IGNORED

PING G700 Irons

iacas
Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often does the average golfer really "work" the ball. I suspect not as often as they say. I probably hit 1 or 2 shots per round that I try to work. The 15+ guy should concentrate on just hitting it straight.

Edited by Groundhog34

When I 'work' the ball, I do it by creating a face/path discrepancy, usually adjusting my feet to get a path more to the left/right. Is there anything in the GI irons that reduce the effectiveness of this, or do these sort of comments refer to using heel/toe to work the club?

Hit some ball off grass with the G700 - they should have used some foam. Sound/feel is suspect, but easy to launch with easy distance. Seemed easier than my PXG XF - but in terms of looks and feel, it is not PXG's equal - although I'd like to spend more time with them - or wait until late August.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the price of PXG, I would expect them to look , feel and sound better.

For a peasant like myself, I could get used to the Pings.

I sometimes work the ball, but mosty they work by themselves ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

On 4/20/2018 at 12:51 AM, mvmac said:

i200 feel is much better. 700's are kinda like hitting a hybrid. 

If you are looking for something in the i200 category, new and shiny....wait until August/September. G700 meets i200.

So......i500? Yeah? Maybe?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So......i500? Yeah? Maybe?

Yes, that is what is on their trademark list.

Also...

post-420396-0-83410800-1525978217.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I am a big Ping fan and got fitted in January 2017 and ended up with the E1 irons, which I compared against the G30's. They did not fly quite as far, but the the dispersion was tighter based on the Trackman readings. I was replacing some G5's that I had for about 10 to 12 years as the badges were popping off. I was a bit disappointed when the E1's were discontinued just after I bought them. That series was only around for 18 months or so from what I understand. Can anyone tell me what happened or what the philosophy was? Don't want to redirect the G700 discussion, but before I go out and buy some more Ping, I want to learn as much as I can.

Edited by Carl3
Added more info

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yes, that is what is on their trademark list.

Also...

post-420396-0-83410800-1525978217.png

Awesome. I’m hopIng August ..but probably September. If it’s a G700/i200 version I can’t imagine not liking it. Anyway, always exciting to me when Ping comes out with a new iron.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, Carl3 said:

I am a big Ping fan and got fitted in January 2017 and ended up with the E1 irons, which I compared against the G30's. They did not fly quite as far, but the the dispersion was tighter based on the Trackman readings. I was replacing some G5's that I had for about 10 to 12 years as the badges were popping off. I was a bit disappointed when the E1's were discontinued just after I bought them. That series was only around for 18 months or so from what I understand. Can anyone tell me what happened or what the philosophy was? Don't want to redirect the G700 discussion, but before I go out and buy some more Ping, I want to learn as much as I can.

It became the i200 is all.   The ei-1 was actually just called the Ping i.   I have the ei-1 irons too...love them because they are 431 stainless.  They are softer and feel fantastic.  Totally different feel compared to my i25. 

So just like the g series went g25, g30...  This series is going I, i200...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

It became the i200 is all.   The ei-1 was actually just called the Ping i.   I have the ei-1 irons too...love them because they are 431 stainless.  They are softer and feel fantastic.  Totally different feel compared to my i25. 

So just like the g series went g25, g30...  This series is going I, i200...

Thanks!! I like them too.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:58 PM, Groundhog34 said:

How often does the average golfer really "work" the ball. I suspect not as often as they say. I probably hit 1 or 2 shots per round that I try to work. The 15+ guy should concentrate on just hitting it straight.

@Moxley

Most often when people say “Work the ball” they’re referring to hitting high and low shots and less of left and right spinning shots. These clubs are hard to flight properly for playing in the wind. You can try as hard as you want but the club will try to launch it high. It’s how they’re designed. Not saying you can’t, it’s just harder.

Edited by freshmanUTA
forgot to quote moxley

On 5/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, Groundhog34 said:

The 15+ handicapper should, but when I want to work the ball it usually isn't left to right/right to left (similar to what @freshmanUTA said).

I try to control the trajectory and height of the ball on a lot of my approach shots for various reasons. On greens that slope back to front I like to hit my approach shots a little bit lower to keep them from spinning back off the front of the green. On super firm greens I'll sometimes try to hit it nice and high to make sure it holds the green (other times I'll try to hit it with a lot of spin for the same reason on firm greens, depending on how the greens react). 

Most of it has to do more with controlling spin as much as trajectory. I have a lot of spin on my iron shots so I manipulate the trajectory to try and make sure it doesn't do things like suck my wedges back off the green. I played a round before where I dunked 3 in a row in the water ala Sergio when I sucked a wedge back from the fairway into the creek in front of the green multiple times, controlling my trajectory helps prevent that from happening.

Or if I want to hit it into the wind, being able to hit a low shot is really helpful. Or if I'm trying to go underneath or over the top of some trees that I end up in and behind far too often.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 2:41 AM, freshmanUTA said:

@Moxley

Most often when people say “Work the ball” they’re referring to hitting high and low shots and less of left and right spinning shots. These clubs are hard to flight properly for playing in the wind. You can try as hard as you want but the club will try to launch it high. It’s how they’re designed. Not saying you can’t, it’s just harder.

Yeah, makes sense, and having GI irons myself I would agree with that. I do however find them quite possible to work left/right, albeit less so that with the less forgiving Irons I played as a kid. 

On 12/31/2017 at 11:15 PM, iacas said:

G700Iron7CavityRender.png

Interesting. A foam-filled cavity-back from PING? Wonder if PXG will sue them too. :-P

close to what Taylor  Made just did with their  870 iron

On 5/12/2018 at 10:42 PM, Pretzel said:

The 15+ handicapper should, but when I want to work the ball it usually isn't left to right/right to left (similar to what @freshmanUTA said).

I try to control the trajectory and height of the ball on a lot of my approach shots for various reasons. On greens that slope back to front I like to hit my approach shots a little bit lower to keep them from spinning back off the front of the green. On super firm greens I'll sometimes try to hit it nice and high to make sure it holds the green (other times I'll try to hit it with a lot of spin for the same reason on firm greens, depending on how the greens react). 

Most of it has to do more with controlling spin as much as trajectory. I have a lot of spin on my iron shots so I manipulate the trajectory to try and make sure it doesn't do things like suck my wedges back off the green. I played a round before where I dunked 3 in a row in the water ala Sergio when I sucked a wedge back from the fairway into the creek in front of the green multiple times, controlling my trajectory helps prevent that from happening.

Or if I want to hit it into the wind, being able to hit a low shot is really helpful. Or if I'm trying to go underneath or over the top of some trees that I end up in and behind far too often.

The 15+ handicapper should also invest in Titliest AP 1 irons.

Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!