IGNORED

Most Difficult Course You’ve Played

Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't played many of the more prestigious courses, but I remember that the one time I played River Rouge in Detroit, it was a massive challenge. The greens play very fast, and the course features some rather amazing elevation changes (considering that the city and most of the midwest is mostly flat, it's very surprising). 

The front 9 at Rackham has always given me problems for whatever reason; the back 9 is where I usually play fairly decent. 

Down in Alabama, many members of my family are members of Inverness Country Club. I haven't played the course since the redesign, but it was always challenging, and beautiful. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Royal New Kent in Providence, VA. It kicks ass every time I play there and I love it more each time.

On windy days it's hard to get your bearings. Lots of blind tee and approach shots, forced carries, winding fairways with eclecticaly placed dunes and cavernous bunkers, of which some have steps to get in and out, big subtly undulating fast greens and ofcourse the rough survives on a steady diet of golf balls that you can't find. Oh, and I dare you to play the 'Invicta' tees. Loooong. 

Like I said... what's not to love.

Vishal S.

I always feel that it’s not the course it's the way I’m playing the game so good to see two local tough ones with Koolau and Luana Hills. I enjoy Luana, and every time I feel I got my game together I’ll play Koolau which immediately humbles me. Tough course. 

New Year’s Day we played Titirangi GC in Auckland and that course ate me alive. Not sure when we will go back to NZ but when we do, I told my wife let’s play that course 2 days in a row. I hope I’m not a sadist. 

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

perhaps the ranch golf club in san jose, CA, which is no longer open. 73/150+ from the tips. 

course wasn't super long so a good driver made it play a bit easier. major elevation changes. greens were fast and well taken care of. stunning views.

• Like 1

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

On 1/11/2018 at 3:35 PM, phan52 said:

Oakmont. Not even close. But now that i have played it I would like another shot at it. 

Agree. Played it a few times in the 2003 US Amateur. Fairways were rock hard and undulating. Greens were as fast as they could be without the ball rolling when re-marked. Primary rough was thick 8-10”. Apparently the USGA started the idea of hosting the US Open on the same course the following year and using the amateurs as guinnea pigs to see how hard they could set it up without having to embarrass the pros during the open. I think the only player to break par during stroke play was JB Holmes. 

Similar story the following year at Winged Foot in the US Am.  I played the West course during a downpour for almost the entire round. It was nearly impossible, but the afternoon wave faired much better with no rain and receptive greens. Hard to tell how much of the course’s difficulty was due to rain. I think Oakmont is harder in same weather comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Ocean Course Kiawah, 15 to 20 mph North wind. The Head Pro apologized for the speed of the greens before we played. Maybe 11 to 13 speed in the wind and dried up greens. Shot a 82

felt like 62. Great trip, I want to go back soon.

• Like 1

I have a couple more candidates although I guess Spyglass Hill is still #1. At least it's the one I scored the worst on, but it was February, and I hadn't touched a club in months! So that's a mitigating circumstance. 

The next 2 are located right here in NE Ohio. The first is the now defunct Thunder Hill. From the tips 7,504 yards, 78.5 course rating, 152 slope rating. This was another course designed by a guy who was not a professional course architect, and it was spectacular! It used to be a fish hatchery, so there was plenty of water. But the most impressive thing about the design was how every hole felt like it was the only one out there! It felt like you were isolated from the rest of the course. And it's not like there were 1/2 mile hikes from green to tee! I miss that place. 

The other is Fowlers Mill, a Pete Dye design. The conditioning is excellent and the greens are very fast! And it's not all about distance there, though some hole will challenge you that way. The 10th hole is only about 335 yards from the tees we play, but there's a dozen way to get in trouble! 

• Like 1

The Country Club in Brookline MA.  Long, lot of elevation and 6-8" rough.  Not much fun if you miss a fairway or green,

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I have a couple more candidates although I guess Spyglass Hill is still #1. At least it's the one I scored the worst on, but it was February, and I hadn't touched a club in months! So that's a mitigating circumstance. 

The next 2 are located right here in NE Ohio. The first is the now defunct Thunder Hill. From the tips 7,504 yards, 78.5 course rating, 152 slope rating. This was another course designed by a guy who was not a professional course architect, and it was spectacular! It used to be a fish hatchery, so there was plenty of water. But the most impressive thing about the design was how every hole felt like it was the only one out there! It felt like you were isolated from the rest of the course. And it's not like there were 1/2 mile hikes from green to tee! I miss that place.  

The other is Fowlers Mill, a Pete Dye design. The conditioning is excellent and the greens are very fast! And it's not all about distance there, though some hole will challenge you that way. The 10th hole is only about 335 yards from the tees we play, but there's a dozen way to get in trouble! 

I've had chance to play all 3. Loved Spyglass.It is a very challenging course. Tougher than Pebble.  Thunder Hill played it from the tips....Couple tee boxes were difficult to find...Ha...That was a beast. It wasn't per se a great golf course. And hence met it's fate. Fowler is nice. It is not a course I'd say was a challenger for toughest though.  

Of the courses mentioned just prior. I've made way around all but Oakmont and Koolau. It is one thing playing these...It's entirely another playing in top tournament conditions...My guess is Oakmont would be an absolute beast. The course at Brookline isn't even the course they play for US open. So identifying it isn't proper. It isn't the same. Ocean at Kiawah....If they wanted to they could embarrass the tour players there. But when they had the PGA there they made it playable so they wouldn't scare off their future clients. For those I know who have played Koolau or however you spell it...They say don't go...It is stupid tough. Lost balls galore. Winged Foot is very challenging but fair. Thick rough. Angled fairways which you thought you hit but your ball slid slightly with the terrain and now you are pressed as to whether you can advance it to the green from insane rough....Ugh...Good stuff.   

For just one round, it was at Galloway National in NJ. That course is freaking impossible when the wind blows and it was blowing hard that day. I shot somewhere around 85 and felt it was a good score... 

Even though ive broken 80 all 10 or so times ive played there, Pine Valley is the toughest course ive ever played in general. Some people ive talked to think the course is playable for a range of golfers because the fairways are so big, but it really isnt. Its pretty much a forced carry ballstrikers golf course with NO ROOM to miss. Every approach shot is stress. Most of the greens there (especially the par 3's) are pretty much "hit the green or screw you. Enjoy your bogey or worse" 

On 6/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, FLOG4 said:

Of the courses mentioned just prior. I've made way around all but Oakmont and Koolau. It is one thing playing these...It's entirely another playing in top tournament conditions...My guess is Oakmont would be an absolute beast. The course at Brookline isn't even the course they play for US open. So identifying it isn't proper. It isn't the same. Ocean at Kiawah....If they wanted to they could embarrass the tour players there. But when they had the PGA there they made it playable so they wouldn't scare off their future clients. For those I know who have played Koolau or however you spell it...They say don't go...It is stupid tough. Lost balls galore. Winged Foot is very challenging but fair. Thick rough. Angled fairways which you thought you hit but your ball slid slightly with the terrain and now you are pressed as to whether you can advance it to the green from insane rough....Ugh...Good stuff.   

I played it late 90's, and I would say, if you love the game of golf, yes go play it! 

Yes, it is very hard, but it is a gorgeous golf course, at least it was when I played it. Yes I probably lost 10 balls. It's fairway, then maybe 15 yards of rough, then jungle.

Edited by PineValley

• 4 weeks later...

For me it was the K Club in Straffen, County Kildare Ireland.  Went there a few years ago on a company trip and it kicked my A__!

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my "toughest" might be coming up in about a month. I'm entered in the "Greatest Golfer of the Valley" tourney again this year, and just got an e-mail that the Senior division is playing Avalon Lakes on the second day of the tournament! Wow! I've been wanting to play there for years!

It's a Pete Dye design and re-design. He built the original course, but didn't really extend himself, probably due to budget. The city of Warren was building the place. Also a resort hotel, tennis center, the whole deal. When it got into financial trouble because the politicians didn't know how to run a business, a multi-billionaire stepped in and bought the whole kit and caboodle!

The first thing he did was re-hire Dye to re-design the course, with no expense spared. The original course was as flat as a pancake because that's how the land was, and the budget was bargain basement! The re-design looks like Dye moved about a million yards of earth to create what he did, and the result is spectacular. The new owner wanted a track that could attract a PGA Tour event, and he got it. The last time I saw the place was quite a few years ago when the LPGA Tour played there. The ladies raved about the place! 

This Saturday the junior division of the Greatest Golfer tourney has their final round there. I plan to be on hand. Not just to watch the juniors, but to have a look at the course before I play it. i plan to take a notebook! I missed the cut for the final day last year because Youngstown Country Club, which I had never laid eyes on, just ate my lunch! 

I remember years ago playing a course in Madison Ohio called Thunder Hill. It wasnt the greatest course as far as shape goes, but I highly doubt if you could possibly find a course where water comes into play as much as this one does. The second, and last time I played it I believe I counted around 130 times that water came into play at some point or other. At that time I could usually shoot 75 or better on a 18 hole layout. I believe I shot 94 that day and probably lost a half dozen or more Titleist...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 8:52 PM, hoselpalooza said:

perhaps the ranch golf club in san jose, CA, which is no longer open. 73/150+ from the tips. 

course wasn't super long so a good driver made it play a bit easier. major elevation changes. greens were fast and well taken care of. stunning views.

Why did the Ranch close?

On 7/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, golfer2b2000 said:

I remember years ago playing a course in Madison Ohio called Thunder Hill. It wasnt the greatest course as far as shape goes, but I highly doubt if you could possibly find a course where water comes into play as much as this one does. The second, and last time I played it I believe I counted around 130 times that water came into play at some point or other. At that time I could usually shoot 75 or better on a 18 hole layout. I believe I shot 94 that day and probably lost a half dozen or more Titleist...

How can water come into play 130 times with something in the neighborhood of a maximum of 36-40 full swing shots for 18 holes with your 10 handicap?  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!