IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 59.  I spent 20 minutes on the putting green (real golf course, nearby), first warming up and then the 6' drill with the coins.  It took me 35 putts this time, although after 28 I had 10 of them in.  12:00 (it wasn't straight downhill) and 2:00 took me the remaining seven 😕  Either way, not as good as last time but a ton of progress from a month ago.

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 491:

Started off with Covid-19 practice plan flow drills. Flow is something I start to leave out of my full swing motion when I start focusing on other elements, so I try to do some recentering/flow work every full swing session. Next moved on Covid-19 day-2 drill for shoulder turn/pitch. Then rehearsed a bunch of exaggerated shoulder turns with a club. Then did this exaggerated shoulder turn/backswing while hitting 9-3 chippy 7-irons. Finally took out my Mevo and hit full swing 7-irons without feeling the exaggeration, but used Mevo to make sure swing speed stayed below 85 mph, and track launch angle.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 106 (22 Apr 21) - 3/4 swings with the 50 and 54 wedges w/real golf balls in the back yard (and the neighbors).  Focused on engaging the bounce of the club and not flipping the club.  Worked on getting the balls to land and stop w/in 5 yard circle.  For the 50 this swing is about 50yds and for the 54 it hovers in the 30yd area.  Love it when you can pick all the balls within that diameter circle.  Followed it with some pitches of about 10yds keeping the head down and focused on the ball.  Could see the shadows of the club and ball out of the corner of my eye....that was somewhat disconcerting as I would think "Oh no....its off to sliceville." Then to look up and see it land right at my target.  Really forced me to keep the head in place through impact as it forced me to "trust the shot"......

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 192: Crazy windy today. Did a bit of work into my net but the wind was knocking everything all over.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 11 - April 22, 2021

Short Game practice day. Spent the morning and early afternoon studying Stan Utley’s putting style and worked on my grip for  full swing, as well as changing my putting grip to Stan’s double overlap interlocking grip for putting. Took it to the practice green for s couple hours and worked on putting stroke, line, distance, along with some chip, pitch and putt practice. It seems this new style gives me much, much more control. Love that. I need to investigate some drills that might help hone in on my putting practice. 

Edited by Dave325

Dave

• Administrator

Day 481 - April 22, 2021

Twenty minutes hitting balls downtown before and between a pretty full day of lessons.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 492:

Something has not been feeling in sync lately, so decided to not do any "full" full swings today. Did takeaway drills in the mirror for 15 minutes, observing DTL and FO views to make sure I am getting to an okay spot at shaft parallel. Then did the same drill outside, and stopped at shaft parallel, and then when a bit further and kind of bunted the ball into the net. Did this for about 30 minutes with a PW, 7-iron, and hybrid.

-Peter

Day 60.  Today was a good day for Shindig's game.   I was able to get to a course and spend some time on the putting green, including doing a 6' coin drill, completing it in 26 putts.   That's better than my target goal of keeping that under 30.  Of course, fewer is always better.  I also, later in the day, hit 30 chips with my 56 and 30 with my gap (U) iron, quarter shots all, indoors, real balls, off a mat, into a net, and managed a dozen slow, careful full 6-iron shots too.  

If it seems that I'm prioritizing short game lately, you're right.  I have two tournaments in the next seven days, so I'm trying to do what I can in the short term to bring my score down by focusing on these.  Plus, let's face it, my short game is abominable anyway, so this isn't a bad thing long term either (although I do subscribe to 2/3 on long game, in general, of course).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 193: Still windy but warmer today. Worked a bit on my piece with a slight strengthening of my grip. Then worked on center-face contact.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Day 482 - April 23, 2021

Pitching and putting work, because… I was doing it to kill a little time, and then the lesson was later than I thought, or I'd have spent the time on the full swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 21 (4/23/21) - Unfortunately, I apparently forgot to enter my putting practice yesterday, so this is Day 21. Today, I hit a medium bucket (about 70 balls), mostly irons, concentrating on keeping a steady head and weight forward in the finish. Also, I worked on hitting 9-3 shots with my Gap wedge (50 yards), pitching wedge (about 70-yards) and 9-iron (about 80 yards), then worked on driver.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 12 - April 23, 2021

Spent 3 hours at the range working on my priority pieces for full swing. Settled in to the strong grip and decided on using the short thumb for better feel and control. Working through driver, hybrid, 7i, and PW with slow, smooth rhythmic flow. Felt really good with new changes. Finished off with pitch and putt practice. Worked through various putting drill that others suggested from my TST post on the forum. 

Dave

Day 107 (23 Apr 21) - played 18 today.  Worked on weight shift, esp in the tee box.  Also worked on keeping the head still while putting.  Saw good lag on the long putts and overall accuracy good.  Many 2nd putts were in the less than 5’ range, with most being 2’ or less.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 493:

Did Covid-19 day-1 drills, then hit a bunch of half swing/chippy 7-irons working on center face contact.

-Peter

Day 61.  I hit over five dozen, in increments of about a dozen each time, chip shots off a mat, into a net, indoors today.  The focus was setup and solid contact.  I also hit about a dozen full swings later in the day with my 6-iron, otherwise same.  Playing tomorrow, so let's see if the cramming of short game ends up helping this specific round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 194: Range work today focused on set up and center-face contact through my bag. The stronger grip seems to have straightened thing out too. Not sure how I drifted away from it as it has been part of my set up in the past. If with a little short game work.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 22 (04/24/21) -  Today did the "Trail Arm Throwing" drill from the 30-day practice plan with my 7-iron. I worked on this drill for 8-10 minutes, focusing on good flow, balance and particularly on where my trail arm was during the swing.

Driver: using a tee and whiffle ball (I was in the backyard). My driving has been really inconsistent so far this year with some drives been good solid draws and some being hit so thin that the don't clear the water hazards fronting a number of the tees on my home course (North Kingstown Golf Course in RI), resulting in penalty strokes and/or needing to punch out from trouble.  After hitting drivers on the range yesterday with so-so results, I noticed that the trajectory was lower than I am used to (my Driver is a Ping G400 10.5 set at big "+", so its 11.5*).  Prior to beginning the drills which I started on Day-1 of the 5-minute challenge, I would tend to lean my torso away from the ball at setup (particularly with a driver, but it crept into everything) in order to hit up on the ball. The long and short of it is that my old ball position (a few inches of my left heal) no longer cuts it and so I've moved the ball to off my left heal. Today I hit whiffle balls off a tee and plan to hit the range again on Monday to try it "live"

BTW: Thanks to boogielicious for posting such detailed videos of your swing progress. I am finding the drills which you have been working on and your thoughts helpful...its also where I got the idea to move the ball forward. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear