Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (Used to Be a 3)


Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Secretmove said:

you look like a hundred mph to me.  that will get you 230 to 240 with variables listed on the right.  I was trying to find anyplace that measured CHS here in Columbus, one place Golf Galaxy has it, Golfsmith damned if they didn't go out of business, didn't know that, bought by Dicks.  Golftek has a ball speed radar, and they back figure CHS for $135 an hour.  I have a little gaget, just like the one in the below chart, gives CHS, but they are not very accurate. 

BTW, if that's your barn you are hitting golf balls at, I'm not responsible for any damage to cows, turkeys, chickens, sheep or other farm creatures while you are  exploring "long game inconsistency". 

Really off topic but...

I live close to the Golf Galaxy by Easton and have been there a few times and hit some balls with their launch monitors, but thats just hitting with the preowned clubs they have sitting there on the rack. Theres a new place that is either open or opening soon in Dublin called "The Range" they have launch monitors, but its like $60/hour to go there. No thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Secretmove said:

you look like a hundred mph to me.  that will get you 230 to 240 with variables listed on the right.  

230-240 carry or total, including roll?  Because if it's the total, that's spot on, if it's the carry, then that's awfully high for what I'm seeing out there.  But heck, what do I know?  I've been scoring a million and playing in a state of shock and confusion.

1 hour ago, Secretmove said:

BTW, if that's your barn you are hitting golf balls at, I'm not responsible for any damage to cows, turkeys, chickens, sheep or other farm creatures while you are  exploring "long game inconsistency".  

It's the barn.  Reason I was hitting that way that time was because the sun was setting part way in our faces and my son who was recording said it was messing up the video quality, so I faced towards barn, away from setting sun. It's chickens, by the way.  No cows, got rid of the pigs years ago.  Not a farmer, a prof, so I don't know jack squat about farm animals, but it was always the wife's dream to have the hobby farm, so here we are.  If one of my duck hooks or tops takes out a chicken, then it's chicken dinner that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Secretmove said:

9 to 3 drills, pay no attention to all the words, just watch the pictures and listen to the music. 

Thanks.  Chopin just kills.

43 minutes ago, klineka said:

Really off topic but...

I live close to the Golf Galaxy by Easton and have been there a few times and hit some balls with their launch monitors, but thats just hitting with the preowned clubs they have sitting there on the rack. Theres a new place that is either open or opening soon in Dublin called "The Range" they have launch monitors, but its like $60/hour to go there. No thanks.

Going up to the big city tomorrow for the weekend, will be there for a couple days, wife's going to be hanging with an old friend the whole weekend, huge PGA Superstores there, so that's where I'm going with the kid.  Tons of launch monitors.  Will see what the clubhead speed and ball flight is.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Really off topic but...

I live close to the Golf Galaxy by Easton and have been there a few times and hit some balls with their launch monitors, but thats just hitting with the preowned clubs they have sitting there on the rack. Theres a new place that is either open or opening soon in Dublin called "The Range" they have launch monitors, but its like $60/hour to go there. No thanks.

Going up to the big city tomorrow for the weekend, will be there for a couple days, wife's going to be hanging with an old friend the whole weekend, huge PGA Superstores there, so that's where I'm going with the kid.  Tons of launch monitors.  Will see what the clubhead speed and ball flight is.  

I see one thing I'm doing improperly, at least according to Golf Digest: leveling out those shoulders at the top of the backswing, kind of straightening up, shoulders parallel with the ground.  Think that's the way I've always swung.  Golf Digest says that's a hallmark of a higher handicapper.  I get the shoulders down into an OK angle at impact, but it looks like only after trying to re-angle them on the way down.  Could that be part of my issues with consistency?  I tried swinging with the shoulders maintaining angle relative to the ground through the entire swing, like Golf Digest says pros do, and it felt funny as heck and the results were a little wild, but it did feel like I was able to develop more leverage and maybe clubhead speed as I swung down through the ball.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Secretmove said:

golf-swing-speed-chart.gif.a7df6433bf9c5ed30db44b8fade0a795.gif 

This is way off topic and sorry @Used to Be a 3, but the above chart is completely wrong. First of all, 230 yards carry is far too short for a 110 swing speed unless its the SS radar unit numbers? I have one and it always reads about 5 to 10mph higher than my Flightscope Mevo.

Here's what a 105mph swing should deliver:

Screen-Shot-2013-07-19-at-8.33.25-PM.png

That's with really good contact and launch conditions as listed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Used to Be a 3 said:

I see one thing I'm doing improperly, at least according to Golf Digest: leveling out those shoulders at the top of the backswing, kind of straightening up, shoulders parallel with the ground.  Think that's the way I've always swung.  Golf Digest says that's a hallmark of a higher handicapper.  I get the shoulders down into an OK angle at impact, but it looks like only after trying to re-angle them on the way down.  Could that be part of my issues with consistency?  I tried swinging with the shoulders maintaining angle relative to the ground through the entire swing, like Golf Digest says pros do, and it felt funny as heck and the results were a little wild, but it did feel like I was able to develop more leverage and maybe clubhead speed as I swung down through the ball.  

Old Man, you suffer from a lack of youtube watching.  The answer to your question is NO.  Golf digest  and Jim Flick came out with "Square to Square", and then tiptoed away from that like a yellow dog.  Golf digest will tell you endlessly about Jacks massive "leg drive" as the source of his power.  WRONG, FALSE, watch some Malaska.  Golf digest will say 8 different things a day, all wrong, and contradictory. 

fast forward to 6 minutes into this analysis.  You could land an airplane on the duffs shoulders. 

almost all pros steepen their shoulders dramatically on the downswing.  Tiger more than anyone. 

Can you do that?  no you can not.  Should you try to do that?  Hell no.  Should you try to steepen your shoulders at the top of backswing?  Refer to question one.  Refer to the duff.  you already have a pretty good post impact P7.5.  Work on that.  Get your nose out of Golf Digest old older than dirt old man, younger than me, cause I was 10 years old when dirt was born. 

Here's my list of the best teaching pros on the planet.  top five in no particular order, all on youtube, all for free. 

Bobby Lopez, Mike Malaska, marty scheinblum, Clay Ballard, Tony Luczak. 

First thing in the morning, I sit my enormous ass down on a recliner and watch one of those guys for free on YouTube drinking cup of joe.  20 minutes later, i'm like a caged tiger, I have to do an hour of drills in my man cave with a 16 inch weighted club.  The Luczak flaminco drill is the single most important drill, he didn't invent it, but he's bringing it back from the dirt.  I did 20 minutes on that this morning, what a perfect drill. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Secretmove said:

Old Man, you suffer from a lack of youtube watching.  The answer to your question is NO.  Golf digest  and Jim Flick came out with "Square to Square", and then tiptoed away from that like a yellow dog.  Golf digest will tell you endlessly about Jacks massive "leg drive" as the source of his power.  WRONG, FALSE, watch some Malaska.  Golf digest will say 8 different things a day, all wrong, and contradictory. 

fast forward to 6 minutes into this analysis.  You could land an airplane on the duffs shoulders. 

almost all pros steepen their shoulders dramatically on the downswing.  Tiger more than anyone. 

 

 

 

 

Figures.  These gurus at the golf magazines come up with the maxims of the great swing, then they turn out to be just horse puckey.  I guess if any essential of the great swing doesn't include people like Eamonn Darcy, Charles Owens, and hickory era Ted Ray, then they're not essentials.  I was around when dirt was invented also.  Thanks for the advice!

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://blog.secretgolf.com/jason-dufner-and-the-importance-of-shoulder-plane

More on Duffner shoulder plane, flat as a pancake at P4.  Number 6 ball striker in the world before his kick in the nads by the Ex Mrs Golddigger, took all his dough.  Now he's growing his belly back, new girlfriend, and he won the other day.  The Duff rules. 

Stack and Tilt, you get a completely different  shoulder plane.   Tom Watson, swears his big secret is shoulder plane...keep it the same, something else.  Tiger Woods, something else entirely, 20 degrees steepening on the down. 

I guess you have to find a model or concept that you can live with.  IMO, NOTHING MATTERs BUT IMPACT POSITION P7 and through P9, focus on that.  You get shaft lean and no flip, you are good to go.  You have to video that to see what you are doing. 

Any and all worries or thoughts you have on the golf swing, can be entered into a search on YouTube, and there is 10 people with answers, you're a professor, do some research.  In your absence for 10 years, youtube has exploded like a hydrogen bomb.  Once you think you have your solution on youtube, bring it back to TST, and 10 guys will attack you, and you'll get slapped around, but eventually come to a solution for your swing. 

The key for coming back after a long layoff is drill baby drill.  I don't recommend hitting a ball.  Full swing will get you injured.  Do 100 swings a day at a foam ball on a string on a rubber tee, half speed, you'll be back to a three handicap in a month or two.  100 half speed 9 to 3 drills a day for one month.  Design your own drill.  Video tape every damn swing, and review them.  Eventually your professor brain will zero in to what makes sense to you.  Professor of what, Psycho-proctology?

What I did is take a foam golf ball, poked a hole through the middle and ran a nylon string through, tied it off, tied the other end to a rubber tee about 4 feet of string, poked the rubber tee up through a 5x5 piece of carpet, found a room I could take a 5 iron swing, and I do about 100 reps a day with drills I made up for myself to cure a bad flip caused by lunging forward with body first....... instead of...... arms first, then body the club. (ABC).  I designed my own drills, but that Luczak flaminco drill is killer.  Rubber tee is crucial don't be hitting anything off the ground getting impact stress on elbows.  Actually I;m doing more like 300 reps a day after a 3 year layoff.  Went to the range, and I was crushing the ball, but still flipping.  So I designed a new drill with a 20 inch shaft extension past my grip, (another shaft stuck in the shaft), and I swing with that, the game is don't touch my back with that shaft.  Talk about a no flip swing.  We'll see how that goes this weekend, finally getting some 40-50 degree weather.  Taking that to the range, can't wait. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, I'm going to disagree here @Secretmove. Whilst there is certainly some good YouTube golf instruction, there's also a lot of not-so-good and even the good instruction is not tailored to the student. 

Find out your priority piece, work on it slowly, improve. More information is not necessarily good.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
6 hours ago, b101 said:

Ok, I'm going to disagree here @Secretmove. Whilst there is certainly some good YouTube golf instruction, there's also a lot of not-so-good and even the good instruction is not tailored to the student. 

Find out your priority piece, work on it slowly, improve. More information is not necessarily good.

Yep.

Just watching videos and working on what they say is a great way to get nowhere fast.

Find your priority and work on that. Period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

single best golf video on YouTube,  MONEY. 

The best way to get nowhere fast is to NOT watch YouTube.      This video reveals the correct motion of the shoulders, explains what several of the best ballstrikers on the planet have done including the best player of all time.  It also reveals the what dogmatic poison the ground up feet then knees then hips then shoulders then arms then club, the dogma Golf Digest sells to hackers, does to poison the golf swings of millions of people.  this video is the cure. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
28 minutes ago, Secretmove said:

The best way to get nowhere fast is to NOT watch YouTube.

I disagree.

Golfers aren't instructors. They don't know what videos to watch and what videos to pay attention to. For every video out there telling you to do X, there are videos out there telling you not to do X.

Not really on topic here, @Secretmove.

P.S. That video, like your previous comment, is all about a feel. The left shoulder moves before the left arm in almost all good players. Though every player is a feel player, prescribing a feeling to every player is a recipe for disaster. 3:30 in and I've already got a problem with that video. But no matter, @Secretmove, again you should start a new topic on these videos or something if you want to discuss them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, Secretmove said:

single best golf video on YouTube,  MONEY. 

The best way to get nowhere fast is to NOT watch YouTube.      This video reveals the correct motion of the shoulders, explains what several of the best ballstrikers on the planet have done including the best player of all time.  It also reveals the what dogmatic poison the ground up feet then knees then hips then shoulders then arms then club, the dogma Golf Digest sells to hackers, does to poison the golf swings of millions of people.  this video is the cure. 

 

On the contrary, I think this is one of the WORST golf instructional videos I've seen.

Not so much for the actual instruction, but more from the the obtuse statements from the annoying Brendon DeVore re: his inability to understand the "from the ground up sequencing".   He then goes on to demonstrate that can obviously perform those moves adequately well (shifting his LOWER body to the left (contrary to his dumb earlier "upper body left" comments.).

And again, opposite to your comments of claiming that the instructor is refuting the "ground-up" sequencing, he in fact demonstrates, exactly that sequence, with his "step-and-swing' move.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...