GJT

Lie angle advice

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Not sure if this is a stance issue or an equipment issue, but here I go.

Recenty hit a bunch of balls off one of those green brush mats. I noticed that there was an accumulation of green “stuff” at the toe of the clubs. I have also noticed that, sometimes, my divots are deeper on one side, consistent with the toe digging deeper than the heel. So it would seem that I have a lie angle issue.

Suggestions? Adjust lie or stance? 

I am 66 in age, 6 feet tall, 22 handicap.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

It seems like it is more of a lie issue, I don't think your stance would impact turf interaction with the club. It may be worth going and getting a fitting with your current clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, GJT said:

I noticed that there was an accumulation of green “stuff” at the toe of the clubs.

This would be a lie angle issue. Your irons are too flat in lie.

You want clubs fit for your dynamic lie angle, or the lie angle at impact. Simply resting the club on the ground as you grip it won't tell you much. The club shaft tends to bow on downswing, and have varying degrees of toedown (club lie flattening).

TST's @mvmac blog has step-by-step instructions on using the Sharpie Test to measure for lie angle.

The below diagram shows to effects of too upright, proper and too flat lie angles:

golf-club-lie-angle-990x556.jpg

The other guys who posted are correct.  Never change your stance or swing to fit your clubs...change your clubs to fit your swing.

After reading your post @GJT and all of the replies, I would say your clubs are too flat. I have the same issue especially with off the rack clubs, because I'm 6'5" and need a more upright lie angle.

How far toward the toe are these marks from the mat?

6 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

After reading your post @GJT and all of the replies, I would say your clubs are too flat. I have the same issue especially with off the rack clubs, because I'm 6'5" and need a more upright lie angle.

How far toward the toe are these marks from the mat?

Almost half of the club width, with most of the green towards the toe. Hmmm. Sounds like a lot doesn’t it :)

sounds like your clubs are way too flat for you. @1badbadger take over from here, I think he needs 3 or 4 degrees upright from what he's playing now, but I'm probably wrong.

What irons are you playing @GJT? If they are PING's a color code would help us, help you out.

5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

sounds like your clubs are way too flat for you. @1badbadger take over from here, I think he needs 3 or 4 degrees upright from what he's playing now, but I'm probably wrong.

What irons are you playing @GJT? If they are PING's a color code would help us, help you out.

Ping G15 black dot. Thanks for helping out.

2 hours ago, GJT said:

Ping G15 black dot. Thanks for helping out.

Then your swing is probably steep and left.

Start a Member Swing topic.

Just film from the proper angles, please.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah... that too. He is probably coming in too steep... I was waiting for you to chime in Erik... Because something didn't add up... Even if I hit an off the rack club on the lie board it's not a half club from the center line on the tape. It's probably around 1/2" toward the toe or so... which I why I play upright clubs.

@GJT, it seems like it could be both a swing issue and equipment issue... Read what Erik has to say, he knows his stuff. I think if you need a change, you may be going to blue dot from black dot.

@iacas, one degree or standard sound about right to you?

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas, one degree or standard sound about right to you?

I have no idea. I haven't paid a ton of attention to the topic.

Black dot is standard so for the marks to be THAT flat, it just struck me as highly unlikely.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I have no idea. I haven't paid a ton of attention to the topic.

Black dot is standard so for the marks to be THAT flat, it just struck me as highly unlikely.

Yes, that is a quite a lot flat... (if it wasn't swing it would be 7-8 degrees too flat). I think it could be swing, too.

Just go for the poor mans fitting...Look in the demo bag at Golf Galaxy etc...throw a piece of tape on the sole/ leading edge of a green dot standard length Ping iron and see where the contact point is.  Or try something Black dot but +1" with sole tape.

it'll give u an idea anyway. 

Being that tall it's not going to be just lie angle.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I did some research on Ping’s colour system. Found the attached chart. My wrist to floor measurement is 35 inches. Does this mean that I should get my clubs adjusted to Silver?

I will follow up with swing videos if that will help. I assume you want videos from the back?

DA36309C-4264-45D6-948D-EE1BD09DD594.png

1 hour ago, GJT said:

I will follow up with swing videos if that will help. I assume you want videos from the back?

Swing Thread

Filming your swing

Usually "down the line" and "face on" are the two swing angles best used.  

6 hours ago, GJT said:

So...should I actually be hitting balls or just practice swinging.???

Definitely hitting balls. There's not much to glean from a practice swing.