IGNORED

Fowler Playing With Untucked Shirt

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rickie's Untucked Shirt  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Rickie's untucked shirt?

• Cool
    • Booo!
    • Don't care one way or the other

I saw it yesterday, and I kind of like it.   Let's face it, the apparel on the PGA Tour is pretty stale.  I think it's nice to get something new out there.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glancing ar the pic of Rickie, it looks like the shirt was designed to be untucked - the hem looks shorter - so it's cool. I bought a few regular preppie unticked shirts from Johnnie-O over the holidays and when designed untucked, these shirts are good. Now if I have a Robert Talbott, that must be tucked.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't care.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I voted "cool", but I don't tuck in my golf polos ethier, so what the **** do I know. 

We've been meaning to talk to you about that for a while now. No bueno.

Colin P.

15 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rickie-fowler-will-unveil-puma-golfs-aloha-collection-in-maui

Im torn on this one. I like Rickie, and I think this move brings a broader audience into golf, but some traditions/etiquette are in place for a reason. I guess as long as you don’t look bad it works? Untucked is the new trend in business casual. 

What are your thoughts? 

Rickie is one of the few that can pull this off.   Leishman, not so much.

• Like 1

Mike Rooker

11 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

Rickie is one of the few that can pull this off.   Leishman, not so much.

I agree. It probably looks better on a thin guy than John Daly. Leave it to Rickie to challenge the norm on tour and Puma to push the limits. The more I watched, the more ok I was with it last night. Will be interesting to see what his attire looks like the rest of the weekend. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I agree. It probably looks better on a thin guy than John Daly. Leave it to Rickie to challenge the norm on tour and Puma to push the limits. The more I watched, the more ok I was with it last night. Will be interesting to see what his attire looks like the rest of the weekend. 

You reckon he has it in bright orange as well?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Just now, RussUK said:

You reckon he has it in bright orange as well?

Id put a bit of money down that he has an orange one for sure. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

8 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Looked to me that he had a good ball striking day and except for one iron he airmailed the green on and ended up with a double, he did very well in that shirt.

Mike Rooker

I only care about the play.  If it makes the player more comfy and gives the freedom of movement, I'm all for it.  I'd chuckle if I ever saw gym shorts and a tank top, but I'd still not care as long as the pro hit amazing shots and scored well.

Even more so for the women -  I have no clue about women's styles, so I just don't feel qualified to comment on ANY outfit on that side.

Exception to that?  I probably draw my line in the sand in that I just don't ever want to see fat rolls directly (PGA or LPGA).  Frankly, I'd prefer it if fat players wore long shirts untucked - it's gross to see the shirt being used as a sling for a gut.  And that does break the rule as it doesn't have to do with comfort or performance, just a visceral reaction.

Bill - 

Ricky can pull it off I suppose, would be a cold day in hell before I went on a course with my shirt untucked. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but untucked shirts just look sloppy to me.

16 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm the opposite.  Untucked shirts hide the belly fat, more appropriate for Dufner.  Those with athletic waistelines, tucked shirts look good.

MYTH! Untucked shirts do not hide belly fat! As a person with a rather round middle section I can say this with much experience on the subject. All untucked shirts do is create the bell effect, where your gut pushes the shirt several inches out and you end up with a gap between your shirt tail and your pants, an even better look is when guys allow their gut to hang out in that gap. (example below)

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.32.48 AM.png

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

47 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I only care about the play.  If it makes the player more comfy and gives the freedom of movement, I'm all for it.  I'd chuckle if I ever saw gym shorts and a tank top, but I'd still not care as long as the pro hit amazing shots and scored well.

Even more so for the women -  I have no clue about women's styles, so I just don't feel qualified to comment on ANY outfit on that side.

Exception to that?  I probably draw my line in the sand in that I just don't ever want to see fat rolls directly (PGA or LPGA).  Frankly, I'd prefer it if fat players wore long shirts untucked - it's gross to see the shirt being used as a sling for a gut.  And that does break the rule as it doesn't have to do with comfort or performance, just a visceral reaction.

Anyone notice Jon Rahm yesterday?  He has a noticeable gut on him now and he is what, 23?  5 years from now, he may resemble Shane Lowery at the rate he is going.

Mike Rooker

Just now, mcanadiens said:

I'm ok as long as old boy doesn't roll out in one of those Michelle Wie racerback tanks.

Thats an image i now need to purge from my brain.....thanks for that :-D

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

59 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Ricky can pull it off I suppose, would be a cold day in hell before I went on a course with my shirt untucked. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but untucked shirts just look sloppy to me.

MYTH! Untucked shirts do not hide belly fat! As a person with a rather round middle section I can say this with much experience on the subject. All untucked shirts do is create the bell effect, where your gut pushes the shirt several inches out and you end up with a gap between your shirt tail and your pants, an even better look is when guys allow their gut to hang out in that gap. (example below)

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.32.48 AM.png

People with bellies like this tend to have back trouble, high blood pressure, heart issues and don't last long.

Mike Rooker

18 hours ago, billchao said:

Don't care either way. I'm trying to wrap my head around this, from the article:

What exactly does Hawaiian-inspired clothing have to do with his Japanese heritage?

That style of shirt is definitely the iconic middle aged Japanese Hawaiian male thing :-D

Although, Rickie's not middle aged, yet. He's possibly reaching out to his base?

18 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think it looks good, and its appropriate for Hawaii.  I wouldn't encourage him to take it back to the mainland. 

Why not? It's all over So. Ca. :-)

18 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As for his heritage, Hawaii is as big a melting pot as anywhere, and Japanese have been around Hawaii for  a long time.  Japanese, Portugese, western Pacific islanders, Chinese, English, Americans (who are all mutts of one kind or another)  Maybe some of the aloha shirts incorporate Japanese designs, I don't know.

Yup, I can relate to this one!

Also, you forgot Taiwanese. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!