IGNORED

My favorite Peter Kostis analysis

Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • They don't work 4 of 7 days.
  • They don't work every week.
  • Even when they are working, they're on-air for, what, six hours?

They still go to dinner with people, even when they're working. They can still read on flights. They still sit in airports, or in cars, or have evenings at the hotel when they aren't phoning home.

I've been to a lot of PGA Tour events. You almost never see the talking heads wandering around on the practice range. Sometimes, but really rarely. Slightly less rarely, you'll see them on the putting green, but even then it's, to over-use the word… rare.

Johnny Miller still, AFAIK, charts out all of the greens and hole locations each day himself. That him doing so left an impression on me speaks to the work and prep some of the guys do. That should almost be a minimum level of prep. And maybe that is one of the reasons I don't slag on Johnny too much - he's one of the more likely ones to get out amongst the players before the round, even though he's aware of how he's sometimes perceived by them.

Jeez, just what the heck are they doing? :-O

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

Someone picked the wrong example of analyzing.  Much better to see the current examples with the camera facing facing the player, not from behind.  You can see posture, grip, ball position, club coming into the ball, head position if they are dipping and follow through.  This is what Kostis does on a regular basis.

I think you missed the joke in that post.

@Veteran Golf Fan, do you agree that the Brian Gay analysis was bad, and didn't line up at all with what he was doing?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think you missed the joke in that post.

@Veteran Golf Fan, do you agree that the Brian Gay analysis was bad, and didn't line up at all with what he was doing?

How can anyone get a correct analysis of a swing from 20 feet in back of the player?  Haven't seen that used in years.  Technology has improved a great deal since then.  Perhaps you haven't noticed the changes in swing analysis?

Mike Rooker

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

How can anyone get a correct analysis of a swing from 20 feet in back of the player?  Haven't seen that used in years.  Technology has improved a great deal since then.  Perhaps you haven't noticed the changes in swing analysis?

So, okay, in your opinion that horrible analysis wasn't Peter's fault. That wasn't just a bad job by Peter?

You realize, yes, that these are pre-done, right? Gay wasn't even wearing the same clothes. PK is not narrating these things while he's hoofing it around the golf course, making something up on the spot.

14 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yes I'd also like to hear the answer.

Are you going to answer that?

Not that the topic needs it, but you're the resident Kostis Defender, after all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

That's kind of why we have guidelines on this site for DTL and FO views. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Broadcast networks still use pretty bad angles to cover swings, although they're in HD/4K nowadays. It's not a tech thing though, more a logistics problem, yes? Being in players' eye-line, spectators, course setup.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, okay, in your opinion that horrible analysis wasn't Peter's fault. That wasn't just a bad job by Peter?

You realize, yes, that these are pre-done, right? Gay wasn't even wearing the same clothes. PK is not narrating these things while he's hoofing it around the golf course, making something up on the spot.

Are you going to answer that?

Not that the topic needs it, but you're the resident Kostis Defender, after all.

I recommend that you throw out all old Kostis instruction videos and go with the much more recent videos he does on all CBS telecasts.  He has changed his analysis and you should too.

Mike Rooker

• Administrator
Just now, Veteran Golf Fan said:

I recommend that you throw out all old Kostis instruction videos and go with the much more recent videos he does on all CBS telecasts.  He has changed his analysis and you should too.

Okay:

That's really, really bad.

And recent.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Okay:

That's really, really bad.

And recent.

I have seen several videos on this site in a short time, many at least 4 years old and citing the video as gospel.  Didn't make me warm and fuzzy, especially on Tiger.  Hey, he is swinging different now.  Post something from the Hero and we will be good to go.

Mike Rooker

• Administrator
Just now, Veteran Golf Fan said:

I have seen several videos on this site in a short time, many at least 4 years old and citing the video as gospel.  Didn't make me warm and fuzzy, especially on Tiger.  Hey, he is swinging different now.  Post something from the Hero and we will be good to go.

This topic isn't about Tiger, and Peter Kostis didn't cover the HERO.

You asked for a recent video from Peter Kostis. The topic I just linked to is one. And it's bad.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

This topic isn't about Tiger, and Peter Kostis didn't cover the HERO.

You asked for a recent video from Peter Kostis. The topic I just linked to is one. And it's bad.

Ok then, post something recent from Kostis per the way I have been seeing it.

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Broadcast networks still use pretty bad angles to cover swings, although they're in HD/4K nowadays. It's not a tech thing though, more a logistics problem, yes? Being in players' eye-line, spectators, course setup.

Please explain the bad angle when the player is shown with the camera facing him from 15-2O feet.  By the way, haven't seen any tour players complaining about the video camera.

Mike Rooker

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

I did. I don't know what "per the way I have been seeing it" means. Who knows how you have been seeing it? I don't have the same "Peter-Kostis-is-great-and-never-makes-a-mistake" glasses you've got.

5 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

Please explain the bad angle when the player is shown with the camera facing him from 15-2O feet.  By the way, haven't seen any tour players complaining about the video camera.

Oy.

2 hours ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

20 feet has nothing to do with it. Any kid 3 days out of Golfer's Career College would have identified Gay as having essentially zero hip rotation. Helen Keller could have done better.

12 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

20 feet has nothing to do with it. Any kid 3 days out of Golfer's Career College would have identified Gay as having essentially zero hip rotation. Helen Keller could have done better.

Like I said, the old methods of analyzing the swing were inferior to the modern methods of face on with the player.  Kostis does this and his analysis is spot on.

Mike Rooker

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

Like I said, the old methods of analyzing the swing were inferior to the modern methods of face on with the player.  Kostis does this and his analysis is spot on.

I'm looking around for Ashton Kutcher because I know I'm getting punked right now.

Each POV can be used for a unique perspective of the swing and can show certain elements that can't be seen from other viewpoints. No one view is superior to another. The limits on information from individual 2D perspectives is what led researchers and instructors to 3D motion analysis, and the study of kinematics and kinetics.

Saying that a 2D view from face on is THE cutting edge tool for swing analysis is just nonsense.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

I honestly don't think you read posts or you're purposely being obtuse.

@iacas posted the video of Patrick Reed. It's recent, Reed has Epic headcovers in his bag.

Did you see the video?

Do you think Reed pressures his right foot on the downswing?

4 hours ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

You can see posture, grip, ball position, club coming into the ball, head position if they are dipping and follow through. 

You really don't like the head dipping do you?

Most good players have a little dip into transition.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, SunkTheBirdie said:

This is an impact position only a mother could love.

image.png.4313fc19cfdb2034253500b9d0c0b1d5.png

Very Moe Normanish...except Moe at least got his legs moving.

image.png.41aa8a46964d3378128750904c9463d3.png

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

Let's stick to the topic, please.

That topic is Peter Kostis and his swing analyses.

Note: This thread is 2089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!