IGNORED

Football category dumbfounds Jeopardy contestants

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I'm a huge Jeopardy fan and occasionally they get categories that the contestants whiff on. But in this case, they didn't even try. Even someone with decent generally knowledge should have gotten at least one. I got all five as did my wife.

Yeah, but as a Pats fan, you probably cheated.

;-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

Wait a minute ... is this about football or the golf pace-of-play thread? :-D

Make football great again! 

At least football has a play clock so something has to happen every 40 seconds. JB Holmes would be in trouble last Sunday would have cost him like 30 yards in penalties!

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, but as a Pats fan, you probably cheated.

;-)

:-Pnah. I’m just wicked good at Jeopardy!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Well, that song I knew by melody but never by title, I learned that too today.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In fairness, while the questions seemed really easy to anyone with a passing interest in football, they did require at least a baseline understanding of game. 

The only question I'm really surprised that no one got was the Tom Landry question. I see Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi as iconic figures that transcend into the "general knowledge & pop culture arena." The fact that none of them had any idea who Landry was is pretty surprising. 

That was funny.  I'm actually surprised nobody got the first one.  Even if they've never seen football, that was one of those Jeopardy questions where you could tell that the answer wasn't really about football but about the context of the question and how it was written.  I've been able to "guess" the answers to a lot of Jeopardy questions based on context similarly.

Also, this reminded me of an old SNL skit (Carvey/Myers/Hartman days) where they had a fake game show with George Will (Carvey) asking 3 ballplayers (one was Pete Rose, played by Hartman) questions about baseball.  None of them could answer any of the questions because they were next level nerdy questions, and finally they just all started taunting Will into trying to throw a ball.  I wish I could find it on youtube.

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I don't watch football much anymore I don't think they were that easy. The thing I don't get is game is on NBC and Jeopardy is on ABC.

FWIW, Jeopardy is syndicated - it's not on the same network everywhere. It's on ABC where I live but CBS where @boogielicious lives. And it debuted on NBC.

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That was funny.  I'm actually surprised nobody got the first one.  Even if they've never seen football, that was one of those Jeopardy questions where you could tell that the answer wasn't really about football but about the context of the question and how it was written.  I've been able to "guess" the answers to a lot of Jeopardy questions based on context similarly.

Also, this reminded me of an old SNL skit (Carvey/Myers/Hartman days) where they had a fake game show with George Will (Carvey) asking 3 ballplayers (one was Pete Rose, played by Hartman) questions about baseball.  None of them could answer any of the questions because they were next level nerdy questions, and finally they just all started taunting Will into trying to throw a ball.  I wish I could find it on youtube.

Answer: Yes, I would eat the moon if it were made of ribs. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

15 minutes ago, jamo said:

FWIW, Jeopardy is syndicated - it's not on the same network everywhere. It's on ABC where I live but CBS where @boogielicious lives. And it debuted on NBC.

I watch it on CBS-All Access

• Informative 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hell! Even Sheldon Cooper knows football! But then, he did grow up in Texas.

It might surprise some to know that it is estimated that about 35% of the population of the US could be considered a "sports fan". One could then guess that the percentage of NFL fans might be even less.

I heard that number years ago by a local radio sports screamer, who said that his station manager told him that if he wanted to broaden his audience, he'd have to widen his subject matter. He likes to say that if the Neilsen Survey tells you that 30 million people in the US watched the Super Bowl, that means that at least 300 million did not!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Ha ha, skit was funny. THROW THE BALL!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/george-f-wills-sports-machine/n9910?snl=1

13 hours ago, jamo said:

Ah, I see. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

29 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ha ha, skit was funny. THROW THE BALL!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/george-f-wills-sports-machine/n9910?snl=1

Ah, I see. Thanks! 

Lmao, “why was it not unlike?”

(My memory is fading -Pete Rose was not in that skit)

14 hours ago, jamo said:

Answer: Yes, I would eat the moon if it were made of ribs.

Hey!!! What's your favorite planet? Mine's the sun! It's like the king of planets!

Jon

14 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I watch it on CBS-All Access

Wait wat? I'm learning all sorts of things from this thread.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Change the category to opera, or ballet, or popular entertainers, and I'd fare no better.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 1 month later...

I don't know man.  Football just isn't the "jam" for some people.  You ask me some soccer questions and I won't get many correct.

Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!