IGNORED

Long Irons

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/16/2018 at 8:42 PM, fishgolf said:

I was watching a guy next to me on the range today hitting irons and admiring his low trajectory, slight draw shots.  I commented on his nice ball striking and that I'd love to hit irons a bit lower and with a slight draw.  He said, "well, I've been watching your high iron shots wishing like hell I could get them to splash down like that". 

I did try my friends hybrids at the range and they really weren't that much easier to hit nor were they proving as much distance.  I may try some others but at this point would be inclined to buy a 3 and 4 iron (assuming they are available) in any newer irons I'd buy.  When I was pricing out the G400's, I didn't see an option for a 3 iron.  But as @dbuckmentioned, sounds like the newer designs cover that.

I think @WUTiger’s comment was good too... maybe check out the Ping i200 (if you’re set on a Ping product)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a Hogan demo day at the range when hybrids were first being introduced--early 2000s.  The guy gave me a 21* club (3i equivalent) to try. I hit the best three iron I have ever hit, and did it two more times in a row. I bought a 21* and a 19* (used my 2i only off the tee) and 24* for future use. There came a day when I could still hit a good 4i, but the 4h was so much easier that I said my final goodbye to long irons.

For a long time thru the 70s-90s I carried both a 1 and a 2 iron (76 Wilson Staffs)...but hybrids have changed everything about my game, being so easy to hit off almost any lie short of the deep stuff...I use the foot wedge in there, and then grab a hybrid

Clubhead speed is paramount in achieving the proper launch conditions to have success with long irons. 

If club head speed isn' ideal. Hybrids just launch the ball with such ease.I only have a 2H. Its basicly a 5w with a shorter shaft. It's used as max distance club, not for distance control. 

I preffer long irons into greens. 

When I bought my current set it came with 5-pw, so I decided to go with a 3 and 4 hybrid instead of a 5 wood and 3 iron. Problem is, I can’t hit the hybrids with any consistency. So I am rethinking the configuration. Maybe I’ll play my old 3 and 4 irons for a while until I can tame the hybrids. I actually liked hitting my 3 iron, but I was erratic with it. 

Edited by tehuti

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!