IGNORED

My Swing (HJJ003)

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I think not shallowing shaft enough at the top. Let that right wrist bend back max. Either set early or gradually.

Should have added - get an arm connection strap (like the orange one Callaway makes - I use it) or just use a belt. It helped me greatly with maintaining spine incline, reduce sway and proper (sufficient) wrist set. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Should have added - get an arm connection strap (like the orange one Callaway makes - I use it) or just use a belt. It helped me greatly with maintaining spine incline, reduce sway and proper (sufficient) wrist set. 

Thanks I will look into that for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be headed the range around 4 today to work on some full swing stuff...clearly a lot of work needed there. Weird how the numbers work out that to a scratch player my Iron play needs serious work, but to a 20 Cap its my putting...

Screenshot 2018-05-25 14.52.34.png

Screenshot 2018-05-25 14.52.49.png

• Administrator

How's the turning rate from FO given the relative lack of hip turn during the backswing?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

How's the turning rate from FO given the relative lack of hip turn during the backswing?

Dang never even noticed my hip turn is lacking. I’ll take some more FO video and start looking for that. If im turning too fast/slow with my upper body (considering lack of hip turn) what are the resulting faults in the swing? 

On 5/25/2018 at 4:32 PM, iacas said:

Below is some FO video. Started working on some hip turn in my backswing along with elbows in the downswing. Early days for sure, but hopefully I am getting good enough turn. Not sure how my “turn rate” is though...

• Administrator

The hip turn is better there, and so, the torso turn is as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Rough last couple of weeks....Developed some bad swing habits here recently that are causing the following issues:

- Severe case of the Shanks 

- Topped Shots

- Occasional Pushes/Pulls

-Straight shots are often "weak" 

I walked off the course yesterday...and I believe the @iacas is correct in his assessment that I am playing too much golf swing and not enough Golf. Either way I went to the range to work on things and film some swings:

I look WAY over the top, but not sure why all of a sudden I am getting that far over the plane. Any help is appreciated, I am a little desperate lol. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I look WAY over the top, but not sure why all of a sudden I am getting that far over the plane. Any help is appreciated, I am a little desperate lol. 

You are.

Backswing could use more turn. But in general, I'd put a shaft over your right shoulder (and outside the golf ball) and swing under that. Not shifting the left arm out so much, nor feeling the clubhead roll out that way.

• Informative 1

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

You are.

Backswing could use more turn. But in general, I'd put a shaft over your right shoulder (and outside the golf ball) and swing under that. Not shifting the left arm out so much, nor feeling the clubhead roll out that way.

Thank you sir. I will get to work on that ASAP. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a good angle, but I wanted to share this swing video. I feel like my ballstriking has been much better the last few weeks, and I have been really hitting some good tee balls. I smashed this driver, and I think the official number was 252 which is a pretty good drive for me. The sound off the face really makes me happy. Good solid contact. 

The narration is brought to us by my wife lol. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some vids from todays practice. I am hitting the ball much better the last few weeks than previously this year. The slo mo swing is much better than the full speed vid, as I tried to swing too hard on the non-slo mo swing and even though I hit it great that OTT move could get dangerous quick. Still battling OTT, but actively working on it. 

2 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Still battling OTT, but actively working on it.

I was going to say I don't see any OTT on the full speed video @HJJ003. It looked like you were coming down right on plane. But I looked at it again @ 50% speed and I see a very slight shift upward with the hands and your upper torso leans a bit forward at about 21 seconds. (But really, I don't know what's correct so don't listen to anything I have to say.)

Overall, the swing looks good.

How is your ball flight on the course? Do you sometimes get a slice or more fade than you'd like with your irons?

Jon

4 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I was going to say I don't see any OTT on the full speed video @HJJ003. It looked like you were coming down right on plane. But I looked at it again @ 50% speed and I see a very slight shift upward with the hands and your upper torso leans a bit forward at about 21 seconds. (But really, I don't know what's correct so don't listen to anything I have to say.)

Overall, the swing looks good.

How is your ball flight on the course? Do you sometimes get a slice or more fade than you'd like with your irons?

Thanks @JonMA1. Yeah its not near as OTT as it was a few weeks ago or as when I started practicing properly. I will take a look at the hands and torso lean, I appreciate the extra set of eyes for sure. 

The ball flight varies. I have noticed I have started drawing the ball when I am on plane (which is ok by me), but my misses are pulls or push fades. My slice is still there with the woods though. Playable for the most part, but often knocks my distance down to the 220 range, as compared to straight or slight pull that seems to go forever.

@HJJ003, you seem to keep your upper right  arm nice and tight to your ribs during your practice downswing with a nice shallow shaft attack but it separates during the actual swing. I think that allows you to come OTT. Don't think you need to keep it pinched hard to your body but maintaining a soft contact with your ribs will help shallow the shaft greatly coming into the ball.

• Informative 1

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@HJJ003, you seem to keep your upper right  arm nice and tight to your ribs during your practice downswing with a nice shallow shaft attack but it separates during the actual swing. I think that allows you to come OTT. Don't think you need to keep it pinched hard to your body but maintaining a soft contact with your ribs will help shallow the shaft greatly coming into the ball.

Thanks @GolfLug! I noticed that as well....My guess is that I am trying too hard to bring the club onto the back of the ball during the actual swing...need to slow down some more and integrate that soft contact into the real swing. 

9 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Thanks @GolfLug! I noticed that as well....My guess is that I am trying too hard to bring the club onto the back of the ball during the actual swing...need to slow down some more and integrate that soft contact into the real swing. 

The vision track is a great aid. 

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using this drill (head cover under arm) to assist with keeping my right arm and body connected throughout the swing (good feel by the way thanks @GolfLug. I have seen some good ball flight results, but was just wondering if this drill could have some long term negative effects. Today I hit my way through my irons, hitting three with the head cover, and then three without the head cover. I did this for each Iron in the bag. I like my ball flight (relative to the old days), and I am seeing improvement in my scores. Just don't want to overdue the drill and cause something else. 

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!