Jump to content

187 posts / 41582 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I visited the Game Golf booth today at the PGA Merchandise Show.  To see the new system and ask some questions. 

The answer to the question about the battery in the sensor is that it has a 2 year life,... I did not get a solid answer of what happens in two years when the battery dies.  I too was interested in this question.

I was told that the battery is off when the club is upside down in your bag.  Somehow the sensor moves is to a "sleep position"  When you take it out of your bag and get the club upright the battery is activated.

For those that have the existing system the red plastic tag is screwed into the grip. The new system will be the same except if you look at the photo carefully it more like a small cap.  I did not find it bothersome, and from my perspective I liked it better -- because I had a red tag come off my 7- iron and never noticed it.  These new caps seem more substantial and the screw looks to go deeper.  Or so it seemed to me.

I was told that the release date for the new Game Golf is April 15th, or at least that is the date they would ship mine.

The cost will go up significantly.  IF you like tapping now is the very best time to buy the present/older system.  It is $99.  If you want to buy the new system I think it will be about $250.  However, if you upgrade from an existing system there will be some consideration... Like maybe only $195.  I think they are still working this out.  Hopefully I have portrayed that it seems like there are still some pricing, upgrade and timing considerations to be worked out.

Here is how I handle putting with GG.  I write on my scorecard the distance of my first putt on each green.  Then I adjust the hole to that location when I edit on my computer when the round is complete.  I do not enter the distance of my second putt on my scorecard, since I remember it (just lucky that way about remembering things).   And if this as an issue I would simply start writing down the distance of my second, and third and fourth and fifth putt (LOL!!)

Right now GG does not give you very useful putting stats.  They say they have it on the list of upgrades.  IF they ever did it, it would be fantastic,... particularly if they could show your percentage make from every distance. But that is just "Juan" persons opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

I visited the Game Golf booth today at the PGA Merchandise Show.  To see the new system and ask some questions. 

The answer to the question about the battery in the sensor is that it has a 2 year life,... I did not get a solid answer of what happens in two years when the battery dies.  I too was interested in this question.

I was told that the battery is off when the club is upside down in your bag.  Somehow the sensor moves is to a "sleep position"  When you take it out of your bag and get the club upright the battery is activated.

For those that have the existing system the red plastic tag is screwed into the grip. The new system will be the same except if you look at the photo carefully it more like a small cap.  I did not find it bothersome, and from my perspective I liked it better -- because I had a red tag come off my 7- iron and never noticed it.  These new caps seem more substantial and the screw looks to go deeper.  Or so it seemed to me.

I was told that the release date for the new Game Golf is April 15th, or at least that is the date they would ship mine.

The cost will go up significantly.  IF you like tapping now is the very best time to buy the present/older system.  It is $99.  If you want to buy the new system I think it will be about $250.  However, if you upgrade from an existing system there will be some consideration... Like maybe only $195.  I think they are still working this out.  Hopefully I have portrayed that it seems like there are still some pricing, upgrade and timing considerations to be worked out.

Here is how I handle putting with GG.  I write on my scorecard the distance of my first putt on each green.  Then I adjust the hole to that location when I edit on my computer when the round is complete.  I do not enter the distance of my second putt on my scorecard, since I remember it (just lucky that way about remembering things).   And if this as an issue I would simply start writing down the distance of my second, and third and fourth and fifth putt (LOL!!)

Right now GG does not give you very useful putting stats.  They say they have it on the list of upgrades.  IF they ever did it, it would be fantastic,... particularly if they could show your percentage make from every distance. But that is just "Juan" persons opinion.

Thanks for the info.

Can you say anything about the size of the black disc and whether there were any comments about where that need to be stored during use (i.e. front pocket only).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem, @JuanTheGolfer, is that the bigger "caps" are going to have an effect on the swingweight of the club. Arccos was about three swingweight points, and is now down to 1.5 to 2.0 IIRC, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, FrankfurtDave said:

(i.e. front pocket only).

The disc looked to have a clip on it, so it would attach to your belt like the existing GG unit does. I wear mine on my right hip as I am a right handed golfer.

 

11 hours ago, iacas said:

The problem, @JuanTheGolfer, is that the bigger "caps" are going to have an effect on the swingweight of the club. Arccos was about three swingweight points, and is now down to 1.5 to 2.0 IIRC, for example.

You might ask GG the question on the caps impact on Swing Weight as you know the folks a lot better than me.  Would you be willing to do that and let us know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

You might ask GG the question on the caps impact on Swing Weight as you know the folks a lot better than me.  Would you be willing to do that and let us know?

Next week, sure. Give them time to get back from the Show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

The problem, @JuanTheGolfer, is that the bigger "caps" are going to have an effect on the swingweight of the club. Arccos was about three swingweight points, and is now down to 1.5 to 2.0 IIRC, for example.

Lowering my swingweights by using one of these systems might not be a bad thing for me anyway, I am around approximately D6-D7 now because of +1" and my set originally was around D2.  How much do the Game Golf and the Arccos caps weigh anyway?  Does anybody know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, paperclip said:

Lowering my swingweights by using one of these systems might not be a bad thing for me anyway, I am around approximately D6-D7 now because of +1" and my set originally was around D2.  How much do the Game Golf and the Arccos caps weigh anyway?  Does anybody know?

Well…

Quote

Each Arccos tag weighs about 10-11 grams, and that is enough to change the swingweight by two points.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/arccos_golf_review

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/25/2018 at 11:41 PM, JuanTheGolfer said:

 

The answer to the question about the battery in the sensor is that it has a 2 year life,... I did not get a solid answer of what happens in two years when the battery dies.  I too was interested in this question.

 

This Pro version, especially this quoted part, sounds very much like Arccos 360. I am surprised there is no patent fight ongoing...

I am an original Arccos user, I love it, I don't have problems with the dimension or weight of the sensors (I am not good enough to notice the difference in the swing :-D ), the only thing that slightly bothers me is that you can't set easily the pin location for putting stats; I wish there was the possibility of staying next to the flag and, for instance, hold for 2 seconds the putter sensor button to signal the position. I would be ok with the GPS inaccuracy, it would still be better than the algorithm guess game.

What I noticed in Arccos is that a few times it misses very long putts (I don't know if it misinterprets them as accidental bumps). So I check at the end of the hole, I see that it recorded 2 putts instead of 3, I think that it missed the tap in and I add a gimme. Then at home I discover it missed the first putt, so the approach distance is off. But maybe it's just my sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still wish Gamegolf gave us better putting stats. As someone who accurately puts in his putting distances/hole location, I would think my make% is possible to be presented.

Other than that, love the product. If my classic ever dies I thjnk Id want the Live unit still for the tapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A question then, since the GameGolf Pro is now being sold for $99 (I guess to clear them out), would I be better off just buying those or would it be prudent to wait until the new product is available (April?) for a higher price?  Besides eliminating the tapping requirement, is there anything that the newer system does better (maybe the sensors or accurancy etc) than the old?  And would the higher price be worth it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, paperclip said:

A question then, since the GameGolf Pro is now being sold for $99 (I guess to clear them out), would I be better off just buying those or would it be prudent to wait until the new product is available (April?) for a higher price?  Besides eliminating the tapping requirement, is there anything that the newer system does better (maybe the sensors or accurancy etc) than the old?  And would the higher price be worth it?

 

GameGolf Live is the one that is currently being discounted, I've seen it for $86 on amazon. GameGolf Pro is the new system that will be coming out.

IMO if I were looking to get one of these two units right now, I'd get the GameGolf Live unit. That's a great price for it, and I like tagging more than I would like the automatic shot detection, which was one of the main reasons I chose GameGolf over Arccos in the first place.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the tapping has now become part of my preshot routine, doesnt add any additional time. If I had the GameGolf Pro, I would be constantly wondering if the unit tagged my shots or not, especially on shots like tap in putts or unusual shots like a 3 wood chip from around the green which I used a few times last season.

Plus the two year battery life in the tags of GameGolf Pro is something to consider as well. In the GameGolf Live, the only thing that has a battery is the belt clip unit, so only one chance there for a battery to die, but in the GameGolf Pro system there is potentially 15 points of battery failure (Assuming the new black disc has a battery as well as 14 club tags)

That said, if you want automatic shot detection, think you'd never get used to tagging, and dont mind the higher price then wait for the Pro version to come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, klineka said:

GameGolf Live is the one that is currently being discounted, I've seen it for $86 on amazon. GameGolf Pro is the new system that will be coming out.

IMO if I were looking to get one of these two units right now, I'd get the GameGolf Live unit. That's a great price for it, and I like tagging more than I would like the automatic shot detection, which was one of the main reasons I chose GameGolf over Arccos in the first place.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the tapping has now become part of my preshot routine, doesnt add any additional time. If I had the GameGolf Pro, I would be constantly wondering if the unit tagged my shots or not, especially on shots like tap in putts or unusual shots like a 3 wood chip from around the green which I used a few times last season.

Plus the two year battery life in the tags of GameGolf Pro is something to consider as well. In the GameGolf Live, the only thing that has a battery is the belt clip unit, so only one chance there for a battery to die, but in the GameGolf Pro system there is potentially 15 points of battery failure (Assuming the new black disc has a battery as well as 14 club tags)

That said, if you want automatic shot detection, think you'd never get used to tagging, and dont mind the higher price then wait for the Pro version to come out.

The automatic detection of shots is not that great in the original Arcos either, so most people still need to edit the shots. The 360 is supposed to be a lot better, but I've never used that one and the tags are throwaway after 2 to 5 years. It's only about $249 at many on line retailers. I've got a feeling Game Golf Pro will be very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's only about $249 at many on line retailers. I've got a feeling Game Golf Pro will be very similar.

That proves one of my justifications for why anyone should buy GG Live over waiting for Pro. For $249 you could buy almost 3 full GameGolf Live sets including the tags and belt clip units. 

Even if GameGolf Pro wanted to undercut Arccos and GG Pro was listed at $200, you could still buy 2 of the GG Live sets and come in $30 cheaper than the GG Pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The automatic detection of shots is not that great in the original Arcos either, so most people still need to edit the shots. The 360 is supposed to be a lot better, but I've never used that one and the tags are throwaway after 2 to 5 years. It's only about $249 at many on line retailers. I've got a feeling Game Golf Pro will be very similar.

I think automatic detection in Arccos works decently, with a few exceptions:

- putts (other than the particular case I described before, I may have to add 2-3 tap in per round, but at least the app makes it easy to do it after finishing the hole)

- those instances where you hit a shot close to the previous one (like 5yards), it will detect the first one as a practice swing

For the rest of the shots I never had problems, unless the battery (in the original one) was close to die. I wish there was some sort of alert, or a way to check the status of the whole club set automatically before a round, instead of club by club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, klineka said:

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the tapping has now become part of my preshot routine, doesnt add any additional time. If I had the GameGolf Pro, I would be constantly wondering if the unit tagged my shots or not, especially on shots like tap in putts or unusual shots like a 3 wood chip from around the green which I used a few times last season.

I also like tagging. It was never disruptive to begin with and seamlessly became part of my routine. I'd hate to spend my round wondering if my shots registered or not.

I'm surprised they went this direction, but maybe their market research said the majority of people don't want to tag? All I know is I won't be buying one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks to everybody for their input (and correction to "Live" lol).  I just bought one on Amazon for $89.

Tapping might be a good new "trigger" for the swing and I will get used to it.  But one more dumb question, how does it differentiate between practice and real swings?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...