IGNORED

Mark Crossfield vs. TaylorMade

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, klineka said:

Let me get this straight. You didnt like his video because he told you that the M2 performs just as good as the M1 when configured the same way, which could save you, as the consumer, money? As a consumer I want someone to protect me from false claims by manufacturers. I want someone with more experience, knowledge, and technology (launch monitors) to let me know when a manufacturer's claim is accurate and when its just a gimmick. 

I start to believe you are intentionally trying to misunderstand me...

Either that, or Marc Crossfield's ploy worked really well on you. He's not trying to protect the consumers, he's marketing himself as a guy who protects the consumers.

If the only thing he said was that the M2 performs just as good as the M1 when configured the same way I wouldn't say anything, but on top of that he keeps claiming the moveable weights in the M1 don't have any noticeable effect at all, implicating that there's really no one who should chose the M1 over the M2 and the M1 was basically a trick by TM to get people pay more money for a club that doesn't do anything the cheaper version can't do as well.

If what you think he meant was acutally the only thing he meant, why would Taylormade have been so upset after his reviews of the 2016 M1/M2 that they at first didn't want to send him the 2017 models?

And to clarify again what it is that I don't like about his work is that his bashing of OEM marketing is essentially the pot calling the kettle black. The guy's making a living by getting as many people as possible to watch his videos, so he does everything he can to remain a topic of conversation and build a brand around himself that gets people to trust him and subscribe to his channel.

17 hours ago, klineka said:

Ok to clarify then, I dont think it is right for people to assume his reviews will be biased simply because there is a conflict of interest. If he comes out and says the M3 is the worst driver and the 917 D2 is the best, then sure I will agree that the conflict of interest is affecting his club review, but until that happens I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Oh absolutely - I don't think people ever ought to assume the worst of other people. If he reviews a club I'm interested in , I'll still watch it. 

But I don't see this as a question about MC's character, I think it just a simple business dispute. Mark wants to have the commercial benefit of alignment while retaining all the prior benefits of non-alignment.Fair enough. Some brands are happy to go along with that, but TM aren't. It's not an unusual or unreasonable stance to take, and Mark should have factored in the possibility when signing with Titleist. He may be disappointed, but his reaction is over the top.

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

Oh absolutely - I don't think people ever ought to assume the worst of other people. If he reviews a club I'm interested in , I'll still watch it. 

But I don't see this as a question about MC's character, I think it just a simple business dispute. Mark wants to have the commercial benefit of alignment while retaining all the prior benefits of non-alignment.Fair enough. Some brands are happy to go along with that, but TM aren't. It's not an unusual or unreasonable stance to take, and Mark should have factored in the possibility when signing with Titleist. He may be disappointed, but his reaction is over the top.

His reaction over the top? You've never seen me miss a 2 foot putt! :-D.

I have to say im a fan of Mark's but more for his course vlogs than his reviews. I like the fun nature of them. Plus the fact that despite both he and Lockey being pretty decent golfers they can still hit some monumentally bad shots. Gives us mere mortals a shred of comfort.

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, UlyssesSky said:

Either that, or Marc Crossfield's ploy worked really well on you. He's not trying to protect the consumers, he's marketing himself as a guy who protects the consumers.

If the only thing he said was that the M2 performs just as good as the M1 when configured the same way I wouldn't say anything, but on top of that he keeps claiming the moveable weights in the M1 don't have any noticeable effect at all, implicating that there's really no one who should chose the M1 over the M2 and the M1 was basically a trick by TM to get people pay more money for a club that doesn't do anything the cheaper version can't do as well.

If what you think he meant was acutally the only thing he meant, why would Taylormade have been so upset after his reviews of the 2016 M1/M2 that they at first didn't want to send him the 2017 models?

And to clarify again what it is that I don't like about his work is that his bashing of OEM marketing is essentially the pot calling the kettle black. The guy's making a living by getting as many people as possible to watch his videos, so he does everything he can to remain a topic of conversation and build a brand around himself that gets people to trust him and subscribe to his channel.

Ironically, for Mark, the tweak ability of the M1 over the M2 might be very helpful. For someone like me, it would probably make no noticeable difference.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 hours ago, UlyssesSky said:

I am not trying to misunderstand you, but I dont think you listened to the exact words that he stated. As I have mentioned in previous posts in this thread, Crossfield states that based on his testing, he has only seen around a 300 RPM spin difference based on weight positioning in the M1. He states that if you are concerned with getting your spin that precise, or if you are a good enough golfer to where that 300 RPM of spin will make a difference for you, then the M1 is worth it. But the majority of golfers that watch his videos do not hit it consistent enough to worry about 300 RPM of spin, therefore they would be better suited in choosing the M2 and saving some money. 

I dont know where you are coming up with the idea that he stated the moveable weights in the M1 dont have any noticeable effect at all. Watch his wrap up in the comparison video, he says that if you are trying to tinker with 200 RPMs of spin and a little left/right bias, the the M1 is the better option, but for most the M2 will be fine. Please explain what made you think he stated the moveable weights dont have any affect?

How is he not trying to protect the consumer? He presented the data and the facts he gathered from his testing and showed how a consumer can save money while still getting a quality product. That seems to me like he is looking out for the consumer. Please explain how he is not trying to protect the consumer.

Also, I have the M2 driver and the M1 3 wood in my bag at the moment, so please dont think that I am agreeing with Crossfield just because I hate the M1. It came down to cost for me. I found a really good deal for a used M1 3 wood so I went with it. I hit it really really well off the fairway on par 5s. If I would have found a great deal on an M1 driver head I would have chosen that as well. 

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I prefer golyspy for reviews anyway. I know this year they have to buy their own TM/Callaway/PXG clubs to test.

Personally dont think someone should be signed by someone and trying to review stuff.

I am very entertained by Crossfield and the muppets.  I don't pay much attention to his club reviews because I'm very firmly in the Indian not the Arrow camp, with the possible exception of driver and, even then the right fitting probably matters a lot more than the clubhead.  All of which I would think Crossfield (and, I'm guessing iacas) would agree with.

His whining about TM did grow tiresome.

I believe Crossfield is an honest guy and will do his level best to continue to review impartially.  I'm just not sure it is possible.  I analogize it -- very loosely -- to politics and lobbyists.  Lobbyists have access to the politicians.  Granted we can probably agree most lobbyists and politicians are less than scrupulous, but if we give them the benefit of the doubt, a lobbyist sits down with a politician and makes important points about a bill that the politician maybe hadn't considered.  That affects his or her vote. 

Titleist has more access to Crossfield than the other brands, so it will have more opportunity to educate him and provide greater detail about its products.  Moreover, he probably will develop relationships with and like the Titleist folks.  Armed with all this knowledge, it will be natural for him - while fully intending to retain impartiality -- to sing Titleist's praises more than others. 

• 1 year later...

I've been watching lots of different reviewers on youtube for the last couple years and reading various articles for many years before that. The whole idea of "impartiality" in this type of content is silly. People hit away with a new club and regurgitate the press release the companies distribute. Every bit of pseudoscientific marketing is repeated in almost every club review. Of course the reviewers have all different swings, shoot different scores on different conditions than any one of us would on our own. So the last several years the norm is to kick out all these disclaimers about getting professionally fitted, which of course involves paying the fitter upfront and buying new clubs at these artificial prices, with another backend commission going to the fitter. 

However I don't think any of the popular youtube reviewers are more or less biased than one another - there is inherent bias in recommending new clubs and major manufacturers, but that's about it.

I do have a random compliment to offer about Shiels, he does the analytical work in his reviews, offers comparisons between new and old tech, and isn't too afraid to criticize the pricing or point out that the incremental improvements available are costly.

• iacas changed the title to Mark Crossfield vs. TaylorMade
Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!