IGNORED

Handicap-Forward vs Back Tee Box

GJT
Note: This thread is 2112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, GJT said:

When you assign slope/rating to a course how do you account for various pin placements? Some of these can be diabolical...

You don't. You account for the entire green.

A green is rated to be relatively flat, moderately contoured, or highly contoured. That factor along with the typical stimp speed affects the target score and the overall rating for the hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can search over the internet some PDF documents that explains in detail how they rate every tee of a course.
I studied one of them and rated my home course from the tips. It gave me a number really close to the oficial rating of the course. It´s a fun excercise and you learn a lot about ratings.

Because of that i can say that the rating is calculated from every tee for a scratch golfer who drives it in average 250 yards and a bogey golfer who drives it 200 yards. (for men) (210/150 for women)
If you hit your driver longer than that average it will be benefitial for you to play longers tee, on the opposite side if you hit it shorter it will be benefitial to play from shorter tee boxes. Obviously if you hit as long as the average every tee will be the same for you.

• 4 months later...

I've always kinda second-guessed my course's rating, as I thought it was a bit harder than other comparable CR/SR. Here's an extreme from yesterday on a 9-hole course I played for the 1st time without Google Mapping my round before. Could have been a +2 had I known the layout of hole 3 better.

Not sure if this lines up or not despite the low CR/SR?

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 11.55.32 AM.png

• Administrator
2 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

I've always kinda second-guessed my course's rating, as I thought it was a bit harder than other comparable CR/SR.

Most of the CR/SR is a course's yardage.

Hazards, trees, long grass, etc. don't weigh in very much. It's mostly length.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I’ve been playing with the same bunch of guys for the past 28 yrs. The “Gaggle” consists of 16-24 guys, handicaps from 5-36, ages 44-86. We play every M-W-F, 0730 at The Golf Club at Hawks Prairie, Lacey, WA. We have a random draw for 3-4 man teams. Each player plays from the tee he prefers and handicaps are applied accordingly. We play ready golf and apply some “Gaggle” rules to speed up play. There are no mulligans and no gimmes, we putt everything out. All  OB’s are played as lateral hazards. Because we live in the Northwest we play preferred lies (no more than 6”) throughout the year. It’s great fun, if you would like to join us you can reply thru this website. JLC4GLF 

Note: This thread is 2112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!