IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

Have enjoyed a much better approach game of late, most rounds have 3-5 GIR and 4-7 nGIR.  Still means a lot of up and down attempts for par, but each attempt is a great opportunity for chipping / pitching. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played with the same ball for three consecutive rounds. This means I have not lost a ball for three rounds. Should I retire the ball to the Golf Ball Hall of Fame?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Took a long needed tune-up lesson, for my driver,  with the pro at our club. We worked on turning my shoulders more on the back swing, and increasing my weight transfer overall, similar to Dr. Kwon reprogramming. I literally gained 30yds during that one leasson. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had been totally struggling with the game when I picked up the clubs for 2022. I was losing interest in golf for the first time in years. Just couldn’t seem to hit good shots. Playing average rounds high 70’s-low 80’s and never having those days where it felt like I could get any kind of streaks of good shots together. I put my clubs away for almost all summer. Played in early July and hadn’t touched the clubs until 9/20. Went to the range and just focused on the basics. Watch the club hit the ball. I had my best ball striking day in maybe 2 years. Guess all I needed was to step back and get away from the game for a while and then come back with low expectations and a clear head. I don’t think I’ve hit 10 fairways off the tee in over 2 years. 9 GIR after that many days away is not too bad. To have a feel for the greens with several up and downs and only needing 30 putts for the round was above my expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 9/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, DrvFrShow said:

I have played with the same ball for three consecutive rounds. This means I have not lost a ball for three rounds. Should I retire the ball to the Golf Ball Hall of Fame?

I had a ball once that made it to 100 holes. I immediately took it out of play, gave it a pat on a dimple and retired it. And provided it with a tiny 401k.

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I had a ball once that made it to 100 holes. I immediately took it out of play, gave it a pat on a dimple and retired it. And provided it with a tiny 401k.

Heck, after 18 holes I have to retire them from regulation courses, relegating them to par 3 courses. My wedges will scuff up any ball enough  in 18 holes I don't want to drive with them any more. 

Make that not a lost ball for 4 consecutive rounds. I'm on a roll.... or the ball's on a roll... never mind.

• Like 1

Julia

Spoiler

I haven't lately but once I used a ball until the lettering was wearing off from the ball washings, it was a 90 compression DDH Maxfli in balata. It was a good ball.

I probably knocked it out into the weeds somewhere eventually.  Otherwise I'd mount it on a plaque!

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

So I'm golf injured and trying really hard not to hit balls after just getting back into the game-at 56.  I had to take my net down and everything. Anyway, there's this neat little practice/training course in the big town next door. I started playing there, it's dirt cheap for "seniors".

I duffed it around there the first couple of outings. I went yesterday after a 1/2 day of work and had a great time.  It's a links-style barren course and the wind was up--WHOOT, something to make it interesting. But also the greens there are small, fast, and have some awesome breaks. They had two cut such that if you did not hit the hole going down hill, there was pretty much no way to keep it on the green. There aren't any cheap birdies out there despite the diminutive length of the 6-hole course.

Yesterday I got my first birdie there and also made a brilliant up and down to save par on the last hole.  The birdie was a "knock down" 3/4 swing shot with a seven iron.  It was a delight to behold, then dropped and rolled up to seven feet from the hole. It was no easy putt at that distance because of the break, but I rainbowed it in there.  Then I duffed around a few and got to the last and longest hole, the only one with a sand trap. It's still not a full seven iron shot, but I swatted it up there pin high, but pulled left into the fringe above the trap. RIGHT on the edge, if it weren't stiff bermuda there's no way the ball wouldn't have fallen into the trap.  But it didn't. So I had one foot in the trap and one up on the grassy knoll and the ball right there about knee high. Only 30-40 feet of green and maybe six feet of fringe between me and the hole. I had to pop and stop it -jest right-.

It's not the sort of shot I practice, but as soon as I hit it and saw it peak out, I knew it was a good one and it would be close to going in.  It landed about six feet short of the hole and rolled right by it on the high side, stopping three feet past. I made the putt, (and it nearly broke out on me).   

and those two holes made my day.  I needed a break from work and all. I never thought I'd like the tiny course so much but those greens will always keep it challenging. 

Edited by Wade Patton
added a phrase and also some parenthesis but not the same place.

3rd full 18 hole round in the books was a mixed bag. But I did have a few pretty nice drives and several pars. If I hadn't completely forgot how to play golf for 3 holes in a row it would have been a pretty nice round of golf. Most uplifting thing, got to play with 2 good guys from this site for the first time in a couple years! @mcanadiens @CarlSpackler

• Like 3

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

3rd full 18 hole round in the books was a mixed bag. But I did have a few pretty nice drives and several pars. If I hadn't completely forgot how to play golf for 3 holes in a row it would have been a pretty nice round of golf. Most uplifting thing, got to play with 2 good guys from this site for the first time in a couple years! @mcanadiens @CarlSpackler

It was great seeing you again. I still can’t believe you almost drove the green on 5 and 16!

- Shane

I made peace with my driver. I'm hitting it better than I've ever hit it... or rather maybe I've finally been fit into one that works for me. Or I finally figured out how to hit it. It's probably the latter, because I can't believe that changing the loft from 10.5 to 11.25 and adding 150 rpm spin has made that much difference in ball flight. I did this three rounds ago. I was hitting around 32% fairways with it. The last 3 rounds I've been in the upper 50s%. I don't slice anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

Spoiler

On 9/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Good to see you and @CarlSpackler again. 

Going to have to not go such a long time before our next round. 

I don't get to the course as often as I'd like, but I knock some around in the backyard almost daily, just short stuff. One of my targets is a shortened 5-gallon bucket. Today, trying a better chip-shot, I put four consecutive shots into the bucket (it's leaned over).  And that was the last of the four that chipped into the bucket to finish the session.  My short game is shaping up for sure. Golf has become my new unwind from work.

• 3 weeks later...

I played a difficult course Saturday and was upset with my ending score of 87.  Hooked 10 tee balls and hit 6 approach shots heavy.  I was a little frustrated.

Upon reflection, I should have focused on the good things.

I made 4 birdies, my most in a round this year, and all four were putts from 3’.  Two were sand wedges from 80 and 84 yards, while the other two from 179 and 148.  In addition, I birdied 3 of the last 4 holes.  After chunking an approach I hit my next wedge to a foot to salvage a bogey after a hooked tee ball into the water. Need to reduce my mistakes, but I hope these shots are a harbinger of future improvement.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Clemsonfan said:

I made 4 birdies, 

Four birdies is great, imagine the potential!  Way to go.

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

9 hours ago, mohearn said:

Four birdies is great, imagine the potential!  Way to go.

Thanks for the kind words!  That is the way I should have thought about my round upon completion!

Haven't been able to play for 3 weeks. Got out there today. Had more birdie putts and enough good shots to make me want to do it again.  This one about 4'.  Then I missed by an inch--but that's golf. Even pro's miss 4-footers now and then, at least I'm not losing money when I miss 'em.

311420415_584957350063739_4330064424762159798_n.jpg

311469396_10224548669836522_3535167767254710814_n.jpg