IGNORED

2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every logo scored by Milton Glaser (I Love NY logo), current one gets a 60. I heard someone describe it as a box with a disclaimer mark. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-the-pyeongchang-olympic-logo-mean-its-chock-full-of-symbols-7797879

https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/milton-glaser-analyzes-olympic-logo-design-through-the-ages/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Every logo scored by Milton Glaser (I Love NY logo), current one gets a 60. I heard someone describe it as a box with a disclaimer mark. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-the-pyeongchang-olympic-logo-mean-its-chock-full-of-symbols-7797879

https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/milton-glaser-analyzes-olympic-logo-design-through-the-ages/

I'm not a big fan of the current logo, but he gave the 1968 Mexico and 2012 London logos both scores of 80 so I question his judgment.

My wife and I love the Olympics. It will be on my TV every day until it's over.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm not a big fan of the current logo, but he gave the 1968 Mexico and 2012 London logos both scores of 80 so I question his judgment.

My wife and I love the Olympics. It will be on my TV every day until it's over.

That 2012 logo is atrocious. Marks for gaining attention, come on.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That 2012 logo is atrocious. Marks for gaining attention, come on.

I actually forgot all about it until I read the article. The Sydney, Beijing, and Rio ones all stand out in my mind.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

25 minutes ago, billchao said:

I actually forgot all about it until I read the article. The Sydney, Beijing, and Rio ones all stand out in my mind.

Those are great. I like the Nagano too.

P&G does it again.

Steve

That opening was so good. I'm gonna watch it 10 more times. 

Steve

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That opening was so good. I'm gonna watch it 10 more times. 

I'm watching on NBC. 28 minutes in and they finally got to the countdown.

Bill

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, billchao said:

I'm watching on NBC. 28 minutes in and they finally got to the countdown.

Yeah, it's terrible. And they won't shut up during the performance. Didn't make the effort to watch it live. Too lazy to get BBC/international stream. Have most of first day recorded, will watch later. There's football (Manchester) and golf too.

Steve

Short track relay is fun to watch. 

Steve

Since when did they start showing the musical selections in the skating programs? Don't watch much ice skating competitions. 

Steve

10 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It is. I like the crashes too!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The importance of timing is so critical in those relays. Agreed amazing to watch. 

Steve

Figure skating needs its scoring system reevaluated. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, billchao said:

Figure skating needs its scoring system reevaluated. 

What prompted that? And how would you revamp it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

What prompted that? And how would you revamp it?

Was watching the men's freeskate in the team event. Patrick Chan took 1st despite touching the ice on three separate occasions.

The way the current system is set up, it encourages people to attempt jumps that they may not complete successfully, but they earn more points from failing a more difficult jump than they would from successfully completing a technically easier one.

I get that they want to advance the sport and it encourages skaters to push the limits of what's possible, but at the same time, it's weird to watch someone skate a clean program lose to someone who fell.

I think they need to make deductions steeper. Maybe have a fall add a deduction for the component score as well because it affects the flow, look, and artistry of the program. Right now if a guy attempts a quad and falls on the landing, he scores more than a guy who hits a perfect triple. But I'm of the opinion that a jump shouldn't be considered completed unless it's landed, but that's not how they score.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I agree with all of the above.

If you fall on a quad, you shouldn't get more points than a perfect triple.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am not sure how much more difficult it is to succeed on a quad versus a triple. 

I could see them rewarding how well they almost landed the quad. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!