IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 28 - kettle bell swings for balanced weight shift forward with focus on steady head (no dipping). 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 39

Putted for 15 minutes in the living room. I have a straight line in my carpet and use that to work on my stroke from 5, 10, and 15 feet. stroke is good, will work on it more so I don't choke on the course. will try to hit the course tomorrow and play.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

3 reps with a minute pause in between full swing reps with a couple less aggressive warmup reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through the transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture. Used a roller to work the upper back/shoulders, lats, glutes and calve muscles. Using a swing sequencing version 3 club simulator with a swing speed radar to do the above. will be using this from now on with or without SS monitor.

Went to Altadena range and hit some shots okay. Best shot I carried my 7i to the base of the hill right side of the yellow flag from almost back at the cement walk and that’s where I was aimed. :-D

Morning weight 198.5 

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 72

Range stuff today. Since it was a "mats only" day due to recent rains, I used my metal woods with tee'd up balls. 

I never hit balls off of mats. Mats can mask bad impacts, mainly fat shots. Mats can cause wrist soreness if done too much. Mats are bad for clubs, since their is usually concrete under those mats. These are some of the reasons I always tee the ball up when using mats. 

My focus today was aim, address, and ball position. I also took note of distances. 

Side note when I am on the range that might help others. I use the flags for targets. However, sometimes I may not be using the right club (distance) for that target. As long as the ball lands short, or long, along my target line, that's all I need to see. I see quite a few folks try to make the wrong club, for their normal swing, fit the distance. Everyone should have consistent full swing speed, and should allow the club to do the (distance) work. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 113   Spent a couple of hours on the range working on my downswing sequence...  felt very good during the last half of the session.  So I decided to play 9 holes.  I became too focused on the swing, though I did shot 36 which is even par.  I could not figure out why I was not making the transition from the range to the course... so I played 6 additional holes, and finally figured it out.   I was too tense in the shoulders so I was not rotating enough...  once I realized it and relaxed I hit the ball very well -- for me.

• Administrator

Day 39 - March 13, 2018 - Practiced my backswing with only a single simplified downswing thought. Made sure that it was short enough, too. Backswings were likely all pretty good, downswings a mixed bag but mostly pretty good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 1

3/13/18

back at it again.  A bit of a vacation hangover there.  But, I have a lesson tomorrow.  Didn’t want to waste time re-learning stuff, so went to hit balls today.   Surprisingly, the time off helped. Really good swings.  Crisp face contact, good path, good face angle. 

Getting out and playing last week really showed me how far away I am from the swing I want.  Being on the course is just so much more difficult.  5 minutes since your last swing, different club than your last swing.  way more pressure. But, I saw improvement in my ball striking.  Just not as much as I’d like.  I was playing by myself, so when I would have a swing that was close, I’d often hit a second.  A couple times where I absolutely pured that 2nd ball.  Just gotta work on making that swing the first swing. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

3/13/18:

Day 347:

I did more of my first move down drill without a club. Trying to get the feeling as if my right elbow is up against my body during the downswing.

I also practiced putting cross-handed from about 12 feet for about 20 minutes. Focusing on speed, and head.

18 days to 1 year.

Will I make it? Stay tuned.

Edited by onthehunt526
Typo

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 72

I spent about 15 minutes putting 3-6 feet. Working on improved impact condition -past peak acceleration with slight forward lean.

I spent about 20-30 minutes reading the 5 keys in LSW, and on the purestrike5sk website. 

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

3/14/18:

Pi Day, Day 348:

Took a slight break from my long game drills and worked on putting cross-handed for bead for about 10 to 15 minutes this morning.

I also did my first move down drill in the mirror without a club for about 5 minutes. The basic, it's nearly impossible to come over the top if you ingrain it.

17 days to go till one year... March 31st, all hell is going to play loose...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 29 - at the gym this morning, more kettle bell swings for balance forward weight shift with focus on steady head.

I'm playing Sunday w/a buddy. We play a few times a year for a trophy (names & scores engraved) and so I also did some course management planning this morning. Looking at the course, I selected tee & second shots so that I know what clubs to focus on more at the range later today. Also, rehearsing the mental parts of things in my mind this morning:

•circling holes 4, 7, 10, 13, and 16 on the scorecard as a reminder to refocus on 3-hole mini-rounds

•going thru the Refocus, routine, react, relax pattern in my mind

•reminding myself to enjoy the pressure

•remind myself about the No-Six Challenge.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

10 reps with a minute pause in between full swing reps with a couple less aggressive warmup reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through the transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture. Used a roller to work the upper back/shoulders, lats, glutes and calve muscles. Using a swing sequencing version 3 club simulator with a swing speed radar to do the above. will be using this from now on with or without SS monitor.

Morning weight 198.7

Going to Boston tomorrow. So, no more driving range for a couple weeks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 73

10 minutes putting from 3-5 feet, working mainly on my new stroke, which is more pendulum like. I think I am starting to get comfortable with it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 73

Spent a hour on the practice green with my next putter. Notice I didn't say "new putter". I have had this critter for quite a while. Just getting use to it, which will take a while.

After 36 pin positions, assuming two putts for par, I three putted 8 pin positions. I one putted four others, which left me at +4. (76)

Putts we're from various lengths from pin to pin. Probably from 8 to 50 feet. Half had breaks to deal with. 

Might play 9 holes later today. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1/2 hour chipping

focused only quality of contact and the technique to achieve that

weight in front foot, slight hinge and hold, elbows pinned to my body

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator

Day 40 - March 14, 2018 - More work on the backswing. Sorry so short… It's late.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3/15/18:

Day 349:

Back to my long game drills in the wee hours. I did my first move down drill for a little bit without a club. Probably about 5-7 minutes of making sure my trail elbow is close to my body on the first move of my downswing... I think I have this down, can't wait until this 6-8 inches of snow melts so I can practice outdoors and get started on my trek to the 2019 Newport Cup... When I started this challenge, when it was still the monthly challenge back on April 1, 2017, I had absolutely no clue, I would be this close to one consecutive year.

Sixteen days to go. Stay tuned. I've got a good shot to get there.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

10 reps with a minute pause in between full swing reps with a couple less aggressive warmup reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through the transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture. Used a roller to work the upper back/shoulders, lats, glutes and calve muscles. Using a swing sequencing version 3 club simulator with a swing speed radar to do the above. will be using this from now on with or without SS monitor.

Went to Altadena driving range with no clubs. Found an old circa 1940s Wilson Blade. Terrible club. Hit a small bucket on the range then played a couple holes with it. I am so glad that I have those Ping i20s! Shot 2 over on 2 holes par 4 467 yards and par 4 459 yards uphill (par 5 for ladies and seniors). If you miss the 1/128” sweet spot you lose yardage and although the shots went in the correct direction it went very low. My tee shots were fine. Short game and putting with it sucked too...

Morning weight 197.2

Going to Boston today. So, no more driving range for a couple weeks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56