IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 41.  Before my round, at a different course entirely, I did putting practice for 30 minutes.  Then I drove to the course and remembered I wasn't playing an L.A. City course, so the putting green was open.  I spent an hour warming up (two dozen range balls, plus more putting).  I played well enough (shot 90 on the nose;  not great for me, but better than a lot of my recent rounds) today.  Unfortunately, GameGolf is being stupid so I don't know how well I did.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 175: Practiced early because I’m getting my vaccine at noon. Worked on my priority piece and filmed it with 7 iron and driver. Then worked on center-face contact. I randomized the clubs a bit and hit one shot per club. Did pretty well. I’m going to keep this drill up as it really helps with distance control.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 475:

Played 18. Good on the front 9, but ball striking wasn't great on the back 9. Didn't putt very well at all from 6 feet and in, so note to self to do some bead practice.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 4 (4/4/21) - I rewatched Padraig Harrington's chipping video, then practiced chipping with a sand wedge, starting with his alignment stick drill (place an alignment stick 6" behind the ball, weight forward and don't hit the stick). Started out a little raggedy but finally got into a better groove with the drill. Then without the stick. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 42.  Played 18 today.  Drove it amazingly (I really want that GG data from today -- at least two drives of over 230 yards, almost got onto a par-5 in two (had a 45 yard pitch to a back pin for my third shot), hit 6 GIR, another 3 with a full swing, and came very close on a few more.  I had a triple bogey (ESC) on the first hole, but nothing worse than a double bogey after that.  Even my putting was better than it had been in the past.  I am optimistic for golf this summer! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 462 - April 4, 2021

Played 18 holes with @Hardspoon and then a nine-hole scramble with @NatalieB. Shot 30 on the latter nine, and around par with the first 18. I haven't gone through the round in my head (I usually do that on the GG round when I edit it), but I will tell you that I made putts of 15, 35, and 45 feet on the first three holes. Pretty nice to be at 95 feet of putts made before I've played 1/4 of the round. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 88 (4 Apr 21) - More downswing drills today - focusing on keeping from releasing too early.  Worked on stopping at P6 to ensure club is parallel to ground.  Would rehearse 3-5 reps, then a controlled swing. Again using hard foam balls to control flight length.  Last round of five, had all the balls landing within a 10’ radius.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 21.

Happy Easter. 

No real time for golf today.  But was outside grilling for 30 min so I worked in some slow backswing work while outside.  Trying to shorten backswing a bit lately so working on that.

Day 176: Moderna hangover today and it’s windy and cold out, so I’m skipping full swing practice. I was supposed to play but didn’t feel up to it. I did a few feel shoulder turn drills without a club to get the feels down for my hips and lower body. I do these a lot. Playing Wednesday and Friday. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 5 (4/5/21) - I watched Erik's Covid 19 practice videos for chipping and pitching from this time last year, then went outside and practiced both shots in my yard. 

I particularly like the pitching drill where he has you drop the club from the back swing position for 2-minutes, followed by drop the club and pivot for 2-3 minutes. After doing this drill, I was able to hit solid pitch shots with my sand wedge (a 57* Ping Eye-2 XG). Looking forward to trying this shot with my 9-iron, PW and UW to get an idea of distances, although that will be at the range as I don't want to break any of the neighbors windows ;-).

As for chipping, I tried the shot with the 8-UW. The lofts on my Ping G710 irons are pretty strong (I have the standard loft version) so the 8 and 9 came off pretty hot. I'll probably stick with the PW and UW initially.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow!

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 89 (5 Apr 21) - more work with the P6 portion of the swing today while whiffle balling in the backyard with the grandson.  Towards the end, the club was coming around nicely and starting to see the whiffle ball start right and come back around left.  Did make a few full swings with the 5i and the hard foam balls (they will carry to around 80 yds if I really nail them.  Using the same drill from earlier, much better ball striking as I will normally send more than a few 5i shots tailing hard right.  These today were pretty much down the line with a good penetrating (steady rise, not ballooning) flight.  More of this tomorrow if time permits....long day of manual labor planned.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 43.  At lunch, spent half an hour putting.  I did some warm-up (all within 6' - you'll see why in a moment).  Then I did an around-the-world-eventually drill from 4', needing only 17 putts to finish.   I then did the same at 6' and took 29 putts.  I'd like to improve both numbers, but they're much better than I used to. 

[I maintain that my putting issues are read and speed more than bead, but I miss so many short ones that I am going to focus on this for a while.  Even without the GG data from my last two rounds, I think my putting is still an emergency]

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 476:

Did some warmup hitting 7-iron, then a superspeed workout. After superspeed, got some yardages for gapping purposes with 5, 7, 9-iron.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 22. 

At the range (and wearing shorts for the first time this year!)

Large bucket.  Worked up through the bag.  Spent extra time with my 54 and with 4 and 6 irons.  Goal today was stopping takeaway at left arm parallel.  Probably went past it, but wanting to limit backswing backswing so I can turn farther at impact.  Have to really focus on it or I revert to old habits.  But when it works my swing stays compact and much more controlled, with little to no distance lost.

• Administrator

Day 463 - April 5, 2021

Busy day with home stuff, lessons, tax stuff, etc. So putted while taking a break from cleaning out the office and doing some other stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 44.  I practiced putting for 45 minutes this morning at a course (on a practice green).  Did two drills in addition to some unstructured practice;  4' coins, took 17 putts.  6', took 36 putts.  Gotta improve both, especially the latter.  Came home, hit a dozen practice balls (indoors, etc) with 8- and 6-irons (and two shots with a 3H), then went out back to do speed sticks protocol one.  Somehow couldn't get any good speed on that one today, not sure what the issue is. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 177: Range work today. Finally had a chance to film on grass. My backswing looked a bit flatter than it should be. With my new addition of bending my knees more, I need to keep the hands higher and deep. I also worked on center-face contact with a dry erase and then wedges including short game and sand.

Scott

My Swing Thread