187 posts / 41688 viewsLast Reply

GAME GOLF has recently announced a new version of their shot tracking system and they are calling it GAME GOLF Pro

http://articles.gamegolf.com/new-game-golf-pro-offers-unprecedented-shot-tracking-for-golfers-37381/

Some of the major highlights from the article:

• Taking advantage of the industry’s most advanced shot-tracking technology is this easy: arrive at the tee, turn on GAME GOLF PRO and play. Unlike earlier iterations, there’s no need to tap the GAME GOLF tags on your clubs to the hip device. All you have to do is play golf—and every shot, distance, and club used is automatically tracked.
  • Incorporating automotive-grade sensors used by cutting edge motor companies such as Tesla, GAME GOLF PRO is so smart that it can differentiate real shots from practice swings. GAME GOLF PRO also doesn’t miss any shots and you don’t need to have your phone in your pocket, unlike competing systems. In fact, GAME GOLF PRO has its own battery and GPS included so you can leave your phone at home saving you data and battery life, if you choose.
  • Coming to market in 2018, GAME GOLF Smart Caddie helps golfers make data-driven decisions by recommending clubs and hole strategy based on your previously tracked performance. Competing systems give you a recommendation for how to play a hole. Smart Caddie takes it one step further, providing you with recommendations for every shot you face on a hole with no manual entry required. Smart Caddie can even calculate the effect of weather and elevation in making its recommendation.
  • Designed with the input of PGA of America Golf Professionals, the new GAME GOLF Coaching Dashboard not only allows you to accurately determine the parts of your game that need improvement, but it also makes it easy to share your data with your PGA Professional.
  • GAME GOLF INTELLIGENCE puts a new spin on the GAME Golf tag line of ‘Know Your Game.’ GAME GOLF INTELLIGENCE provides the golf industry with a tool it can use to lower maintenance costs, increase pace of play, improve course set-up and playability, and make courses safer.
    “By drawing on our database of more than two-million rounds and twenty-billion data points—the richest source of tracked rounds golf—GAME GOLF INTELLIGENCE makes it possible for course owners, club management, superintendents and golf architects to respond to how golfers are actually experiencing their course,” McGuire said.

Personally I like the tagging in my GAME GOLF Live unit, and it is part of my preshot routine and it acts as my "go" trigger to execute my shot.

With GAME GOLF Pro I feel like it would always be in the back of my mind "I wonder if the unit tagged that shot or not" but with the current unit, I get the beep/vibration to know it tagged the shot

One of the highlights from the article states, "you don’t need to have your phone in your pocket, unlike competing systems. In fact, GAME GOLF PRO has its own battery and GPS included so you can leave your phone at home saving you data and battery life, if you choose."  

With my current GAME GOLF Live unit, I dont have to have my phone in my pocket in order to tag the shots. Since getting the belt clip and tags, I am no longer on my phone during my rounds. I just edit the round on my phone after before I leave the course. 

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a feature like the Smart Caddie is not allowed in tournament play, correct?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm curious if they are going to make a Live version of the PRO or if it already has the capability. It is nice to be able to check that the tags were correct on my phone.

Just now, JxQx said:

I'm curious if they are going to make a Live version of the PRO or if it already has the capability. It is nice to be able to check that the tags were correct on my phone.

It's incorporated. That's how the SmartCaddie thing works.

Oh, awesome. The only other thing I wonder about is, how close the device has to be when using it? Can I leave it in my golf bag (besides putting given large greens) or does it have be in my pocket/on my belt. If I could leave it in my bag that would be a big selling point for me personally.

Edited by JxQx

12 minutes ago, klineka said:

Personally I like the tagging in my GAME GOLF Live unit, and it is part of my preshot routine and it acts as my "go" trigger to execute my shot.

I like it too, because:

• I don't get false positives (except when we're screwing with each other and surreptitiously tagging shots from my buddies, etc.).
  • They're lightweight and don't affect swing weight, unlike the larger Arccos tags and, presumably, these.
  • I can confirm, for example, that I tapped a tap-in putt, even if given to me. How will the new tap-less tagging handle that kind of situation, or a short putt, or a hybrid that you use to bump and run from just off the green? Or a practice swing where you take a divot?

With GAME GOLF Pro I feel like it would always be in the back of my mind "I wonder if the unit tagged that shot or not" but with the current unit, I get the beep/vibration to know it tagged the shot

Originally, John McGuire thought the tagging was critical. He thought it was important to signal to the golfer, as you noted above, that it's "go time." He thought it would provide a powerful mental game trick or aid.

I'm kinda sad that he didn't continue to push that, and that some people couldn't get over tagging. It's not something I really even think about anymore, and you get such wonderful data from it.

With my current GAME GOLF Live unit, I dont have to have my phone in my pocket in order to tag the shots. Since getting the belt clip and tags, I am no longer on my phone during my rounds. I just edit the round on my phone after before I leave the course. 

That paragraph is mostly about Arccos, which still requires you to use the phone for the GPS.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a feature like the Smart Caddie is not allowed in tournament play, correct?

Not unless, like the Arccos system, it's limited to advice provided before you tee off, which since it only knows the starting position of each hole, really is just about what tee shot to hit.

We were talking with them about using LSW "tech" in this feature, but they decided to roll their own. We'll see how good that is… eventually. Dave and I are still in talks with them about integrating LSW from a "these are my stats, how do I practice to improve best" perspective, though.

6 minutes ago, JxQx said:

Oh, awesome. The only other thing I wonder about is, how close the device has to be when using it? Can I leave it in my golf bag (besides putting given large greens) or does it have be in my pocket/on my belt. If I could leave it in my bag that would be a big selling point for me personally.

Pretty sure the main unit will house the GPS and thus, will have to be on your belt or something. But now you could put it in the back, or in a pocket, or whatever, as you won't have to tag.

I wonder, too, about the battery life of the tags themselves now. Arccos has each with a small battery, no?

It appears that the new club tags will need batteries like the Arccos tags do. IMHO that is a step backwards.

17 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

I did not see a release date in the article.

"Coming soon."

The SmartCaddie thing is also "2018."

11 minutes ago, 2Bad4u said:

It appears that the new club tags will need batteries like the Arccos tags do. IMHO that is a step backwards.

I agree, from a swing weight perspective if nothing else.

I'd be interested in seeing what this feature offers, with stat analysis 

“The Coaching Dashboard allows players and coaches to speed the improvement process by tracking a player’s strengths, weaknesses and tendencies on one page. It also allows the PGA Professional to build lesson plans based on a player’s on-course performance analytics rather than having to rely solely on analyzing a golfer’s swing,” McGuire said.

6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I'd be interested in seeing what this feature offers, with stat analysis 

That already exists.

It's just your Insights, etc. I'ms sure they'll beef it up, but that's the part Dave and I are also working with them to further develop. Until we're not.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

that's the part Dave and I are also working with them to further develop.

:dance:

Any chance or thoughts on "Exporting or the ability to Down Load Stats"

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Game Golf, but I'm not sure any of these new features would make me hold off on buying one. In fact, I'd prefer to tap my club instead of relying on the system to pick it up automatically for me. Smart caddie seems interesting, but not something I'd use all that much.

That stinks. I just picked up Live because of the tagging. My buddy tried Arccos and didn't like it. Too many missed, incorrectly captured, shots. I hope the keep a tagging system alive for when mine needs to be replaced. Anything with a battery won't last forever.....

5 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Game Golf, but I'm not sure any of these new features would make me hold off on buying one. In fact, I'd prefer to tap my club instead of relying on the system to pick it up automatically for me. Smart caddie seems interesting, but not something I'd use all that much.

SmartCaddie will work, I believe, with LIVE too.

A couple things..   

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That paragraph is mostly about Arccos, which still requires you to use the phone for the GPS.

In 2018 Arccos is adding a poker chip size device that you put in your front pocket which allows you to replace your phone.  

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Not unless, like the Arccos system, it's limited to advice provided before you tee off, which since it only knows the starting position of each hole, really is just about what tee shot to hit.

The Arrcos system has Tournament mode, which was approved for tournament use by the USGA.  see link below.  I imagine that Game Golf's will be a very similar option.   

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/this-latest-usga-equipment-decision-might-bring-artificial-intelligence-closer-to-competition

----

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't own either..   But it kind of seemed like Arccos and Game Golf were different garments cut from the same cloth, but as competition heats up between the two, they appear to be becoming more and more alike?  yes/no?