers improve their putting while indoors.  The challenge began on Wednesday and ended on Sunday evening.  I had signed up for it, but been too busy to follow it.  However, the site was being pulled down this morning/today..so unless I did something last evening I would lose all the valuable content and learnings.  So starting last evening at about 6 p.m. I went through all the Video Challenges, Facebook postings - Q&A and hour plus video Q&As. 9 hours later and 7 1/2 pages of notes I finished it.  Now it does not count as practice,.... but I am better because of it.

• Administrator

Day 329 - November 23, 2020

Full swings in the mirror in my house/garage while doing some work. I had to stand in the right place so as not to hit any garage door rails or anything, but it was good.

Day 1 Week 5

Let my body heal & recover over the weekend so no practice.  I did review a lot of video of my swing.

Today was putting, spent a solid 30 minutes 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Day 346

Superspeed workout. Just sticking with protocol 2 until January when the TST superspeed accountability/progress group kicks off.

Also did some tempo drills while getting warm for the superspeed stuff. 

-Peter