IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Ok, going to really get back into this. Day 1: Played 18 today and shot 78 - pretty pleased and should mean that my handicap drops a little, which will be deserved (IMO :-)). Missed a fair few short putts, so I'll try to get to work on that as well as some of my lag putting and long clubs off the deck.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 88

Took a 3 mile hike earlier today. 1.5 miles up hill, and back. I did take a different route back, which had few more up hill spots. According to my GPS, total elevation change was 800 feet. 

Focus was on cardio, and keeping my legs in decent working order. 

Averaged 2.8 mph, with a total of 8 minutes stop time. At one point I was at 3.5 mph. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 129   Spent 2 hours on the putting green continuing to work on completing the 10,000 Putt Challenge and also worked on lag putting.  Then off to the range for 3 hours to continue working on improving my downswing sequence and staying in posture throughout the swing.  Used a lot of different drills from my GGGA Workbook.

Finished Q1 with a scoring average of 79.8 and almost 11 GIR.  The goal for Q4 is to get this to averaging 77 strokes per round and 12.6 GIR.  So lots of work ahead to drop these two plus strokes and pick up almost 2 GIR.

Hit a bucket at the driving range today

Brought my Zepp device with me to see what the numbers would look like when hitting a ball as opposed to the practice swings I’ve been doing recently.

The good news is the tempo and back swing rotation were really good. Ball contact was pretty decent after I had sufficiently warmed up, either hitting slightly thin or taking small divots after the ball... fat shots were quite rare, which means progress is being made.

The bad news is my hip rotation took a dive when placing a ball in front of me. Although that concerns me, I’m not going to freak out about it just yet. Going to keep grooving the tempo habit along with a steady head... then gradually work in a better weight transfer and in-line impact as things become more ingrained.

35463AE6-066E-414D-B1BB-26CD11EDB9B3.png

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator

Day Dunno, March 29 - Practiced with Brian McGrew.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Day Dunno, March 29 - Practiced with Brian McGrew.

Day 55, @iacas :-P

3/30/18:

Day 364 for me:

More work on my A4 to A5 drills this morning. Mostly the whole keeping the left wrist flat, and my right elbow as close to my body as possible.

Somehow I think all hell is going to break loose in this thread tomorrow after I post anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 44 - Kettle bell swings for balanced weight shift with focus on centered turn & steady head.

Granted this is not a club in my hand nor am I hitting a ball, I think there are small improvements

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 2: Range was covered with mist this morning, so spent the hour and a half working on the shots I never normally do - all sorts of hazardous short game shots off bare lies, plugged lies, odd stances, fluffy lies, wet sand bunker shots etc. Got much more comfortable using the bounce on the club and also had a good wake-up moment with how grip pressure affects the height the ball launches at. 

Finished up with 20 minutes of lag putting.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

DAY 130   Got out early and put in 3 hours on the range... using drills from my GGGA Workbook.  Focusing on downswing sequence and maintaining posture throughout the swing.      Since it is early I think I will spend another hour or so working on my swing and doing some golf related exercises.

Day 5 - Mirror work and yoga today. I hit into a net two days in a row and the knee feels fine. 

10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Day 55, @iacas :-P

3/30/18:

Day 364 for me:

More work on my A4 to A5 drills this morning. Mostly the whole keeping the left wrist flat, and my right elbow as close to my body as possible.

Somehow I think all hell is going to break loose in this thread tomorrow after I post anyway.

Drum roll for the next post.

drumroll-1.gif

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 89

Just a little chipping/putting practice using one ball. Chipped from various spots, to different pin locations. 

Focuses were on  green reads, and one putts. The chip reads to the hole were from where the landing spot was for the chip.

In My Bag:

took another lesson. received really good feedback on the progress I made over the last 2 weeks. Tempo and transition are smoothing out, and other mechanical tweaks were looking better. Today we looked closer at my grip, how I address the ball, and my shoulder alignment at address. These are all things I can accomplish before I even make a single move with the club. 

Good news is, everything we've worked on so far reinforces things I've heard repeatedly on my swing thread, and things @iacas covered with me in a lesson some time ago when I was visiting my homestead. So feeling really good about where things are headed. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator

Day Dunno, March 30 - played with Nat at River Island.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3/31/18:

Day 365:

The post you've all been waiting for. 

I did some more work with my A4 to A5 drills. I know it seems like it's monotonous and stupid... But yesterday after I posted I actually was able to go outside and hit about five or six balls with various clubs. I'm telling you even though they seem to be monotonous, they work. All shots I hit were solid, at a nice trajectory with a nice 1 or 2 yard draw. 

It has been a long road this past year. Winter really sucked in Upstate NY, so I had to improvise and do drills with or without clubs indoors to continue my journey of meeting my goal.

I do some of this practice in the wee hours before going to bed (I work 2nd shift). So it really makes it hard to practice during the day.

As far as I know, I am the first person to do the challenge for an entire year, so if anyone wants to comment please PM.

I will continue to post daily. This isn't the end, but I have completed my goal of doing this for an entire year.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day three - Range was closed when I arrived, so came back and spent 20 minutes on the putting mat with setup work and drills. Currently working on the pendulum motion by holding an alignment stick between my chest and the bottom of the putter, which is making a huge difference to the feel and taking my wrists out of the stroke.

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

3/31/18:

Day 365:

The post you've all been waiting for. 

I did some more work with my A4 to A5 drills. I know it seems like it's monotonous and stupid... But yesterday after I posted I actually was able to go outside and hit about five or six balls with various clubs. I'm telling you even though they seem to be monotonous, they work. All shots I hit were solid, at a nice trajectory with a nice 1 or 2 yard draw. 

It has been a long road this past year. Winter really sucked in Upstate NY, so I had to improvise and do drills with or without clubs indoors to continue my journey of meeting my goal.

I do some of this practice in the wee hours before going to bed (I work 2nd shift). So it really makes it hard to practice during the day.

As far as I know, I am the first person to do the challenge for an entire year, so if anyone wants to comment please PM.

I will continue to post daily. This isn't the end, but I have completed my goal of doing this for an entire year.

Congrats! Your achievement may never be broken. How do you feel this work has helped you the most?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 45 - lag putts from 40-50ft. Dropped the long-putter and returned to short putter

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 90

First thing I want to do is give a job well done shout out to the posters in this thread who have surpassed, or are nearing 365 continuos days. :dance: 

I spent the early morning hitting 100 yard shots. 56 of them after warming up. I was also using my own golf balls. My course has a practice pin that maxxes out at 130 yards.

Focus was on swing tempo, and ball contact. I was pleased with the accuracy I had. Since the pin I was aiming at was on a left to right , side hill position, my target was not the pin. It was a tree, two finger widths left of the flag. The tree was about 20 yards past the flag. The ball would land, and bounce right, towards the pin. Probably had a dozen or so stop with in 5'. 

In My Bag: