IGNORED

Have you ever been a member of a forum where you didn't fit in?

Jackal1966
Note: This thread is 2270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Others have changed my profile to what it is, and golf skill levels aren’t binary. It’s not just scratch or high bogey, there’s plenty of room in between. ;-)

@Lihu, enough of this playing the victim stuff. It is like how you behaved when @billchao was trying to help you, and you flipped out for no real reason. Set your profile however you want it. You control it. We just ask that you not con yourself, or others. If you're an 18, list an 18. If you're a 3, list a 3. (You're not either of those, I don't think.)

It's not at all about how anyone "portrays" you. Stop playing the victim or martyr or whatever.

The only "problem" anyone's had with you in the last year or so is how readily you go off-topic, and you've done a good job of not doing that much lately at all. Kudos to you on that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, iacas said:

The only "problem" anyone's had with you in the last year or so is how readily you go off-topic, and you've done a good job of not doing that much lately at all. Kudos to you on that.

Oops, sorry. Not just here but at my club as well. . .

I was getting tired of golf in general, mainly from playing way to much. 1 or 2 times a day made me pretty sick of this game. So, my absence had little to do with anyone here, it really didn't take much for me to hop onto other hobbies. For sure, I'll be here for daily 5 minute postings, my weekly lessons and range practice with a few rounds in between. Not going to let my game go to pot again just because I'm doing other things. I felt a good welcome back here and at my home course. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The only other forum I visit besides this one is Reddit, and I don't actually belong there - I mean, I'm just a lurker and read stuff, I don't have an account and post anything - so it's just this one for me.

I think a big problem with forums , or email/ text for that matter, is the lack of inflection etc one gets when face to face. So....it’s real easy for some to take things not as intended and get all butt hurt over a non issue. Sure there can be some rude folks, good old boys clubs etc , on some sites but in general I think folks take things the wrong way when getting advice, critiques etc

I'm active on a couple of other boards that are mainly sports related (I'm there for college football & hoops), and in general I've found if you don't start no sh!t then you won't get any sh!t. But sometimes the pot does need some stirring, and if done right it is fun to sit back and watch it slowly (or quickly) boil over.

Players play, tough players win!

36 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I think a big problem with forums , or email/ text for that matter, is the lack of inflection etc one gets when face to face. So....it’s real easy for some to take things not as intended and get all butt hurt over a non issue.

I think the main problem is clarity and it goes both ways.

It's really tough giving advice on the internet for the very reasons you outlined, and it's very easy for both sets of people to get butt-hurt.

A person advising another poster could write something thinking that they stated things very clearly, then the person being advised doesn't understand and retorts that the advice doesn't make any sense. The person giving the advice could suddenly get defensive. Advice that could have been well intention-ed from the start, could end up devolving into a pissing match from a simple miscommunication. Plus, it only gets worse when other people of similar minds step in to defend either party, instead of attempting to clarify what was stated such that both parties understand. That just turns really ugly, and is bad for the reputation of any forum.

The other problem is that posters have some idea of what they need to fix, and it might not be correct. The person insists that their something will fix the problem, while other people might be attempting to give contrary advice. Again, this kind of falls upon the adviser to figure out how to convince the original problem poster that his solution is not correct in a well thought out manner so as to not offend.

Fitting into a forum or having a more popular one is simply a matter of showing respect for anyone who posts no matter what are your opinions and figuring out a way to discuss things respectfully.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There are some ( not exactly this), but conversation goes:

Person 1: I just bought  a new Callaway Epic and love it.

Person 2: Callaway sux!!!

P 1:  Why???

P 2 : Ping is best. Callaway sux, and you suck for playing it.

Moderator: Yes, Ping sponsors us,  and all Callaway  products suck. We have done extensive testing if you'll  take the time to search.

Site owner: Learn to use the search function before posting Callaway stuff.

See if you can get a refund and apply it to the new Ping driver.

Person 5: I love my Ping.

Person 1: What's  wrong with Callaway?

Moderator: Remember last year when  we all had new Ping drivers.

Owner: Yeah that was a great  trip.

Person : What's  wrong with Callaway?

Person 2 :  Yeah Ping is coming out with something  better next year.

Just an example. No real people or  brands.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jackal1966 said:

Just an example. No real people or  brands.

Nor an example of what happens here at all.

Elsewhere? Probably.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Before I knew any better I participated in a major travel forum usually for planning but the average was way higher than me at the time and I got all these, meh, recommendations. 

Then I went to a younger demographic travel forum and stayed at some crummy hotels based on recs. Man one of them especially sucked. Historical my butt. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nor an example of what happens here at all.

Elsewhere? Probably.

Absolutey!!! 

I would like to meet some of the members here in person.

Maybe play a few rounds together!

I used to mess with off-road and 4x4 stuff.

All of the jeep sites were great.

There was  a site called Pirate 4x4.

They had an area off limits to people with less than 2,000 posts.

You could  read, but if you posted anything, they  would cuss you out with filthy  language.

I am a welder and machinst by trade.

Been doing this for 35 years now, and have my own shop.

2 college degrees in engineering and mechanical technology.

I tried to make some suggestions for an easy and safe repair on some things.

They cussed me out because I only had 800+ posts.

That was the last time I was there.

If any of you live in Western Arkansas, let me know.

Edited by Jackal1966

15 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I think a big problem with forums , or email/ text for that matter, is the lack of inflection etc one gets when face to face. So....it’s real easy for some to take things not as intended and get all butt hurt over a non issue. Sure there can be some rude folks, good old boys clubs etc , on some sites but in general I think folks take things the wrong way when getting advice, critiques etc

I agree with this. It is hard to read intent sometimes.

I am not a member of many forums. A few I don't even go to anymore. This is the only forum I actively participate in on a daily basis. I tend to just lurk around other forums.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Used to be a member on another golf forum a while ago before i joined TST. At the time i was new to golf so thought it would be a good place to get advice. There were a few members who "tried" with the odd reply, however i got the feeling that as soon as i mentioned i was a new golfer i was ingnored.

Never had that here, and im not just saying that 'cos its true. A lot of the guys like @iacasand @mvmacdo use quite a bit of golfing jargon (just part and parcel of their trade) but are more than happy to explain what they mean which is great, like they say "Every day's a school day".

I do sometimes look at other forums if im searching for somethng and i've read a few posts where i have thought "wow, that poster is getting a proper roasting, its litterally cyber bullying".

As long as we all stay civil and good natured what does it matter if we dont agree 100% of the time. Lets face it, life would be boring if we did!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

12 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I do sometimes look at other forums if im searching for somethng and i've read a few posts where i have thought "wow, that poster is getting a proper roasting, its litterally cyber bullying".

Most people don’t know that they are cyber bullies, nor roasting other people because, again, you can’t see intent. There’s no way confront people about telling the truth in an off the cuff in a manner. So, any attempt to do so looks like cyber bullying, especially when others chime in as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The people on this forum just wont except that the Mets are going to win the World Series next year and i cant stand it. 

So long as you don't bet on it, we don't really care what you think about the Mets. You've been wrong every year, and you'll almost certainly be wrong this year too.

I just know it won't be the Pirates. For at least a decade.

27 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The people on this forum just wont except that the Mets are going to win the World Series next year and i cant stand it. 

Nah, I’m pissed that they can’t accept that it’ll be the Dodgers :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

30 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

What is really crazy is that they don't believe that next years Super Bowl will be the Lions and the Browns

and by next year I mean next decade no make that century, eh maybe millennia

Players play, tough players win!

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

So long as you don't bet on it, we don't really care what you think about the Mets. You've been wrong every year, and you'll almost certainly be wrong this year too.

I just know it won't be the Pirates. For at least a decade.

See what i mean. Look at this fools words. 

Note: This thread is 2270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!