IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

On 5/27/2019 at 7:40 AM, PipePro said:

Playing in the rain and the wind is hard for anyone, but when you are senior just the walking from the cart path to your ball is sheer torture. I don't know how many have played Oglebay, but my God walking to the elevated greens in dry conditions is tough.

My home course is a smaller version of Oglebay and this morning I awoke to a tortured body. There isn't a joint in my body that doesn't ache. WAH!! Please no cheese with my whine.

Still all in all shot 78 so I'm ok with that.

I live in NE Ohio and am not that far from Oglebay. I've heard stories about the course. Like you have to be a mountain goat to play it. Even if you're riding in a cart! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple big milestones for my game today. Starting to really put time into my swing and came away with my first sub-40 and first sub-90 rounds today. Nearly broke 80 as well after going 43-38. Nice to see work paying off.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Played 18 today at a course I've only played twice before.  My outing played from the tips, and I still hit 3 GIR, 8 near-GIR, and hit another 3 greens with a full swing motion even though it wasn't for GIR.  So that's encouraging! 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

my game is in the tank.   Swing just feels wonky and uncoordinated.    Everything is a struggle.   Shot after shot is fat, fighting a weak fade off the tee.     Trying to fix it with about 5 swing thoughts on every shot - its just a slump (hopefully I can dig my way out of it eventually).    So, my most uplifting thought of late is I got to play an enjoyable round with my wife recently ... we tore up the score card after about the fifth hole and had a great day after that.

Edited by inthehole
  • Like 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 2 weeks later...

Bought and read LSW-really trying to pick that safer shot zone (For me). Its helping reduce those blow up holes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First post from a newbie..... i have been playing for 9 months and after finally managing to break 100 at the beginning of the year, I have managed to be in and around that score for the last few months. However, yesterday everything seemed to click into place and I went round in 82 (+14)beating my previous best by 5 shots! Can’t believe it and good to see the practice paying off ..

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Monkeytennis said:

First post from a newbie..... i have been playing for 9 months and after finally managing to break 100 at the beginning of the year, I have managed to be in and around that score for the last few months. However, yesterday everything seemed to click into place and I went round in 82 (+14)beating my previous best by 5 shots! Can’t believe it and good to see the practice paying off ..

Par 68 course?  Which one is that?

On 7/4/2019 at 10:22 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Par 68 course?  Which one is that?

It was at the mighty Poult Wood in Tonbridge, Kent. Our local course. However, today wasn’t quite so good but knowing how well I can play on it gives me a more positive feeling going forward. Next challenge break 80 there!!

I took my first lesson in about 23 years, and have seen an immediate improvement in my ball-striking.  Also, I was able to really stay in the moment and play each shot when I played recently.

• Like 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

WOW.....I guess. What a past week of golf I managed to put in. Six days, and 18 holes a day. 108 holes, on our two local courses. 

I am feeling it a little today, and know it's time to give my body's golf swing mechanisms a break. Except for my daily practices, I don't see myself playing for a score for 2, or 3 more days. 

Didn't start last week out to play 6 straight days. Definately not a 6th day. It just sort of happened, when one thing led to another. 

What made it easy was for the first 5 days, I was able to split the 18 hole rounds into two 9 hole rounds for the day. Our courses have a program, where they allow their local players to take an extended breather between the 9 holes. The course charges everyone the same fee for 9 or 18 holes. The only requirement for split play is the golfer must use a cart. 

The idea behind the "Split Nines" program is to help golfers with the higher triple digit summer heat we are enjoying. That, and the monsoon thunder boomies that are beginning to show up. Giving golfers an extended break between 9s keeps them cooler, and is less stressful for one's game. 

Myself, I was walking off the course between 9 am-10 am. I would return around 4, or 5 pm, finishing up the 2nd nine holes around 5:30-6:30 pm.

My play was very consistent the first 5 days, as I averaged an 81 score. Lots of pars, and bogey 1s.  My tee to green game was consistently well played, and I putted quite well too. My target score when playing is 80.

The 6th round was an unplanned, spur of the moment type deal. A good friend brutally drug me off the short game practice area by twisting my arm severely. Probably why my first 9 holes was the worst 9 of the week. Finally had a 6, twice.  I recovered well enough on the 2nd nine get a free lunch out of him. Well, if you can call a buffet a lunch. 

All my rounds were played with strangers, and/or friends. All rounds involved a cart to ride in. 

I don't see this 5 or 6 rounds, in a row thing, in my near future. Maybe 2 or 3 rounds. You never know though.

This past week of golf was personally fun for me. It wa nice to know I still have some hidden stamina for the game. Even though these were split rounds, it was still a lot of golf played. I view keeping my swing together for 108 holes a nice, personal accomplishment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

It's a little old but I'm still riding the wave... about 5-6 weeks ago, I shot 43 over nine holes. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

On my quest to break 90. 3 weekends ago I shot 111. Last weekend I broke 100 for the first time with a 98. Today I managed to best that with a 92. Took a 4i (180ish yards) off every par 4 and par 5 tee except one 3w. Regretted that 3 wood shot but still made a par that hole. Quite a short 18 hole course at just under 5000 yards. 6 pars, 4 bogeys, 7 doubles and 1 triple. My distances were really good but my putting wasnt up to my standard. Going out tomorrow to play a 6000 yard course. Hopefully my putting will pick up and make up for my lack of distance off the tee.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

This might not fulfill the OP's request to brag about something good you've done and such, but it's meant a lot to me.

Over the past couple years, I've had carpel tunnel surgery and bone spurs removed from my shoulders. Being diabetic and older, recovery was very slow. Add a knee injury to that and I wound up taking 16 months away from golf.

Once I started playing again 6 months ago, I was able to hit it better than I'd anticipated, but obviously not well enough to score as well as I had before all my issues.

I came to appreciate simply coming home with the memory of a few good shots and maybe a good joke from my playing partners. (A couple of them, based on their own golf games, are definitely jokes personified) My competitive fire was pretty much out, but unlike the rest of my life, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I rather liked not keeping score. It seemed to make it easier to forget the bad shots and just remember the good ones.

I still want to get my game back and hope to shoot my age someday, but for the moment, I'm thrilled and thankful just to be playing this game again. I've played golf for 65 years and I have no intention of giving up yet. With this new mindset, I believe I'll enjoy golf forever.

• Like 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been one to not let anything bother me when golfing. Bad/good shots, slower/ faster players, weather, noises, and anything else you might think of. i just hit the ball. Go find it, and hit it again. 

Well, today I was happily taken out of my golfing wheel house. Had a good round going. I was heeding my caddie's advice. Had a 4 shot lead on the rest of group. The few bucks that were at stake, were almost in my pocket. Things were just going good. 

My phone starts vibrating, which I ignored at first. After the third call, I answered. It was my Granddaughter. She wanted to know when we would be returning home. I told her I was not sure, and asked why. She told me we had to go shopping for a set of golf clubs. (??????) Huh? She then told me she joined her (freshman) highschool golf team.

First day of school, and she's on  the golf team. This was a total surprise for me to hear. A total shocker

Since I was on a golf course myself, we cut our phone call short, to be continued in about 6 holes. 

For the next 6 holes my game went to crap. It dropped so bad, my caddy even noticed my play deteriorating. He finally asked "bad news?" I explained what was going on, and that I was one happy Grandpa. He smiled, patted me on the back, and said lets finish this. 

As it turned out, on the last green, my bag man gave me a good read, which helped preserve a one stroke win for us. 

As for my Granddaughter, she had been doing tryouts, on the sly, with a set of my previously owned clubs. Her parents knew about it, but she wanted to wait and see if she made the team before telling me. Today after school, there was a golf meeting, and she was told she was one of 3 freshman girls on their team. 

Although I had introduced all 6 of our Grandkids to golf, none really showed much interest to continue on with the game. Like I said, this was a shocker. Even Grandma was cought by surprise.

Fortunately, there is no rush to get home to go club shopping. Their practices don't start for a while, and their league play a month or so after that.

She told me she needs everything but a putter. That, she likes the putter she is using. This was funny, because a while back she told me "that for a $300 putter, this thing does not make many putts". 

To top it off, last month she tried out, and won a spot with the freshman cheerleading squad. She will have a full plate, with classes, and sports. 

Yeah, I am a happy Grandpa.

• Like 3

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

15 minutes ago, Patch said:

I have always been one to not let anything bother me when golfing. Bad/good shots, slower/ faster players, weather, noises, and anything else you might think of. i just hit the ball. Go find it, and hit it again. 

Well, today I was happily taken out of my golfing wheel house. Had a good round going. I was heeding my caddie's advice. Had a 4 shot lead on the rest of group. The few bucks that were at stake, were almost in my pocket. Things were just going good. 

My phone starts vibrating, which I ignored at first. After the third call, I answered. It was my Granddaughter. She wanted to know when we would be returning home. I told her I was not sure, and asked why. She told me we had to go shopping for a set of golf clubs. (??????) Huh? She then told me she joined her (freshman) highschool golf team.

First day of school, and she's on  the golf team. This was a total surprise for me to hear. A total shocker

Since I was on a golf course myself, we cut our phone call short, to be continued in about 6 holes. 

For the next 6 holes my game went to crap. It dropped so bad, my caddy even noticed my play deteriorating. He finally asked "bad news?" I explained what was going on, and that I was one happy Grandpa. He smiled, patted me on the back, and said lets finish this. 

As it turned out, on the last green, my bag man gave me a good read, which helped preserve a one stroke win for us. 

As for my Granddaughter, she had been doing tryouts, on the sly, with a set of my previously owned clubs. Her parents knew about it, but she wanted to wait and see if she made the team before telling me. Today after school, there was a golf meeting, and she was told she was one of 3 freshman girls on their team. 

Although I had introduced all 6 of our Grandkids to golf, none really showed much interest to continue on with the game. Like I said, this was a shocker. Even Grandma was cought by surprise.

Fortunately, there is no rush to get home to go club shopping. Their practices don't start for a while, and their league play a month or so after that.

She told me she needs everything but a putter. That, she likes the putter she is using. This was funny, because a while back she told me "that for a $300 putter, this thing does not make many putts". 

To top it off, last month she tried out, and won a spot with the freshman cheerleading squad. She will have a full plate, with classes, and sports. 

Patch... that is a beautiful story. Worth losing 3 holes. You have a wonderful Granddaughter there. Tears in my eyes.  Heartwrenching that it is you that she relies upon when it comes to golf. 

Where were you playing with a caddie?  Bandon?  Who was your caddie... he might have been mine, as well?

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Back in the late 1970s, when i lived in Jamaica, my game was pretty close to its best. Good as it could be, I still admit there was a day I really caught lightning in a bottle when I shot 66, (6 under), at Caymanas Golf Club near Spanishtown, Jamaica. It was the amateur course record and stood for nearly 35 years. During the round, I had a double eagle on the par 5 second hole. I also 3 putted the 18th hole for my only bogey.

The next day, I shot 82...

During college at the University of Louisville, I won the 1970 intramural golf championship for my fraternity.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:44 PM, Patch said:

Oh man... You really don't want to get us old guys started, do you? Suffice it to say, my older granddaughter's room looks like a trophy case from all her horseback riding events she's been in.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

I recently scored my two best rounds of the year back to back in totally different ways. The first one, I couldn't hit a fairway to save my life and was scrambling all day long because my driver was in the shitter, short and errant. But my irons were on enough to make 5 pars and a birdie (because of one of the only good drives I hit all day) and nothing more than a bogey, even though my birdie stroke on most holes was a wedge from 50-100 yards. Finished with an 11 over 83. I played the par 5s in 4 over &!*%!.

Next round, the following weekend, I fixed my driver, so much so that I hit 11 of 14 fairways, with the fairways missed being just off and not in trouble, long and straight. One of my playing partners remarked, "your tee shots have an extra lift today.". Anyway, I kept spraying my iron approaches and couldn't get close to the hole for good birdie looks or missed the green entirely. I had 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double for 10 over 82. Ironically, I was consistent with my previous round in one respect: my crappy play of the par 5s, this time coming in at 3 over on them.

Could have had broke 80 twice if I just played the par 5s in even. Keep in mind, in the 36 hole layout I play, only 2 of the 8 par 5s are realistically reachable in two, mainly because they are straight, (but both are still over 510). 3 others are crazy doglegs and 2 are double doglegs and the 6th requires a 2nd shot carry of 230 over water. But, regardless, it's in my head.

Edited by PeaceFrogg
  • Thumbs Up 1