IGNORED

Drivers I have loved...in the past.

Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My first love was a Maltby CER.  I reshafted it with a "MacGregor graphite I found by the dumpster adjacent the carpentry shop I was working in at the time.  After that it was a Cobra Long Tom, crazy distance but seldom on the course.  I then settle for a TaylorMade Firesole; that I could reliably fade if nothing else.  Currently I am using an Adams Speedline Fast 10.  What are your faves from days gone by?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

I love every one of my drivers until another younger and better-looking one comes around.

Aye.  The Siren's song; to which few golfers are immune.

• Like 1

About 15-20 years ago, I had driver that was a couldn't miss with it kind of club. Every ball I hit with it was long, and found the fairway. I used it for 5 years until I cracked the face. It was cheapo model called a "Delta T" . It's still the best driver I ever owned.  I had the shaft put on a similar head, but it was never the same. 

Had a few more since then of various, name brands. Some were better than others, but none stood out over the others. Right now I "sparingly" use a Tour Edge low profile, square driver. Sometimes I think the only reason I keep in my bag is to have some place to hang my "Big Dog" head cover, affectionately named H.C. 

Edited by Patch

3 hours ago, Patch said:

About 15-20 years ago, I had driver that was a couldn't miss with it kind of club. Every ball I hit with it was long, and found the fairway. I used it for 5 years until I cracked the face. It was cheapo model called a "Delta T" . It's still the best driver I ever owned.  I had the shaft put on a similar head, but it was never the same. 

Had a few more since then of various, name brands. Some were better than others, but none stood out over the others. Right now I "sparingly" use a Tour Edge low profile, square driver. Sometimes I think the only reason I keep in my bag is to have some place to hang my "Big Dog" head cover, affectionately named H.C. 

I did some searching and don't see "Delta T" but do see some Delta brand clubs. Here i one oldie from eBay, is it similar ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Titanium-Matrix-Driver-10-5-G119-/180724505389

3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I did some searching and don't see "Delta T" but do see some Delta brand clubs. Here i one oldie from eBay, is it similar ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Titanium-Matrix-Driver-10-5-G119-/180724505389

It's similar. On the one I had there was a horizontal line at the top of the triangle. Price is about right...lol

The original Big Bertha changed my driving game tremendously and I used it until the face cracked.  I then switched to the TM 320cc driver and even added a few yards.  I kept that driver until about 7 years ago, face cracked, and I was starting to lose distance with age.  I tried the 460cc Ping G and got some distance and consistency back (face cracked again) and now play the Ping G15 at age 66.  Shorter than 20 years ago with the Big Bertha but very consistent and can still handle most middle tees. 

10 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

The original Big Bertha changed my driving game tremendously and I used it until the face cracked.  I then switched to the TM 320cc driver and even added a few yards.  I kept that driver until about 7 years ago, face cracked, and I was starting to lose distance with age.  I tried the 460cc Ping G and got some distance and consistency back (face cracked again) and now play the Ping G15 at age 66.  Shorter than 20 years ago with the Big Bertha but very consistent and can still handle most middle tees. 

(Ping G15 quietly moves to the back of the bag, trying to act inconspicuous. Asks the putter to lend him his headcover.) 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

Im still using a Ping G5. Suits my needs just fine but im always window shopping for newer drivers.

I hear Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson playing in the background. "To all the drivers I've loved before, who traveled in and out my door, I'm glad you came along..." 

I still have a thing for my TM Rocketballz. That club was the first driver I ever hit consistently straight. I even went back to it a few times after subsequent drivers failed to produce desired results. It still sits in my locker as a warning to all who come after it "behave or I will make a comeback!"

2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

(Ping G15 quietly moves to the back of the bag, trying to act inconspicuous. Asks the putter to lend him his headcover.) 

I think I get it!

My playing goes back to persimmon. First one I remember really liking was a Powerbilt Citation Persimmon about 1980. I traded that for a Taylormade Tour Burner in 7* about 1983, then back to a persimmon Bert Dargie in 87 or so. I liked it for a while, until our relationship became difficult, and I bought some off brand graphite Yonex clone. ( I still have the Dargie ). I traded the clone for a Taylor System 2, then that for a Lynx Boom Boom in '92, which was my only driver until about 2000 when I traded a steel shaftTitleist PT 13* 3 wood(that I had bought for about $99 new 5 or 6 years before) and $50 for a brand new Taylor Firesole that had a price of about $350. Evidently it was very similar to the model Tiger was using at the time and they were going for like 250! In about 2005ish I picked up a used Taylor Ti 360 and had it reshafted with a UST Mamiya (what I call the LSU shaft-purple and gold). I used that until I came across a Titleist 905T, also used with a Fujikura Speeder. I really liked that club and used it until this year. I bought a used Titleist 910D2 and liked it so much that I bought a new 915D2 on closeout. I like the 915 really well, but I hit my buddy's G400 a couple times this summer, and ....................

Well, sticking with the 915 for now.

21 hours ago, Patch said:

It's similar. On the one I had there was a horizontal line at the top of the triangle. Price is about right...lol

You should try it. Maybe it would bring back some memories and give you some kind of psychological advantage.

I golf with a guy that use some ancient kind of putter. It look like basic metal rectangle of brass. I'm sure he' attached to it,

I had a Hogan H40 driver back 1990-ish that was a magic wand for me.  Even with 25+ years of improved technology, there are some bombs I hit with that thing I can't touch with my best swings today.  I'm sure being ~18-20yo with full-time drummer's wrist and forearms vs. a 40-something IT geek has nothing to do with it. ;-)  Seriously, though...I think I sold that thing off for a titanium-face when that whole craze started, and nothing came close to replicating the magic we had.

Do any of you remember the Taylormade Titanium Bubble? I had one back whenever and loved it. I could even hit it off the deck.I don't remember when or why I changed.  I actually bought a Callaway XR16 last summer because it reminds me of the Ti Bubble.

I used a 9˚ Ping Rapture that had a blue Aldila shaft (can't remember the model) for about 4 years that I was very fond of. I found it long and forgiving. I now have the G Driver with the Ping tour shaft and find it very similar.

I'm relatively new to the game. I've only had two drivers, so not much history.

My first one was the Taylormade Jetspeed; I liked it but have not got anything to compare it to. 
I cracked it's face last year and now have a M2, which I got fitted for.

Still have the cracked Jetspeed clubhead, on a shelf, next to my poker table, as some sort of trophy :)

Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!