IGNORED

Tee It Forward

Ron
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play a most of my rounds with friends that are a little older than me. We play courses that are anywhere from 6200 to 6600 yds long. I am able to reach the occasional par 5 in 2 from these tees ( i have no chance from the next set of tees). I really enjoy playing these closer tees and have a great time with my friends. I recommend teeing it forward if you are not worried about losing your tournament edge (I don't play tournaments anymore).

18 minutes ago, Riverdad said:

I play a most of my rounds with friends that are a little older than me. We play courses that are anywhere from 6200 to 6600 yds long. I am able to reach the occasional par 5 in 2 from these tees ( i have no chance from the next set of tees). I really enjoy playing these closer tees and have a great time with my friends. I recommend teeing it forward if you are not worried about losing your tournament edge (I don't play tournaments anymore).

Good post.  Those yardages are what I play.  Between 6300 and 6600.  I don't play tournaments anymore either.  BUT......I have FUN every time I go out!!

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

so what about an Executive course? Blues are 4366 and whites are 4033 because there are a number of really short 3 pars. Based on what I have read here, I should play tees that give a course length around 6100 yards. I still play the whites anyway, should I move back to the blues?  Par 4's from the whites measure 350, 368, 303, 397, 427, 316 and 388.

28 minutes ago, AlDena said:

so what about an Executive course? Blues are 4366 and whites are 4033 because there are a number of really short 3 pars. Based on what I have read here, I should play tees that give a course length around 6100 yards. I still play the whites anyway, should I move back to the blues?  Par 4's from the whites measure 350, 368, 303, 397, 427, 316 and 388.

I can't help you with that because I never played Exec Courses.  I always felt it was like playing a round with Driving Range Balls.  I couldn't get an accurate assessment of how well I played on one of those courses.  We had two of them in the town that I lived in on Long Island and they did well so I know many people like them.

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

35 minutes ago, AlDena said:

I think it depends upon your goals?

I’d play 4000 yards, no problem. If forced to play 7400 yards (the tips at my home course), I can do it begrudgingly. It’s pretty much hit (or mishitting) every club in my bag and barely shoot a 90.

When playing for fun, 6000 to 6400 yards is my fun limit. Generally, 6400 yard rated courses are actually playing at 6000 yards unless there’s a tournament or something.

Honestly, I don’t really give any thought to the tees I play since I average about 265 yards off the tee, but my ball striking is generally blah. I hit my 8i about 154 on average with pulls and hooks. For instance, I played with my son the other day off the 6400 yard tees par 71, but it felt more like 6200 yards and shot 39 par 35 without thinking too hard about it. Doubled the 4th by over hitting a 129 yard par 3 with a PW then a “195” yard uphill par 3 shanking my 4i then pulling my recovery wide and making a birdie on the 5th par 4 and barely a bogey on the 2nd.

So, statistically speaking, I should be able to play 6400 yard courses, but it’s not fun.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf has a macho element to it where some guys are constantly measuring themselves instead of just having fun. Keep in mind we pay a pretty penny to play this game so why not play in such a way as to enjoy it.

The courses I play have Gold (back), Blue, White, Green (senior), Red. I play the blues 99% of the time and on very rare occasions the Gold when I join a particular (or peculiar) group. It's more than just how far you hit it IMO.

The club pro who worked with me said that I should play from whatever tee makes playing the most enjoyable.  He suggested I start on the front tees and consider moving back as I improve.  There is one hole on a course I played which was 72 yards from the front tees.  I can't hit a wedge so, I just moved back to the tees that were 112 where I was comfortable using a hybrid.

Tim

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird - Driver - 12° / Adams Tight Lies - 3 Hybrid - 19° 
Adams Tight Lies - 5 hybrid - 25° / Cobra Baffler TWS Senior - 6 hybrid - 32° 
Cleveland Niblick - Utility - 42° / Wilson Harmonized Chipper - 35° / Odyssey White Steel #2 - Putter 

I like the hybrid/ combo tee system. I'm 68 and play our blue tees that are 6250 yards. I'm not long off the tee (190 to 210) but have a great short game and putt really well. Some of the guys in our group that are over 70 play a hybrid combo of blue and white that are about 6000 yards. I'll probably move to the combo as soon as I turn 70.                      I still believe in the concept of "it's not how far: it's how many". In fact I can usually hold my own with the guys that out drive me by 30 to 50 yards as long as I putt well. 

54 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I like the hybrid/ combo tee system. I'm 68 and play our blue tees that are 6250 yards. I'm not long off the tee (190 to 210) but have a great short game and putt really well. Some of the guys in our group that are over 70 play a hybrid combo of blue and white that are about 6000 yards. I'll probably move to the combo as soon as I turn 70.                      I still believe in the concept of "it's not how far: it's how many". In fact I can usually hold my own with the guys that out drive me by 30 to 50 yards as long as I putt well. 

Good post. The jury is still out for me on which Tee Box I'm going to use this year.  That said, regardless of which one I play, I am always in play.  My Driver yardage is the same as yours.  I'm not long but I am as accurate as you can be on a golf course.  From 150 out, I can play with anybody!  Back in NY, golfers on public courses love to play $2.00 Nassau Matches.  I always did very well in them.  The BEST guy to have in one of those matches is the "Big Hitter" who insists on playing from the Tips!  They are the easiest type of players to beat.  They ALWAYS spend a lot of time taking "Day Trips" around the course.  Guaranteed money for me!  (LOL)

Ball-Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. We're on the same page. It always amazes me how most  average amateur players think blasting it out there off the tee is so important. Sure, I would love to be even twenty yards longer on my drives, but I wouldn't trade that for my short game and putting.  If putting isn't the most important part of the game, why do they give you two to make par? My goal is to try to have 32 (or less) putts per round. Due to my lack of distance I don't hit a lot of greens on long par fours so getting up and down is very important. That's especially true while playing Winter golf here in Charlotte. Our second hole is 415 with an uphill tee shot. It's not uncommon for me to hit a solid drive and a solid fairway shot and still be 80 to 100 yards out when it's cold and wet. While I usually make bogie under those conditions occasionally a good pitch and putt will yield a par.     

I also play a hybrid set of tees. Playing hickory clubs, a good tee shot for me is around 180-190 yards (carry about 160yds). My normal course doesn't really have a single set of tees that matches up - so I play a combination of Red and  Gold to get distance at about 5,200 yards. Using the USGA charts, I can adjust the slope and rating to post scores.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, RWC said:

I also play a hybrid set of tees. Playing hickory clubs, a good tee shot for me is around 180-190 yards (carry about 160yds). My normal course doesn't really have a single set of tees that matches up - so I play a combination of Red and  Gold to get distance at about 5,200 yards. Using the USGA charts, I can adjust the slope and rating to post scores.

Good move.  I'm always impressed when I see a player move up.  When someone is a good player, other golfers recognize it IMMEDIATELY!  It makes you admire them for accepting the limitations of age.  Once again remember, after the Tee shot, everybody, is pretty much on the same playing field.  In that scenario; most of us have watched a few times, golfers 20 years older than us, "Eat Our Lunch!"  (LOL) :whistle:

Ball-Pro V1

Turned 69 today and played from the senior tees today for the first time.  Just my take on it, but i am probably 5 strokes better from there than from the White or standard tees....Just my take on it but here is what I found the advantage to be...

1. From tee box it felt like the fairways were more open and a bit wider from the tee to the 150 marker.

2.  On average, I was probably 20 yards closer to the hole off the tee, which changed what my normal 2nd shot club was by one or two clubs, depending on the hole and what was between me and the hole.

I normally hit maybe 2 greens in regulation from the White Tees, but hit 5 in regulation today...

On the 3 par 3's, I could go down a club and was easier to clear the water hazard with a bit more control...

Do I feel bad about playing from the forward tees?????? NO!!!! I am there to stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osnola said:

Turned 69 today and played from the senior tees today for the first time.  Just my take on it, but i am probably 5 strokes better from there than from the White or standard tees....Just my take on it but here is what I found the advantage to be...

1. From tee box it felt like the fairways were more open and a bit wider from the tee to the 150 marker.

2.  On average, I was probably 20 yards closer to the hole off the tee, which changed what my normal 2nd shot club was by one or two clubs, depending on the hole and what was between me and the hole.

I normally hit maybe 2 greens in regulation from the White Tees, but hit 5 in regulation today...

On the 3 par 3's, I could go down a club and was easier to clear the water hazard with a bit more control...

Do I feel bad about playing from the forward tees?????? NO!!!! I am there to stay.

Congratulations Osnola!  Your listed advantage points are virtually an EXACT duplicate of mine when I move up one Tee box.  It would appear that the people who design golf courses, know exactly what they are doing,   Moving up as you get older sustains the passion and enjoyment of the game.  Those who refuse to do so are living a bit in denial.  Have a good season.  I know you're going to enjoy it more this year! :-)

Ball-Pro V1

IMHO everyone needs to take ego out of it. I constantly see guys who can't hit the ball 180 yards playing from the whites (here in NY the tees are blue, white, gold and red). I'm 66 and have had three back surgeries so I don't hit that far, probably 210 / 220 with a roll. The guys I play with all hitting around the same distance. We play it forward, i.e., the gold tees. We find the game more enjoyable and we don't hold up anybody behind us . If other players get close to us we let them drive up on par 3s and let them play through. I guess if your not holding anybody up you should play from whichever tee you are happy with. With just enjoy the golds. I must say that if two of us go out to play and we get teamed with another twosome we'll play from the whites if they really want to.

(edited)

I'd just like to say that this experience of exchanging posts, information and opinions with golfers who are mostly in my own age group has been truly enjoyable for me.   It has eliminated something which I always found unpleasant.  I guess it's always good to indicate that you are a senior. :whistle:

Edited by Ron

Ball-Pro V1

4 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

IMHO everyone needs to take ego out of it. I constantly see guys who can't hit the ball 180 yards playing from the whites (here in NY the tees are blue, white, gold and red). I'm 66 and have had three back surgeries so I don't hit that far, probably 210 / 220 with a roll. The guys I play with all hitting around the same distance. We play it forward, i.e., the gold tees. We find the game more enjoyable and we don't hold up anybody behind us . If other players get close to us we let them drive up on par 3s and let them play through. I guess if your not holding anybody up you should play from whichever tee you are happy with. With just enjoy the golds. I must say that if two of us go out to play and we get teamed with another twosome we'll play from the whites if they really want to.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a standard color system for Tee Boxes?  I lived in Long Island, NY for 75 years.  (I am only here in Texas 6 months)  On Long Island, I found most courses where I played to be Blue, White, Red. however, there is every variation (Both color and number) that you can imagine.  Here in Texas, the course that I play now is Black, Blue, White, Red.  So, The white down here is your gold up there, and I agree with what you do, as I do the same.  It really depends on the traffic.  

Ball-Pro V1

Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!