IGNORED

Why the hurry?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Shooting29 said:

Its not a hurry, its a dislike of watching people be inefficient. 

Never hit a drive over 200? don't wait for the green to clear from 250.

first one to putt out grabs the flag and stands ready to replace it when the last person putts out. 

Go to your ball and get ready while your buddy is hitting, don't wait until it's your turn to start getting your yardage.

if the flag is on the right and you hit it left, carry your chipping club with you so you don't have to walk back across the green to get your clubs.

don't piddle around when you finish a hole, go to the next tee to write down scores, we can't hit while you are parked beside the green air counting or chatting.

watching someone take 15 practice swings then duff it is annoying. same as watching a person grind over a 2 footer like its to win the US Open. 

poor play isnt what slows rounds, its the above kind of stuff and its why faster players are aggravated at slower players. It can be but rarely is the fault of a person who no matter what just moves at a sloth's pace.

I can’t add much to this. The only time I see poor golf add to time is people who constantly lose balls and spend too much time looking. If it’s once in a while, not a big deal, but if it’s constant, even multiple lost balls in a single hole, just take a stroke and drop it nearest where you lost it if you can’t find it quickly. And play a cheap gamer. Waiting for someone who is actually spending 5 minutes looking for a ball is painful. 

12 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Any 4-some of reasonably competent, unimpeded golfers, who can't get around in 3:30 or less, are slow.  I'm not saying they're necessarily contributing to slow play, but they are inefficient, and slower than they should be.

Pretty cookie cutter reply, I have seen courses where 4 1/2 hours is FLYING. Maybe at your course this is true, but not at all courses. I can play in 3 hours, but IMHO it's rushing. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

What I am getting at it is I want to understand why people want to play at a pace where you finish so quickly. I like to spend some time on the course. When I play at that pace and finish in 3 hours I am often like, "Okay what now?" I will then go wander around the pro shop or maybe go chip or putt, because I like to play golf and I like to be at the golf course. Again I hate 5 1/2 hour rounds because waiting on every shot can get old in a hurry, but there is a nice medium at a 4 hour pace.

So why do you think 4 hours is a good pace?  I'm being a little sarcastic (but not trying to be mean about it), but the same reasoning could be made by those who want to turn it into an all-day thing: "We started around 8 a.m., and now it's noon and we're done already.  Okay, now what? I wish we'd spent  6 hours instead of rushing and being done in 4."  They might wonder why you want to rush at 4 hours.  (Yes, this might be a little bit of a straw-man argument, but I think there's at least a little validity in it.)

I guess your perspective can depend, in part, on what else is going on in your life.  If nothing else is in your plan, then there are worse places to be than sitting on a golf cart outdoors in beautiful weather. Some of us do have other things going on, whether work, family, etc.  Sometimes that means that there's not enough time for golf at one pace of play, but it's do-able at a faster pace of play.

As mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, personality/temperament affects our perception of appropriate pace as well.  As I get to my ball, deciding on a shot & club doesn't take long.  After that, make the shot. Fellow-competitors do the same. Walk to the ball, rinse and repeat. I often play in the late afternoon or into the evening; playing a solo round of 18 holes, walking, takes me about 2:20 if the holes ahead of me are open. That's not feeling rushed, on a 6000-yard municipal parkland style course. If I pair up with one of my frequent playing-partners, I'll pick up my walking pace a little bit (he's in his upper 70s, so he rides a cart instead of walking)--but our shots never feel rushed--so we'll play in 2:10 or :15 or so if the course is clear.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

7 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Let me start by saying I am certainly not a fan of 5 1/2 hour rounds of golf, but I also don't see a need as a foursome to jog around the course in order to play in 3 hours. I see it at the course where I work, there is a group that plays there all the time, the only thing they are concerned with is how fast they play. You ask them, "How did you play today?" One of them will give you the time it took to play 18. Not a score, not a story about a great shot they hit or a putt they missed, just the amount of time it took to get around. I also see it on this forum sometimes, people seem to equate a good round to how fast they can get done. 

My question is, what's your hurry? People must like to play golf, why do they want to be finished so fast? I can and have played in less than 3 hours, but a good 4 hour round is perfect. I have time to think about each shot, actually read putts, take a practice swing if I need one, and I don't have to jog to my next shot. I don't really want to be done in 3 hours, I like being on the golf course, plus it just gives my wife an extra hour to put me to work after I get home. Thoughts?

My two cents: like you said, people like to play golf. And anytime you're waiting to hit, you aren't playing golf... you're waiting. You may be standing on a golf course, but you're not playing golf. And as Tom Petty once said: 

Constantine

4 hours ago, cmj3212 said:

OT but where in the STL area do you play @WUTiger? Looking for some potential day trips this summer from Central Illinois.

I play out of Stonewolf in Fairview Heights. Stonewolf is a Walters Golf Mgt. property, so I can play at most other Walters courses for just a few $$, space available.

Besides Stonewolf, the Illinois Walters properties include Far Oaks GC (our next-door neighbor), Gateway National GC, The Prairies GC, Oak Terrace Resort (Pana), and Crab Orchard GC (Carterville).

In the old TST group era, we had probably 10 members of Archland Golfers in St. Louis area. I'll keep you in mind.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Pretty cookie cutter reply, I have seen courses where 4 1/2 hours is FLYING. Maybe at your course this is true, but not at all courses. I can play in 3 hours, but IMHO it's rushing. 

Certainly the Oakmonts and Pine Valleys of the world offer exceptions, but the vast majority of courses that the vast majority of we recreational golfers play aren't so penal that they can't be played quickly by reasonably competent players who aren't otherwise impeded.  

As just one example, the first time I played Sawgrass, our 4-some played in 3:40ish.  We all hit multiple shots into 17 and took the obligatory pictures along the way.  We were there to enjoy the experience and certainly weren't in any kind of hurry.  Certainly not rushed.  Just efficient.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Certainly the Oakmonts and Pine Valleys of the world offer exceptions, but the vast majority of courses that the vast majority of we recreational golfers play aren't so penal that they can't be played quickly by reasonably competent players who aren't otherwise impeded.  

As just one example, the first time I played Sawgrass, our 4-some played in 3:40ish.  We all hit multiple shots into 17 and took the obligatory pictures along the way.  We were there to enjoy the experience and certainly weren't in any kind of hurry.  Certainly not rushed.  Just efficient.

Again, why? If I go to get a hour long massage I don't hope its over in 45 minutes. If I got to a New Years Eve party with friends I don't hope I can get out of there by 11:00pm. If I go to an amusement park with my kids I don't rush them out the gate after 3:40ish. I am enjoying myself, and therefor see no need to be done quickly.

So why do you think 4 hours is a good pace?

4 to 4 1/2 hours is the mark set by every golf course I have ever played including the course where I work. So why would I want to play faster? Why would I want something I enjoy doing so much to be over sooner than it needs to be? 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 2

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

13 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

My two cents: like you said, people like to play golf. And anytime you're waiting to hit, you aren't playing golf... you're waiting. You may be standing on a golf course, but you're not playing golf. And as Tom Petty once said: 

"The waiting is the the hardest part, Every day getting one more yard" is certainly the feeling I get waiting on some people :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

34 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Again, why? If I go to get a hour long massage I don't hope its over in 45 minutes. If I got to a New Years Eve party with friends I don't hope I can get out of there by 11:00pm. If I go to an amusement park with my kids I don't rush them out the gate after 3:40ish. I am enjoying myself, and therefor see no need to be done quickly.

A bunch of people have already said this, but: because you don't get to play more golf in a 5-hour round vs. a 4-hour round. You just spend the extra time standing around on a tee box watching the group in front of you.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I recently played in Palm Springs with a few experienced players and we kept a very good pace - faster than I normally play, that's for sure. Anyway, there was a couple of guys in a cart pushing us the whole way.. They wouldn't pass us, they just parked back a ways, arms folded, staring like they were irritated. When we got done, the guy that wipes down your clubs told us those two jaggofs regularly play 18 holes in 2 hours. My thinking was, "why"? Why live in a beautiful place like that and be in such a hurry to get off the course?  

1 minute ago, Kalnoky said:

I recently played in Palm Springs with a few experienced players and we kept a very good pace - faster than I normally play, that's for sure. Anyway, there was a couple of guys in a cart pushing us the whole way.. They wouldn't pass us, they just parked back a ways, arms folded, staring like they were irritated. When we got done, the guy that wipes down your clubs told us those two jaggofs regularly play 18 holes in 2 hours. My thinking was, "why"? Why live in a beautiful place like that and be in such a hurry to get off the course?  

It's possible that they just got used to playing fast to get off the course before it gets too hot in the summers. I've know a few people who like to play in 2.5 hours, and the reason they do is to be able to do other things. The first 4 or 5 groups who go out in the mornings at my home course are done before the 8:15 group goes out. I've played with one of those groups, and it honestly didn't feel rushed. Efficient, but not rushed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
13 minutes ago, jamo said:

A bunch of people have already said this, but: because you don't get to play more golf in a 5-hour round vs. a 4-hour round. You just spend the extra time standing around on a tee box watching the group in front of you.

5 hour round is a long time I am talking 4 hours as prescribed by most golf courses.

BUT, I am still out there with my buddies having a good time so if we unfortunately get stuck in a 5 hour round so be it. Relax and have a conversation, drink a beer if you are so inclined.

To me a 5 hour round is better than a 3 hour round and 2 hours of housework. Perhaps I am just more relaxed, I am in no hurry when I play golf. I pretty much clear the calendar.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
21 hours ago, NM Golf said:

People must like to play golf

If I shoot 72 in 3 hours or 5 hours, I still played the same amount of golf.

The latter just had an extra two hours of staring at the group in front of me.

P.S. I don't have to "run around the course" to play in three hours.

19 hours ago, NM Golf said:

when there is nothing pressing to do afterwards

That's quite an assumption.

14 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I like to spend some time on the course.

So do I, and sometimes, the difference between 5 hours and 3.8 hours is basically the same as 0 hours versus 3.8 hours. In other words, if it's gonna take five hours, I'd rather not go (or can't go). At 3-4 hours, I can squeeze it in.

Faster play lets me play more golf.

55 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

4 to 4 1/2 hours is the mark set by every golf course I have ever played including the course where I work. So why would I want to play faster? Why would I want something I enjoy doing so much to be over sooner than it needs to be? 

Because sitting in a cart waiting on the guys in front of me is not something I enjoy.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the lives of other people, @NM Golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

This example is one of taking a good thing (ready golf) TOO FAR (to jerk golf).  I suspect this is more of the attitude the OP is talking about.

I try to look 2 or 3 groups ahead when possible and then keep up (without pushing or even implying I'm pushing) with the group in front of me - especially if the group in front of me isn't the problem.  Also, that let's me tell the group behind me, whenever they start to push or catch up, exactly where the hold up is.  (and I can also let the marshall know if it's 'really' a problem).

There is no point in playing fast if it just results in multiple groups waiting together on the same tee.

Just me - YMMV - I find some of the down time to just be part of golf.  I'd 'prefer' to hit my ball without waiting.  But when I have to, I don't begrudge the extra time outdoors one bit.  I take a drink, enjoy the scenery and calm my mind.  (can do this in a walk in the park for a LOT cheaper, though.....)

If I really want to take a 'purposely' leisureful round and kill a day, I look for an empty course with no one behind me.  If anyone catches and it's not easy to just let them immediately through (no one behind them), then I speed up.  I don't want to ruin their round any more than I want them to ruin mine.  Some regions- you can't always find courses with light loads like that.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You're making a lot of assumptions about the lives of other people, @NM Golf.

I am not assuming anything about other people. You will find most if not all my comments were "I" comments. I don't care if people play fast, I just am trying to understand what is their reasoning. Like I said I have nothing pressing to do most of the time, I like to spend the time on the course. 

Obviously, people like yourself like to play faster so you can get on to the next thing, hey thats great. Not trying to be confrontational, my position in not that playing fast is wrong. I just like to stick right at 4 hours, thats MY pace of play goal.

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I am not assuming anything about other people. You will find most if not all my comments were "I" comments. I don't care if people play fast, I just am trying to understand what is their reasoning. Like I said I have nothing pressing to do most of the time, I like to spend the time on the course. 

Obviously, people like yourself like to play faster so you can get on to the next thing, hey thats great. Not trying to be confrontational, my position in not that playing fast is wrong. I just like to stick right at 4 hours, thats MY pace of play goal.

Frankly - in an activity where resources are shared.  There is no right or wrong here other than courtesty to others.  So don't PUSH, but one shouldn't purposely DRAG their feet either.  That's about as good as we can do as individuals. 

Wondering about the motivations of others is really a pointless exercise since we all have different perspectives.  I just have to recognize that some like fast, others like slow, and respect that as long as their actions indicate they respect me too.

I don't have to 'understand them' at all.  I just need to make sure my 'actions' fit my philosophy.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Just now, rehmwa said:

Wondering about the motivations of others is really a pointless exercise since we all have different perspectives.  I just have to recognize that some like fast, others like slow, and respect that as long as their actions indicate they respect me too.

Obviously! 

• Administrator
Just now, NM Golf said:

I am not assuming anything about other people. You will find most if not all my comments were "I" comments.

You're applying your attitude to others. You're assuming that other people enjoy spending time on a golf course… waiting…? And that they have "nothing pressing to do afterward" and so on.

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I don't care if people play fast, I just am trying to understand what is their reasoning.

Then read what people are writing instead of assuming you've only written about yourself. Short version: people have different opinions on sitting there waiting on the guys in front of them, and other people have better things to do than waiting around, and some other guys can't play golf at all if it's gonna take 5-6 hours.

72 is the same amount of golf if it happens in 3 hours or 5.

4 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Like I said I have nothing pressing to do most of the time, I like to spend the time on the course.

You actually didn't say it like that, but let's not debate grammar and implied meaning here.

4 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Okay. If you listen, you're getting lots of reasons why playing faster is better than playing slower, to a point.

I don't run around the golf course.

Though, the first time my daughter broke 50, it was in 45 minutes (with a cart), and we still finished in near darkness.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!