Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

This is an UPlifting thread ;-)

It was a great throw. :-)

Ok. I won league champ in 2009.

I played an outing once and met the only 2 time Heisman Trophy winner, Archie Griffin from THE Ohio State University.

I broke 100 at Oakland Hills. 

- Shane

6 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It was a great throw. :-)

Ok. I won league champ in 2009.

I played an outing once and met the only 2 time Heisman Trophy winner, Archie Griffin from THE Ohio State University.

I broke 100 at Oakland Hills. 

Were you “uplifting it” when you threw it? :-P

I also won my only league championship in 2009!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

35 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Were you “uplifting it” when you threw it? :-P

I also won my only league championship in 2009!

I snapped it over my knee first. Getting rid of that club did great things for my game. It was my first (and last) attempt at club making. 

- Shane

Our team won a 9 Hole Scramble today -- we shot 10 under par!!  With an eagle on one of the two par 5s.   This is the second time we have won this in the last month.   It is a handicapped scramble, so our team has to add 1.12 strokes to our gross score.   So our actual score of 27.12 won over the second place team which was 27.52.   We are the only team in a group of 10 that has to add strokes to our score.  AND one of the guys on our team was closest to the hole on the par 3 Hole #4.  I was one foot outside of the closest to the hole on the par 3 Second Hole.  So it was a good ball-striking and putting day.   

To celebrate I headed to the putting green for an hour and then the range for two hours!!  Got to prepare for next week.  :-)

Today I went to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor for demo day.    I tried the new Ping G700, the Ping G400, Titleist AP1 and finally the Cobra F8 single length.    With each club they only allowed about 12 balls but it did give me a feel for each club.    I hit a 5 iron in each.   I really enjoyed the G700 and to my surprise I really like the Cobra single length clubs.   This will give me an idea to help further my research into new clubs.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The past year, my swing speed and contact improved for everything below my driver. Difference of 2 irons now for the same distances. (Started using footspray last year a lot) I would say I practise better.

Got over the stubborness and finally took a lesson to figure out my 40 yard straight pull with the driver that wasnt appearing with the other clubs.

Got fitted for a driver too which has helped at the golfdome as well. (Bought it in November so only simulator and dome hits with it)

I personally like that GG says my HI standing comes mostly from my full swing, and that Im almost losing strokes in places that can come easier like putting. 

hit a 1 bounce chip-in for birdie last time i was out. after a great drive and a totally botched approach. felt good to get one back ;)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Here's something positive I worked out, with advice from @1badbadger.

I had been trying to figure out how to bring a 3 hybrid into my bag, and I finally have something that should work.

I had a FlyZ 3-4H which I played at 22*, or 4H loft. Flex is senior, with a 73-gram shaft.

I was planning to get a 2-3H to play at 19* or 3H; but the popular FlyZ Hs are really hard to find any more, esp. 2-3H in Senior flex. A possibility was getting a second 3-4H, extending the shaft and lofting it down to 19*. After 1bb told me the ins and outs of this, I decided a different track.

fly-z-hybrid-hero-blu.jpgStumbled across a 4-5H, and decided to get it and loft it to 22*. I then pushed the 3-4H down to 19*. Early results are really encouraging.

At 22*, the distance difference between the 3-4H and 4-5H is minimal. And the 4-5H feels better. Also, the 19* 3-4H also works well. I think part of the benefit is 3-4H and 4-5H give me shafts that are 3/4" shorter than with the 2-3H plan - better control. And, no need to saw off the shafts.

Next question: Do I need both a 3H and a 7W? Some distance overlap, but 3H launches lower and 7W launches higher. Benefits for both, depending on shot.

I'll worry about this after I finish my income tax and recycle stuff from the family "whatever" room.  

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It has been a while since I have been active on this or any site.  Like the topic/idea and hope to post something positive once our season begins. @dennyjones thanks for eliminating the cat head "wobbling" avatar!!

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

52 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

@dennyjones thanks for eliminating the cat head "wobbling" avatar!!

Agreed! 

Something positive about my current game.....

:hmm:

probably the fact that in the past year I've broken 80 twice and have gone from typically scoring 4-5 pars/round to 7-8 ...had 10 a few days ago.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Well, I've played so little golf in recent years, I'll have to really go back in time.

Back when I was 18, and most of us still played with persimmon drivers, I played the greatest hole of my life.

We were on the last hole of a 54 hole fourball tournament, and my partner and I were two shots down to the best duo in the area.  The last hole was a 550 yard par 5, playing a little into the wind. I hit a decent drive, leaving myself about 265 to the green with a slight uphill lie.  I hit driver off the deck to about 25 feet right of the hole, and drained the putt for eagle.  Unfortunately, my nemesis rolled in a downhill 15 foot curler for birdie to nip us by a shot.  Well, it still felt good being able to hit those shots under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Viewing golf through a new set of eyes.  Not mine.  My wife's eyes.  This will be her 8th or 9th season playing.  We leave for FL this weekend and have 3 rounds planned and scheduled so far.  Might play more.

Whenever we get stuck on a tee box, she doesn't stress over the group in front of us looking for balls, rolling 2nd shots and not getting out of range fast enough.  We park in the shade to wait.  She looks around and verbally talks up the sheer beauty of her surroundings and how wonderful it is to be outside on a beautiful day.

Wife totally enjoys the game.  Rarely gets rattled on bad shots always keeping the mindset of 'the next one will be better.'  She doesn't look at it as, 'crap, I'm playing for a bogey or a double on this hole.'  She truly enjoys the journey from tee to green--wherever it might take her!

She completely 'gets' that this is a hard game and neither one of us will ever be a single-digit handicapper.  We just don't practice and play enough to see any appreciable scoring improvement.  And her only disappointment is that the round is over and we're done playing.  Granted, sometimes her round ends after 16 holes and she's reached her limit, but she'll still walk to the green to watch me putt out because that's what she sees on TV golf.

Her attitude toward golf has really lowered the stress meter for me.  She's a much better cart-mate than most of my guy friends.  I pay for golf, she pays for beers and dinner after the round.  Any of you guys buddies treat you that well? :beer:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• 2 weeks later...

I actually can handle blades very well for someone who had some swing issues before lessons. My swing probably still has issues, but the swing I have now is more repeatable and more consistent and I am happy about it. :-)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm starting a pretty significant series of changes to my swing. Play ok, but tired of hitting marginal-quality shots.  Pic below is my current situation.

I have 4 things I need to address:

• Move ball back to where it should be (pic is an 8-iron, it gets ridiculous w/longer sticks)
  • Swing more around and less "under/inside"
  • Weaken grip to accommodate bullet point 2 above
  • Set up more on right side/stop overdoing "covering" the ball, stop sliding

All are very small adjustments, but it's time to man up and make them if I want to hit the shots I remember hitting in the better days.

The hard part is sticking with it when the results get worse before they get better.

Capture_zpstjgv6ypp.jpg

• Administrator

My recommendation is that you start a Member Swing topic, @3jacker.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Two years ago my short game was a mess; chunks and bladed shots. I had no confidence at all. I decided I needed to do something about it. I worked on it every spare moment I had. I did not take a lesson, though I spoke with a couple pros. We just couldn't work out our schedules. I watched videos, other golfers who were good at it, read articles and practiced, practiced, practiced. Some things didn't work for me. Some did. By last August I began to feel some confidence (yes, it took that long). Now, when looking at a 20 yard pitch or a ten yard chip I feel pretty good about my chances. Same goes for bunker play. I worked on that for months. Spending as much time as I could several days a week trying different things. It was a lot of work. You can take a lesson but you still have to put in the time. I'm a 9 handicap but I do not fear bunker play anymore. In fact, today I got up and down to save par on the 18th hole with a fairly difficult bunker shot (ball above my feet to a rather steep, elevated green). That felt good.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, iacas said:

Post about when you're pumped up about something, yourself, so others can soak in your joy.

Today I went to the golf range. I have not held a club in 6 months due to injuries to knee, both hands and both rotator cuffs. I hit wedges. The first was a stinker, but the second was so pure, high and spinning. I had to sit down and re-live it. Everything felt a little strange but nothing hurt. In my heart I KNOW I will be back with my weekend duffer buddies very soon. WHAT A BLESSING FOR THIS OLD GUY! I hope each and every one of us encounters the joy of golf like that. Best regards to all, -Marv

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9