IGNORED

Texas Winter Weather Not What I Expected

Ron
Note: This thread is 2260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with my buddies in 40 degrees weather. I also use a cart cover and a heater when it's cold. The winter rates are lower and less golfers on the course.

It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.”. Ram Dass

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

That's not the So. Calif. I live at. It's pretty much room temperature all year.

SD ave temp.JPG

Right now:

Screenshot_20180205-145025.png

B93E9BAE-743B-4BEC-A6E3-0FF374D459B4.thumb.png.5af6db33532da1d853391cb7c4ac2252.png

Gets up in the mid 80s in early February in the valley and up here in the LA basin where 70% or more of the people in So. Cal. live...

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I realize the idea of wanting to be near family and playing golf every day.   That would be an idea retirement.   But..the computer age and research should have helped with your decision to move.    My wife and I are approaching the idea of moving to a warmer climate when she retires but we plan to visit each place a couple times during the season changes.    

Paging @Asheville  are you playing year round?

Not everyone can afford to live near San Diego but we can dream.    The cost of living is more than double what we have in the midwest.    I can play a lot of golf for the difference.  :whistle:

I think you misunderstood my initial post.  It was always my intention to relocate to Texas.  The whole idea was to be closer to family.  Texas is where my oldest son and 2 of my Grand-children live.  It is also halfway between where my other two sons and 2 more Grand-children live.  I never considered moving anywhere else.  The only point I was trying to make was that I had thought it was warmer in this part of Texas in the winter months than it is, and that I could play golf year round.  Perhaps there are those who find the winter weather here warm enough to play golf, but I don't.  That said, the weather in DFW, Mid-Cities, Texas overall is better for me than the weather in Long Island, NY.  I hate Snow, Ice, excessive humidity in summer, and the absence of a spring season.   I'll be fine.

• Like 1

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

The weather/temperature in the upper south, I live in north central Alabama, varies from year to year. Last year we played all year except for a few scattered days when it was too cold or wet. This year  we have had a few scattered day when we could play. Last year we had one 2 inch snow, this year we have had 3 snows: 12 inches, 2 inches and 1 inch. If you want year round golf move to south FL south of Tampa. 

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Texas wants you anyway.

Now there's some toe tapping music! Always love hearing some good Texas Swing!

It can surprise some people just how cold it can get in Texas during Winter. But that can happen anywhere in the deep South depending on how things go further North.

Ron, I'm in DFW.....even in the winter, the weather usually supports golf at least 3 days a week, if not more......we played yesterday/Sunday, at 1pm it was 60 degrees, sunny, and beautiful.....a little windy but we had a blast., although it was a little chilly coming in the last few holes when the northern starting coming in....and we played for $20 with cart.

I work 50-60 hours a week and can only play on Sundays.....and I almost always get to play at least twice a month in the winter.

Stay strong.....when March gets here, you can play almost every day all the way through November.

4 minutes ago, Par Fore said:

Ron, I'm in DFW.....even in the winter, the weather usually supports golf at least 3 days a week, if not more......we played yesterday/Sunday, at 1pm it was 60 degrees, sunny, and beautiful.....a little windy but we had a blast., although it was a little chilly coming in the last few holes when the northern starting coming in....and we played for $20 with cart.

I work 50-60 hours a week and can only play on Sundays.....and I almost always get to play at least twice a month in the winter.

Stay strong.....when March gets here, you can play almost every day all the way through November.

Thanks Par Fore, I appreciate the post.  You're a hard worker.  I respect that.  I'm a good player but at my age, I need it warmer.  I'll wait.  :-)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

Move to So. Cal. where it gets too hot for people like me to play in the hot summer months. We're talking like 108 to 115 degree temperatures in the afternoons.

Wait a minute! That's North Texas in the summer! Freezing now, but you can cook eggs on the sidewalk come July! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

55 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

So true, but the high winds will blow away the eggs before they start to cook. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

So true, but the high winds will blow away the eggs before they start to cook. :-D

Winds in Texas are worst in the early spring and fall - at the change of seasons, along with the allergies. Summer is not bad as to wind ... for Texas. But getting in a late round stating at 3 or 4 pm is tough. It's over 100F, and lately, can be humid. Sweatsville. Play early, or a good time to head to Monterey, become a member of NCGA, play Poppy Hills for a week and then hit the area wineries or head north to the Russian River for wine and golf. Good to get out of Texas in mid-July, August, and September.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

3 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Winds in Texas are worst in the early spring and fall - at the change of seasons, along with the allergies. Summer is not bad as to wind ... for Texas. But getting in a late round stating at 3 or 4 pm is tough. It's over 100F, and lately, can be humid. Sweatsville. Play early, or a good time to head to Monterey, become a member of NCGA, play Poppy Hills for a week and then hit the area wineries or head north to the Russian River for wine and golf. Good to get out of Texas in mid-July, August, and September.

I like going up to wine country, and used to visit an ex-boss up there. He had a 52 acre ranch up there before deciding to retire to the coast of San Diego.

Interesting that people from Texas go to NorCal as well to escape sweltering heat. Never though of it as being really close, but by plane I suppose it’s not so bad.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

I like going up to wine country, and used to visit an ex-boss up there. He had a 52 acre ranch up there before deciding to retire to the coast of San Diego.

Interesting that people from Texas go to NorCal as well to escape sweltering heat. Never though of it as being really close, but by plane I suppose it’s not so bad.

And airbnb makes it more affordable.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

20 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

That's not the So. Calif. I live at. It's pretty much room temperature all year.

SD ave temp.JPG

I played in Palm Springs in late September some years back and it was 105° when we teed off around noon.  I'd rather play at 46° in Denver, or more likely around 75-80 that time of year.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

4 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I played in Palm Springs in late September some years back and it was 105° when we teed off around noon.  I'd rather play at 46° in Denver, or more likely around 75-80 that time of year.

You actually missed the hot season for Palm Springs. They heavily discount there in July and August where daytime temperatures get to 120F. It only gets hotter playing Furnace in Death Valley.

I really like the Denver area. Used to rock climb and lived up in Fort Collins for a year. Very nice weather.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

28 minutes ago, Lihu said:

You actually missed the hot season for Palm Springs. They heavily discount there in July and August where daytime temperatures get to 120F. It only gets hotter playing Furnace in Death Valley.

I really like the Denver area. Used to rock climb and lived up in Fort Collins for a year. Very nice weather.

A record temperature... post average highs not records.  Misleading.

P springs.JPG

Edited by No Mulligans

I have probably played 200 rounds in Texas over the years. Most of them near the FT Worth area.

I can honestly say I have played those rounds in just about every kind weather imagined. I do draw the line on tornadoes, larger hail stones, and lightening storms.

I can also honestly say, it mattered little what month of the year it was for all the different weather I played in. Goofy, inconsistent weather is normal in that area. 

I once woke up to snow flurries. (Saginaw Tx) I was supposed to golf with my broker at a really nice course. I figured I missed out. By the time our tee time arrived, it was 70 degrees. We walked off the 18 green in windy, wet, 40 degree weather. :mellow:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

52 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

A record temperature... post average highs not records.  Misleading.

P springs.JPG

The 108 degrees you quoted is an AVERAGE daytime temperature in July. It kind of depends upon where they start the clock and end the clock on what represents a day.

Yes, an average of anything is more than likely less than any peak daily temperature much less a record. . .

On top of that, you play golf in the sun which is about 10F hotter than sitting in the shade sipping on an iced tea or something?

I'd say Texas is much more comfortable to play in the summer at least based upon the 3 times I've played there which is obviously a statistical anomaly. :-D

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

13 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The 108 degrees you quoted is an AVERAGE daytime temperature in July. It kind of depends upon where they start the clock and end the clock on what represents a day.

Yes, an average of anything is more than likely less than any peak daily temperature much less a record. . .

It's the average Hign for the day.  Wouldn't that be all the daily high temperatures for the month divided by number of days in the month?

I don't understand how where you start and end the clock would matter.  It should be a 24 hour per day time period, right?

Note: This thread is 2260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!