IGNORED

Changing Balls During Play

burr
Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/28/2018 at 4:19 PM, Patch said:

I always line up my putts using an intermediate target, and rolling the ball over that target. The idea being I was aiming at something closer than the hole, that was along my chosen putting line. If my line is correct, and my speed is correct, I usually make the putt, or at the very least, "lag" the ball close enough for easy next putt. 

nice idea , but is it allowable? 

I use the line. 

I set the ball to my target, step back and use the putter to make sure the line is aimed correctly. 

I then use the line to align my putter and my feet. 

After that I pretty much concentrate on speed and my pre shot routine alone. It seems to help me, even if it’s just for confidence. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

What do you use as your target?

I used to use an intermediate target. But now I just use the spot where I think I need to hit it to to hit the hole. So if it’s a straight putt I aim for the back lip, if I read a 2 foot break my target is a spot 2 feet right/left of the hole. 

My thought process being that even if I don’t align it 100% perfectly I’m still better off than standing over the ball and trying to line up. 

6 hours ago, Moxley said:

nice idea , but is it allowable? 

As long as you don't put anything there for a target.  See below...

4 hours ago, Rulesman said:

What do you use as your target?

I just pick a spot, doesn't even have to be something visible, and I keep my eye on that spot until I take my stance at the ball.  It's usually just a spot in my imagination, rarely an actual blemish or discoloration on the green.  I've used that method for more than 25 years, and it's worked fairly well for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

9 hours ago, Rulesman said:

I meant do you aim at a physical target? eg a mark you have made or blemish on the surface or?

No I pick something that I didn’t make myself. I know that’s against the rules. So maybe a specific leaf that shimers or just a spot in my minds eye. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, Killa said:

I use the line. 

I set the ball to my target, step back and use the putter to make sure the line is aimed correctly. 

I then use the line to align my putter and my feet. 

After that I pretty much concentrate on speed and my pre shot routine alone. It seems to help me, even if it’s just for confidence. 

and despite what most opinion is here, a lotta pros use it for whatever reasons.  I'm still trying it on and off for the Killas reasoning.

and it's getting better, I feel much mo better over the ball now, after several more rounds and a little practice on the greens.  The 'feel' had left me during a long layoff and it may be the last to come around.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, iacas said:

Lines are pointless. They waste time, and they don't help.

They have helped with both my putting and driving.  For putting, it helps me get a good visual line where I want to start the roll.  For driving, it helps alignment.  Glad to be in the 10% :w00t:.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

So what's the ruling if a golfer tosses his ball to his caddy who isn't paying attention and the ball goes in the nearby pond?

Is it the general "playing a different ball" penalty?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

18 minutes ago, krupa said:

So what's the ruling if a golfer tosses his ball to his caddy who isn't paying attention and the ball goes in the nearby pond?

That would be a two stroke penalty to play a substituted ball. It actually happened to Dustin Johnson, of course. But his caddy (and brother) jumped in the lake and retrieved the ball: https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/golf-rules-why-dustin-johnsons-caddie-jumped-in-lake-retrieve-ball

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

53 minutes ago, krupa said:

33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

That would be a two stroke penalty to play a substituted ball. It actually happened to Dustin Johnson, of course. But his caddy (and brother) jumped in the lake and retrieved the ball: https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/golf-rules-why-dustin-johnsons-caddie-jumped-in-lake-retrieve-ball

Ian Poulter did the same thing:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 2/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, NM Golf said:

FWIW, those lines are not all that helpful as it's basically been proven that people are notoriously poor at actually getting them aimed correctly.

It's funny, I have a line template and I mark my ball with it.  The ball has two lines that stand out severely.  I just do that so I can see the green sharpie marks when looking for my ball.  I just want the stripes to be straight/tidy and that doesn't happen freehand.

When I putt, I just put my ball down and the stripes could be pointing any which way.  It has been known to draw comments from other players when I don't actually try use them for alignment.  In any case, with my shaky hands, I'd be there all day trying to get the line straight - it's freaking impossible IMO.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

4 hours ago, rehmwa said:

When I putt, I just put my ball down and the stripes could be pointing any which way.  It has been known to draw comments from other players when I don't actually try use them for alignment.

I think you should tell people that it IS lined up. "What? Don't you think that's my starting line? You need to get your eyes checked."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 8 months later...
(edited)

to re-open this thread about the line marked on balls, to me, it helps drastically; as I stand behind the ball checking the line, it focuses on the immediate line of travel I may be looking for.  Ima start using it on the tee now that somebody above mentioned it. On the tee,  I normally find a mark several feet beyond the ball for aim.  Alignment is key for me (and relatively simple, no moving parts). 

Reasons for the update on this thread is if there was ever a reason for a simple rule change (like for instance, caddies helping with the alignment), then this would be on top of the list , it seems.  and no controversial calls either...

Edited by burr

On 2/20/2018 at 7:44 AM, NM Golf said:

FWIW, those lines are not all that helpful as it's basically been proven that people are notoriously poor at actually getting them aimed correctly.

That’s what I’ve found to be true. I generally pick a spot in front of my ball to aim at. Much like I do a drive or iron shot to line myself up

Edited by chilepepper

I've never used a line on the ball to line up a putt. I set the ball so that the putter will strike the ball where the logo is. All I want to see when I look down at the ball is white! I do the exact same thing when teeing off. 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!