IGNORED

Who makes the better ball? Bridgestone, Srixon, Taylormade

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Was just wondering if I could get a better quality ball in the $20/dozen range from Srixon, Bridgestone, or Taylormade.

It would behoove you to say something like that in the OP instead of this vague comment:

17 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

In general, not any specific ball.

For ~$27/dozen, you can get premium urethane balls that are top quality from the likes of @SnellGolf.

$20/dozen rules out a LOT of golf balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry im still not meeting your standards; I've never heard of Snell golf.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

15 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Sorry im still not meeting your standards; I've never heard of Snell golf.

Sounds like you're playing the victim card in response to a straightforward matter-of-fact comment. As we are all golf fans here, many of us here try to acquaint ourselves with new things as they arrive on the scene including Snell golf balls...which are awesome. There's a lot of information on this site about Snell if you're interested. Just go to the search bar and plug it in. I think you'll like what you see.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

15 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Thanks for the replies, i've been playing a Nike ball for the past 2-3 years that I like OK. Was just wondering if I could get a better quality ball in the $20/dozen range from Srixon, Bridgestone, or Taylormade.

The Soft Feel from Srixon is a very good performing 2-piece ball at that price point. I'm a 6.7 and I like it. It doesn't per se spin as well as some more expensive balls, but around the green it does the trick. 

Bridgestone has the older "Fix" model at this price point... Never tried it but I hear good things.

This is where Taylormade is meh... But the Aeroburnee Soft is ok for what you're looking for.  Hope this helps.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Bridgestone has the older "Fix" model at this price point... Never tried it but I hear good things.

Yes, played this ball and like a lot...for that price range it's a good one (IMHO). I also liked their TreoSoft

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Not going to get in the middle of a 'this ball is better than that ball' discussion.  I play different brands and models and the results don't vary from ball to ball.  Looking at my supply just to my right, I have Callaway Chrome Soft, Srixon Q Star Tour, Taylormade Tour Prefered, Bridgestone 330 and 3 dozen Pro V1.

When you hit 'em as badly as I do, it just doesn't matter.  OTOH, I don't LOSE many balls during a round.  Not an OB or drown them in the water kind of player ... I literally wear them out, retire them to the shag bag and play a new one.  I just loaded my bag for a FL trip coming up in 2 weeks.  Went with Chrome Soft and the Srixon Q-Star Tour.  Four sleeves total.  I'll probably bring 10 balls home.  Playing 4 rounds.

Here's a story about golf ball personal preference:  After my wife had been playing golf for only 3 seasons, she could feel the difference hitting a Pinnacle or a Top-Flite compared to a quality ball like a Pro V.  She has her preferences and only plays what feels good to her.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Don't rag on P'Knuckles, i've played many a round with them. Classic golf ball  - 'Pinnacle' 

Don't you shank no more 

7 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Don't rag on P'Knuckles, i've played many a round with them. Classic golf ball  - 'Pinnacle' 

Yeah, they pretty much all have a soft-cover version anymore.  I know Top-Flite went to a 'soft-feel' cover on a ball I think they called 'the gamer.'  Pinnacle may have as well.  But I'll never know!  :whistle:

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Played $47 a Dozen Pro V1s and $19 a Dozen Callaway Super Softs and had great games with both.  Most balls today are built well.  The best balls are the "OP" brand...  "Other Peoples" or found balls.  A lot of Pro Vs end up in the ditch and the woods. 

Thanks @1badbadger, good information!

-Jonny

Thank you very much 1badbadger, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Thank you very much 1badbadger, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Him talking about urethane balls (i.e. premium/tour level) and you asking about $20/dozen balls aren’t the same thing.

I gave @1badbadger rep for his post, too, but he missed your later $20 clarification.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/17/2018 at 4:44 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

Thanks for the replies, i've been playing a Nike ball for the past 2-3 years that I like OK. Was just wondering if I could get a better quality ball in the $20/dozen range from Srixon, Bridgestone, or Taylormade.

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Him talking about urethane balls (i.e. premium/tour level) and you asking about $20/dozen balls aren’t the same thing.

I gave @1badbadger rep for his post, too, but he missed your later $20 clarification.

Yep, you're right...I missed that post.  Sorry about that.  All the information still applies to the premium urethane balls and the less expensive Surlyn covered models.  I mentioned "cast-urethane" because it's one of those marketing terms that companies promote as a selling point, but it's really not.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, onthehunt526 said:

On 2/18/2018 at 11:34 AM, woodzie264 said:

Yes, played this ball and like a lot...for that price range it's a good one (IMHO). I also liked their TreoSoft

FYI...the xFixx is based off of the TreoSoft, so if you liked the TreoSoft I think you'll enjoy the xFixx.  The Bridgestone Extra Soft is very similar if you can't find the xFixx anymore.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Yep, you're right...I missed that post.  Sorry about that.

Not your fault. That info belongs in the OP.

Your post was still informative.

I think if you are playing premium Titleist, Callaway, Srixon, Callaway, or even Bridgestone, its about small differences for that fit your game. I personally loved Srixon and found the playable longevity of them unbeatable in my opinion. I happened to find a Chrome Soft and fell in love with it so I switched even though I dont feel its as durable. Trade with your buddies and experiment. 

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!