• Administrator

Day 340 - December 4, 2020

Practiced downtown before we put up some window “frosting” things. Hit a bunch of 6I to start, then hit a few 3I, and finished with some 9I.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for 2018! Please read as the rules have changed! Yes, for all of 2018! I'm changing it up. Rather than do this monthly, we're going to hav

3/31/18: Day 365: The post you've all been waiting for.  I did some more work with my A4 to A5 drills. I know it seems like it's monotonous and stupid... But yesterday after I posted I

Well I'm at 276 consecutive days. 1/1/18: I did my path drill indoors today. For those of you who don't know what this is, it involves 2 to 4 water or soda bottles a club and a foam ball. I

Posted Images

DAY 1  December 4   Due to a pinched nerve in my mid-back, I have not been able to practice for a little more than a week.  So starting again at Day 1!!  Spent a couple of hours on the range, alternating between hitting balls with my feet together (to work on balance and rotating around my thoracic spine) and working with the Swingwyde to focus on swing plane and proper cocking and uncocking of the wrists.  Then spent about an hour on short pitches... which was a total waste of time... chunking, blading, etc.  I have now decided that I need to find a new instructor to help me with this.....  now to sleep and back to the grind in the morning.  The positive part is that I am hitting my irons and full swing wedges so much better than a couple of months ago -- my swing, contact, low point, etc all continue to improve. :-)  

Day 54: Set up a chipping/pitching area in my basement because we are having a F-ing Nor’Easter! Worked off a mat and off my putting mat which is a tighter lie.

I also think I’ve solved the temperature issue with club assembly. My basement is 55F,  so I set up a lamp to get the temp around 80 where the club heads are. I used my BBQ thermometer to measure the temp. I am such an enginerd! I had to re-epoxy my Titleist heads because they were starting to get loose.

09D0BFC1-4FD1-49BB-8985-CA49D8F595B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 358

Played 18 this morning, still working on the feel for transition. Starting to see some more improved ball striking.

DAY 2 December 5   Continue working on the same things on the range today.... Swingwyde to help with plane particularly on my follow through... and Feet Together to work on balance and rotating around my thoracic spine..  2 1/2 hour later I am home for the day...

DAY 3 December 6th.    I headed for the golf course to work on a couple of putting drills and some full swing work... but got side-tracked and spent a couple of hours on the putting green.  I worked most of the time on putts in the 3-6 foot range.  My thinking has always been that if you are really good within this range, you will rarely three putt, and you will be able to get up and down more often.

I finished with a couple of lag putting drills.  One is a Phil Kenyon drill where you place a ball at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 feet.  After hitting these five putts, you measure the distance between where the ball ends up and the hole.  After doing these for all 5 you have your total distance.  With one of the teams I work with the starting goal is 18 feet.  However, my goal is 15 feet. .. which I achieved today.  There are various opinions about what the total distance should be... some using the 10% Rule would say as long as the total is 25 feet or less you are okay.  I feel this is too much distance left to navigate successfully.  So we split the difference between my preferred 5% and 10% and use 7%.

Now for dinner and then an online Golf Confidence Workshop at 7 p.m.

Day 359

Did some indoor putting and then hitting some 7-irons into my net continuing work on my new transition feel. Really good at what feels like 75% speed but still working out the feel at full speed. 

Day 56: Pretty cold out today, 34F. Worked on a few things including flighting down my 9  iron and gap wedge. My net has ribbon on it for 15, 20, 25 and 30 degrees. Tried to keep the 9 iron below 25 and the gap wedge between 25 and 30. Played with ball position and did a drill with the ball at my left heel while trying to launch low. Also paid attention to my set up before each swing.

Finished with Super Speed training. I want to enter the January sessions with a few weeks of prep. Managed to hit 100 mph with my driver after the last green swings. Driver was variable though between 92 and 100.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Day 343 - December 7, 2020

Played Pinehurst National (#9), which I hadn’t remembered that I’d already played back when it was called just “National Golf Club” or something.

Day 1 Week 7 

Warmed up with one set of sklz gold flex, stretching and core.

Started out focusing on ball striking.  10 1/4 swing with my PW utilizing blue tape to check contact followed up by 10 1/4 swings with 56* wedge.  Great overall center contact with all 10 shots.

Progressed to using my 52, PW, 56 & 48.  I wore the Izzo smooth swing band and rotated thru each club by doing a 1/4 swing then 3/4 swing, changed clubs and repeated.  Did 10 swings total per club with this pattern.

Results showed incredible improvement from last week.  Out of 60 shots only 1 shot was towards the toe but still completely on the groves.  I hit 2 thin shots both with my 56* Wedge but I have to admit part way thru my swing I got concerned about launching the ball over the net and off of the steel ceiling.  Always an exciting moment when that happens.

Great, great contact day with the balance of my shots all pretty much center of the face, either top, middle or towards the bottom.

Followed up with my Driver and hit 10 balls with that.  I used the Izzo with that for the first 9 balls and the last ball I took it off.  Not as smooth with the Driver today as it has been for the last 2 weeks.  Started off with fantastic center contact then moved up to the top toe of the face.  I actually popped two straight balls up over the net and WOW did that sucker ricochet all over the place.  Straightened out what I was doing and finished strong center contact.

I used my alignment sticks on all shots, my grip change is becoming easier to do.  I have been working on that since July.

6 out 10 balls very solid center contact, 2 balls high toe and 2 pop ups.

Edited by djake

DAY 4 December 7th.  Spent a little over an hour on the putting green working with the Pelz Putting Tutor to train and get feedback in starting the putt on line.  I have a tendency for my right shoulder to move out toward the line rather than rotate under my chin/around my spine.  In a full swing we might call it an over the top move since the shoulder motion causes an out-to-in path... so I pull the ball when I miss it.

Day 360

Hit some balls into my net with 7-iron, working on new feel for transition. Contact on the face is getting really solid now, but start line is still more variable than I want, but not sure how bad the misses are without seeing the full ball flight. After hitting about 30 balls, I did a superspeed workout, and then returned to the transition feel practice for another 15 balls or so.

Day 5 December 8th.   Got out to the chipping green and worked on my motion for a little over an hour.  Just like with my putting, I have a tendency to come over the top versus stay on plane.  Now that I have identified this issue, ... it will be my focus... as chipping is my nemesis.