187 posts / 41672 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's been shot down (with good reasons) several times already.

Oh okay. I've never had to do it. I just write down the pin location # on my scorecard from the starter's podium at the beginning of the round. It gets me sufficiently close...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, jimnm said:

It could be that other players who use Game Golf rarely or never play your course. My home course is very busy. So the chances are high other players are also using Game Golf which usually means the pin locations are pretty much set up for me by the time I review/edit my round.

One solution could be to stand over the hole and tag one extra putt. That will effectively tag the pin location. Then during your review/edit of the round, just move the pin to your last putt and delete the last putt on each hole.

You are probably right... I only know one other guy that uses it at my course..  not a lot of technology users here where I live🙂

Happy Game Golf works for you and @klineka and @iacasas well, and agree post round editing doesn't take much time especially on a computer.. but is certainly more cumbersome on my mobile phone just due to the screen size.. 

Not tagging shots at all, having a useful GPS on the watch, and just pressing a button to mark the pin with little to no post round editing just works better for me personally.... Like I said, both ShotScope and GG give great useful data back to the player and just work a little differently...  Having used both, I'd recommend either, just depends on your personal preferences.

Edited by tonybrown32

Just now, jimnm said:

Oh okay. I've never had to do it. I just write down the pin location # on my scorecard from the starter's podium at the beginning of the round. It gets me sufficiently close...

Yeah. I don't think it's a hassle at all. Editing my entire round takes about five minutes.

1 minute ago, tonybrown32 said:

Happy Game Golf works for you and @klineka as well, and agree post round editing doesn't take much time especially on a computer.. but is certainly more cumbersome on my mobile phone just due to the screen size..  

I agree, editing on a phone is not good. At least in my experience. it just led to frustration. I also don't use the app on my phone while I'm playing. When I have, I usually ended up with a dead phone battery at the end of the round or the app crashed along the way. I have a Galaxy S8 plus. 

So at this point I just edit everything on my computer and it has worked out thus far.

3 minutes ago, jimnm said:

I agree, editing on a phone is not good. At least in my experience. it just led to frustration. I also don't use the app on my phone while I'm playing. When I have, I usually ended up with a dead phone battery at the end of the round or the app crashed along the way. I have a Galaxy S8 plus. 

So at this point I just edit everything on my computer and it has worked out thus far.

Exactly.. I had higher hopes for the editing on my phone... but just wasn't precise enough with a small screen, was just cumbersome... really quick to edit on the computer though.

I will say editing game golf rounds was a little more intuitive than with Shotscope.. so that part I miss.  Also miss the round sharing features/social aspect of Game Golf at times.. I have some family that live out of town that use it, so was nice to get the notificaitons and see their rounds and such.. Shotscope has added some social components as well recently, but winter here, so haven't gotten to try them out much, and also don't know anyone else with one yet anyway!  

Honestly at $99 right now Game Golf Live is a pretty good bargain for what you get.. and that tagging isn't horrible once it's part of your pre-shot routine.  I think they may have trouble with sales on new the GG Pro at a $300 price point with other options out there... time will tell once someone gets their hands on it and sees how well it works too..  

2 hours ago, iacas said:

3 meters. Larger if you're amongst tall trees or it's overcast, etc.

It should be noted that this 3 meter specification is what 95% of GPS measurements will be within. Some will be outside, but the majority of them will be closer than 3 meters and some by a significant amount.

That said, the pin location thing to me isn't something I mind doing when uploading my round. When I go through the round to adjust pin locations I also review how I played that round. What mistakes did I make? What weaknesses in my game were apparent that day? Did I have obvious strategy errors?

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

It should be noted that this 3 meter specification is what 95% of GPS measurements will be within. Some will be outside, but the majority of them will be closer than 3 meters and some by a significant amount.

Thanks. But at the same time… trees, your own body, etc. can block GPS signals and make them less accurate. There are some holes at Whispering Woods where the marker is often well off from where it's tagged because of trees.

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

That said, the pin location thing to me isn't something I mind doing when uploading my round. When I go through the round to adjust pin locations I also review how I played that round. What mistakes did I make? What weaknesses in my game were apparent that day? Did I have obvious strategy errors?

Yeah, I like editing my rounds. Annoyed that they won't put in the modest effort to bring the Transfer app to 10.14.

14 hours ago, Pretzel said:

this...

I've been using GG for a long time and I think 2 improvements would greatly help it. One being add a button to the device that lets you tag hole location, just press the button when you pick your ball out of the hole. Two, this is mainly for the app and live devices, allow you to zoom in more on a hole to make it easier to place the hole location in more of an exact place. What I have been doing when I have time is, while standing on the green zoom in and move the hole location to the correct place noting where the app says I'm standing at, this works most the time but again I don't always have time or the gps is way off and it shows me standing off the green. It could even be as simple as adding a button in the app to mark the hole location to where you are standing, since I'm sure adding it to the hardware would take much more.

Edited by Slowcelica

I don’t think I’d enjoy seeing people pulling out their phone just to tap a button near the hole. Especially since it still might be off by ten feet or so.

That sounds slow.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t think I’d enjoy seeing people pulling out their phone just to tap a button near the hole. Especially since it still might be off by ten feet or so.

That sounds slow.

Normally I'm standing around waiting for others to finish up, so while they are putting I'm marking the hole location on my phone. But you're right it would be slow if it was on the phone, I would actually like to see it on the belt unit, not in the app, just hit the button as you pick up your ball.

Edited by Slowcelica

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

That sounds slow.

I think that could be solved by adding a button to the belt clip device... press that button as you retrieve the ball from the hole.

1 hour ago, tonybrown32 said:

I think that could be solved by adding a button to the belt clip device... press that button as you retrieve the ball from the hole.

Ya that was my original suggestion, I would rather see this over the button on the phone, that would just be a way to retro-actively add the feature to already existing units. Ether that or add a new tag that is just for hole location.

Edited by Slowcelica

1 hour ago, tonybrown32 said:

17 minutes ago, Slowcelica said:

Ya that was my original suggestion, I would rather see this over the button on the phone, that would just be a way to retro-actively add the feature to already existing units. Ether that or add a new tag that is just for hole location.

My un-informed guess is that they'll go away from the belt units and promote the Pro version, so I wouldn't expect any upgraded belt units.

Tagging doesn't bother me, but if I could do without the device on my belt, that's a big plus for me.

I too got the discount email.  $229 plus a year of smart caddie.  I've used the smartcaddie before (they made me a beta tester b/c the regular app stopped working on my phone) and it doesn't really interest me.  $229 sounds like a lot just to lose the tagging. 

I've also already paid $350 combined for Game Golf and Game Golf Live, so I'm not crazy about laying out another $229.  Particularly since their track record is to aggressively cut prices after the initial release.  And apparently, I'd have to buy new batteries for the thing (or more likely, Game Golf Tour Pro) in 2 years.  

However, I also recognize that they probably had to make a tagless version.  I bet tagging is a major turn-off for people. 

10 minutes ago, Slowcelica said:

The pro still has a belt unit though.

Ah. My mistake.I see they've got a "medallion"--I thought they were just going to go the Arccos way.

7 minutes ago, Slowcelica said:

The pro still has a belt unit though.

I assume the pro unit can be in your pocket, rather than your belt. 

WIth the tagging verision, I figured they could just have an optional setting that, when turned on, treats your last tag with the putter as the hole location rather than a putt.  But ultimately, if you want accurate putting data, you need to edit most of your putts anyway.  So I dont know that it would help anything.