Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

New Guinness World Record - fastest hole played

13 posts / 1119 viewsLast Reply

Hole has to be over 500 yards, old record is 1:52 ish, new one is 1:50 ish. Now time to knock down a Guinness. Or two.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

500 yards… I wonder if there's a downhill 501-yard hole somewhere that could make this even easier. :-)

And just imagine what the time would be if he could have holed out his third shot (or if his third AND fourth shot were both putts).

2 hours ago, iacas said:

500 yards… I wonder if there's a downhill 501-yard hole somewhere that could make this even easier. :-)

And just imagine what the time would be if he could have holed out his third shot (or if his third AND fourth shot were both putts).

My thoughts went the other way: He might have done better if he was a better runner :-P

Pretty impressive feat.

Ok given the chance I will definitely attempt this. Just need a couple good shots and some stamina... I should put down my beer now and start working out first...

The longest recorded straight drive hole-in-one is believed to be 517 yards or 473 metres, by Mike Crean at the par 5 No. 9 hole at Green Valley Ranch Golf Club in Denver in 2002, aided by the thin air due to the high altitude.

Since the timing condition is for the ball to fall into the hole, such a shot would be the fastest hole played. Nobody actually saw Mike's ball go in, and for all we know they could've made it up or someone picked it up and put it there, but for a theoretical situation, this would be tough to beat. I didn't see anything about the hole having to be somewhat straight, so a dogleg og horseshoe 500+ yards hole makes it feasible. We saw Molinari attempt making a hole-in-one with 500 shots from 145 yards. You could do something similar with a long-drive competitor on such a hole, but when Molinari can't do it on 500 shots from 145, the odds of a long-drive making a HIO from 500+ yards are pretty poor.

The other reported condors has been from 460-500 yards, but I wonder if they checked the tee placement, which can take a bit off the length of the hole. Might not matter as much when corners are cut.

Edited by Zeph

The longest recorded home in one is on a 517 yard hole, but it is not an official record. It was done in Denver and the hole was a slight dogleg. I think the par 5 has to be straight and not at altitude. There have been more than a few holes in one on a par 5, but I am not sure any have been official. The longest official one that I found was 447 yards. At my age (75) it would take me at least 1:50 just to get to my 200 yard drive. :-)

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/2018/01/05/british-speed-golfer-breaks-record-completing-fastest-par-5

Stipulations for the record, according to Guinness, are that the hole must be at least 500 yards in length. The golfer can run or ride in a cart and must end the hole with the same number of clubs he or she started with, but the clock begins as soon  as the first stroke is made and ends when the ball drops into the hole. 

Well, Jeffs didn't need a cart. He sprinted from his drive, sprinted after his approach, ran up to the green after his chip and two-putted for a record time of 1 minute 50.6 seconds on the 500-yard hole at Tiverton Golf Course in Tiverton, UK.

The impressive thing is that he didn't use a cart. Though I think they should have a two categories. What if someone tricked out a cart to go 30 mph :-P.

Lets say he took 10 seconds to hit his approach shot and two putts, he was running at 15 mph.

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The impressive thing is that he didn't use a cart. Though I think they should have a two categories. What if someone tricked out a cart to go 30 mph :-P.

Lets say he took 10 seconds to hit his approach shot and two putts, he was running at 15 mph.

Yeah with a fast enough cart many people here could break the record.

I get closer to 10 MPH. 0.284 miles in 0.0278 hours.

Though I took what you said to mean 10 seconds in total, and by your math you must have given him about 30 seconds to hit all the shots.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah with a fast enough cart many people here could break the record.

I get closer to 10 MPH. 0.284 miles in 0.0278 hours.

Crap my math was off. I forgot to divide 15 by 1.47. The conversion from feet per second to miles per hour. Oops :whistle:

Interesting what if. Let's say everyone's current 5K times were listed with their GHIN handicap. Wonder what the fastest times would be. Maybe 1 mile time is more appropriate.

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Interesting what if. Let's say everyone's current 5K times were listed with their GHIN handicap. Wonder what the fastest times would be. Maybe 1 mile time is more appropriate.

If you combined my 5k time with my index I would officially be a high handicapper! I can't run out of sight, at night. 

I played in a scramble one time that did this as a team event. I teed off there were 2 guys in the fairway and 1 guy on the green. I hit the drive the second guy actually knocked it on and the last guy made the putt. Played the hole in like 35 seconds, it was pretty cool. We won the prize for the fastest team.

They already call me "Speed Golf Guy" in my clubhouse. Maybe I need to take this on!

My only 2018 golf goal this year is to finish 9 holes in < 1 hour while walking. I did 1:15 pretty frequently last year by lightly jogging between holes. 

It's a combination of 2 things in my current life: 1. my first child was born 2 weeks ago, so time is scarce now. 2. I've been running a lot more the last year (5k's and even 10k's now) and dropping my times. So I thought it was a cool goal to set.