IGNORED

Golf Channel A/V union strikes

Note: This thread is 1277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No details on how coverage is affected. The tweet below shows the union members picketing.

Union workers for video and audio production at Golf Channel events walked out Sunday over stalled contract negotiations, leading to limited coverage of the final round at the Sony Open and two other events in the Bahamas and Florida.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/01/14/golf-channel-cameramen-walk-out-on-coverage-amid-sony-open/109464924/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Golf Channel A/V union strikes

Only watched a couple of minutes so far but in those minutes they only showed aerial and course level views - none of the standard overhead tower views.

They’re back from commercial now and, yeah, it’s very noticeable.  Announcers too.  It seems like it’s only the one pair - and not their main ones.  Perhaps the usual guys are not crossing picket lines?

Something is definitely going on.

Edited by Golfingdad

17 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This coverage is something else. It's not awful, all things considered, but it's not something Golf Channel can have for more tournaments.

The announcers were the studio guys - it’s basically the exact same coverage you see during the last 15 minutes or so of the “pregame” show before the official coverage usually starts.

Its fine short term and as a teaser, but yeah, that was not great to watch the crucial part of the tournament - which means this might well have been an effective strike.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I thought the announcing was good… considering the strike.

In retrospect, now knowing about the strike, I agree that given the circumstances, they recovered well.

Striking on Sunday was a cruddy thing to do.  It'd be cool if TGC went all Ronald Reagan on their ass! :-D 

Update from Golfweek

He said his union and Golf Channel made progress during a December bargaining session on the healthcare and workweek issues, but not on pay for audio and utilities workers.

“If that happens, we’re happily going back to work,” he said.

On Jan. 13, the union voted down a contract proposal and authorized a strike beginning the next day. At noon Jan. 14, technicians received an email from Golf Channel production manager Tavi Wright reading, “Please be advised that a striking employee will not be traveled to his or her next assignment, unless he or she makes an unconditional offer to return to work by 3 p.m. EST today.”

http://golfweek.com/2018/01/17/golf-channel-union-still-at-odds-as-strike-continues/

On 1/14/2018 at 5:39 PM, Ernest Jones said:

This situation has been brewing for years. The crews have finally had enough and have walked. Good for them. **** TGC. 

This is one of the few times that I fully agree with @Ernest Jones, that "coverage" without any graphics and the usual sound was awful.

They were "stalled" for 9 months. What a sham!

I can't believe it took TGC this long to give them proper salaries and benefits. :hmm:

Edited by Lihu

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Lihu said:

They were "stalled" for 9 months. What a sham!

I can't believe it took TGC this long to give them proper salaries and benefits. :hmm:

It's two sides of a business.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand to me. Hell, there have been teacher strikes that last 9 months. Talks stall all the time in business. Look at how often Dish or cable subscribers or whatever will have messages about how they're stalled over talks about whether to carry the local NBC affiliate on your cable/satellite/whatever service.

Note: This thread is 1277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!