Jump to content
iacas

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

263 posts / 54250 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

After 3 years of almost never playing the driver and not even having a 3 wood (thought a long time that my 3 hybrid is my 3 wood 😃)  I decided that buying a different driver and 3 wood with stiff shafts would be the answer. So the last 5 rounds I purposely hit my driver on every hole that was longer than my possible drive. 
 

And man it is fun. For the first time in my life I’m near the green with my first shot on some shorter par 4s, I can actually try to get on a par 5 in two (still hasn’t happened but it’s bound to) and I have cut the corner over the trees several times now. 
 

Par 4 holes that used to be 4 iron 4 iron for me are now (when it works) driver - 7 iron or shorter. And that works wonders. And par 4s that were 4 iron - 7 iron are now driver - wedge. It’s much easier hitting greens with wedges than mid irons...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really respect, and appreciate folks who think out the box. They are leaders. Not followers. 

I was at the d-range this morning. (Avi Resort/Mojave GC/Laughlin, NV). I met a guy about my age, who trollied his bag of clubs when ever possible. Much like I do. 

Our distances, and ball flights were even quite similar also. 

He had a Clicgear trolley, but there was an (after market?) 4th wheel attached to it. It was a surveyor's wheel, used for measuring distances. 

He had a quick connect/disconnect mounted on the main post of his Clicgear, which he made from scratch. The extra measuring wheel he said he picked up at yard sale for a few dollars. 

Yes it measured distances in feet, but with a few quick brain calculations, he could convert those feet into yards quite easily. Plus he said it was quicker than grabbing, and punching buttons on his gps unit. He just reads the number, computes it, and pushes "reset" as needed. 

The irony of this is I tried this years ago, but lost interest, and didnt carry on with it. I think someone came out and marketed a meter that would just click on an existing trolley wheel. 

After looking at his handy work, it dawn on both of us that the extra wheel was almost the same diameter as the existing trolley wheels. A few thoughts were shared. A quick, minor drill, and weld job would allow the measuring wheel to be mounted on the existing axle/hub.

As we left the d-range we agreed to play 18 holes Monday. I will check on his handy work again at that time.

Btw, If in the Laughlin area, I highly recommed this golf course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As the New England golf season comes to a close I couldn’t be happier with the way I played.  My scores, swing and overall game were better than ever.  What really pleased me was the fact that I KNEW what was working and it really all went back to ADDRESS position.  Get that correct and no other compensations were needed.  Bad address positions led to compensations that were just band aids.  
 

I have to give credit to iacas and a few others here who pointed out my lack of knee flex with my irons when I posted my swing.  Again, an address position corrected.

On the equipment side, I made a driver change from my M2 to a G400max based on accuracy over distance.  I didn’t care if I gave up 5-10 yards because the Ping was so accurate I would laugh when I hit it.  I ended up gaining distance because I could swing harder and it would still go straight.  The M2 was great but the Ping is from another planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

 What really pleased me was the fact that I KNEW what was working and it really all went back to ADDRESS position.  Get that correct and no other compensations were needed.  Bad address positions led to compensations that were just band aids.  

YES...Working on that myself...Ball striking and flight now good...HCP will fall. Very uplifting. Best, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Patch, interesting story but unless I am too dense to follow, this contraption only works for measuring past yardage (distance traveled by the ball from the previous location), not future yardage as in what is left to the hole, right?  And even then, it only works if you can go to the ball from the shot position in a straight-ish line: good luck if you have to drive over water for example! :beer:

Anyway, it's fun to see that level of passion, when one can just pick up a free app for their phone and have a decent GPS for free nowadays.  Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

And even then, it only works if you can go to the ball from the shot position in a straight-ish line: good luck if you have to drive over water for example! :beer:

 

One must practice everything in golf.  Including walking on water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La Crosse, Kansas. (Sand Greens) Local Course.
#7th hole. Par 4. Drove the green and 1 putted for an Eagle. 
Senior tees made the hole 280 yards. Put was maybe 5’.

 

Retired Old Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

La Crosse, Kansas. (Sand Greens) Local Course.
#7th hole. Par 4. Drove the green and 1 putted for an Eagle. 
Senior tees made the hole 280 yards. Put was maybe 5’.

 

Retired Old Man

Congrats! I was interested in your post about Hays, Kansas. Many years ago my buddy moved from NE Ohio to the Denver area. He came home for the holidays to visit, buy a car his Mom had for sale, and haul more of his stuff out there. He asked if I wanted to accompany him to spell him at the wheel now and then. The week would be on him, and all I would have to buy is one way airfare home. I asked at work and got permission, so let's go! 

We spent the first night at his friend's place in St. Louis while a blizzard was rolling through the Great Plains. We continued our travels the next morning listening to the CB he had installed, tuned to the trucker's channel to monitor road conditions. We kept lucking out as they would open sections of the Interstate just in front of us. Then we hear a trucker say, "I don't know boys. We not get past Hays."

My buddy just went off! NO! NO! NO! NOT STUCK IN HAYS, KANSAS AGAIN!!! Apparently that had happened to him before, and was not a pleasant experience. Probably had to spend the night in a truck stop! But I figure that if Hays has golf, how bad could it be?

I'll say this. I never saw such vast expanses of absolutely nothing as in that drive across Kansas! You could drive for a half hour and not see a single building or tree! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Congrats! I was interested in your post about Hays, Kansas. Many years ago my buddy moved from NE Ohio to the Denver area. He came home for the holidays to visit, buy a car his Mom had for sale, and haul more of his stuff out there. He asked if I wanted to accompany him to spell him at the wheel now and then. The week would be on him, and all I would have to buy is one way airfare home. I asked at work and got permission, so let's go! 

We spent the first night at his friend's place in St. Louis while a blizzard was rolling through the Great Plains. We continued our travels the next morning listening to the CB he had installed, tuned to the trucker's channel to monitor road conditions. We kept lucking out as they would open sections of the Interstate just in front of us. Then we hear a trucker say, "I don't know boys. We not get past Hays."

My buddy just went off! NO! NO! NO! NOT STUCK IN HAYS, KANSAS AGAIN!!! Apparently that had happened to him before, and was not a pleasant experience. Probably had to spend the night in a truck stop! But I figure that if Hays has golf, how bad could it be?

I'll say this. I never saw such vast expanses of absolutely nothing as in that drive across Kansas! You could drive for a half hour and not see a single building or tree! 

Good story Buckeye.  Such are the things a good, well-lived life are made of.  I think I stayed in a motel once in Hays... on the way to Colorado.  All my earthly belongings in the trunk of my car... including clubs.  Did not play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played on Monday, first sunny day after a weekend of rain. Perfect weather, 65-70 degrees. I recently cleaned up a mold problem at my house that might have been affecting me for the last two years. This was the first pain free round in a long time, and I actually felt stronger physically. Mold is bad for you.

Also, this was my first time ever playing Cart Path Only. It was funny searching for our balls in the fairway, sometimes hidden under a leaf, or camouflaged with mud or goose poop. Lucky for me, most of my tee shots landed near the cart path. I hit many solid shots that made me happy, but struggled with putting on inconsistent greens as they started to dry. We got paired with 2 life long friends from the east coast (we're 2 life long friends from the west coast) that made for a very fun day overall. Even ate a hot dog at the turn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...