IGNORED

160 yards to break 90?!

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Spellchecker took out “took out all the clubs he can’t hit out of the bag” then hit conservatively.

Ok, I understand now what you meant. I still don't agree, but at least I understand. :)

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played on an empty golf course today. I played a 6 hole stretch using just my 6i-LW. Left my longer clubs in the bag. The 6 hole stretch had 2 par 5s. I hit my 6i on average 135 yards carry. Out of those 9 clubs, I used 5 of them.

While doing this, I also played my regular game using all my clubs. I played 2 ball. I was one stroke better using only the shorter clubs. 

Going to do the same short bag thing tomorrow for a 9 hole score. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 hours ago, b101 said:
7 hours ago, b101 said:

Yeah, not buying this. What do you do on a 200 yard par three? Play your 7 iron into trouble, then try to get up and down? Just feels like clickbait IMO.

This is where I never understand the 'take 3 wood over driver for safety' argument. My misses with a 3 wood might be better, laterally, by I'm about 100 more times likely to top it or sky it and have it go nowhere. 

Also, as @billchao mentions, it's very easy to say just 'two putt every hole' and don't miss close range putts. Anyone struggling to break 90 just has no chance of doing this without actually working on their stroke and fundamentals.

Maybe, but it's hardly a strategy for long-term improvement...

Hit one more club and bail out to the safe side and get a near green if you can.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

16 minutes ago, Patch said:

I played on an empty golf course today. I played a 6 hole stretch using just my 6i-LW. Left my longer clubs in the bag. The 6 hole stretch had 2 par 5s. I hit my 6i on average 135 yards carry. Out of those 9 clubs, I used 5 of them.

It makes sense. I look at my set and realize I can eliminate 5 clubs in my bag without any effort. Only I keep the driver and 3W and dump my 5, 4, 6, 56 and 50.

My 160 club is between two of my remaining clubs.

I wrote in my improvements for this year that I’d like to hit my 4 and 5 without feeling anxious. Maybe just get rid of them? Doesn’t help to sometimes randomly hook into the woods on long approaches anyway. :-P

While doing this, I also played my regular game using all my clubs. I played 2 ball. I was one stroke better using only the shorter clubs. 

That’s cool. Amazed you didn’t need a driver or 3W. Using a 6i alone might be okay too? Try that.

Going to do the same short bag thing tomorrow for a 9 hole score. 

Looking forward to hearing your results.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 hours ago, billchao said:

I never suggested you did, though I vehemently disagree with your assertion that:

You brought it up for discussion... and I'm discussing :-)

If anything it's just another example of how good golfers forget or don't realize just how bad poor golfers can be.

But, you've kind of said it yourself here,m, haven't you? There are some really crappy golfers out there who have no ability for the game! It doesn't matter what you tell them, or how you instruct them. They will always be bad! Believe me, I've seen them in league play! Some of the most bizarre stances and swings you could imagine! There is no hope for them. However, let me say that I am glad they are around, They have always been around, and they keep the little 9 holers out in the boonies in business! 

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

But, you've kind of said it yourself here,m, haven't you? There are some really crappy golfers out there who have no ability for the game! It doesn't matter what you tell them, or how you instruct them. They will always be bad! Believe me, I've seen them in league play! Some of the most bizarre stances and swings you could imagine! There is no hope for them. However, let me say that I am glad they are around, They have always been around, and they keep the little 9 holers out in the boonies in business! 

The strategy is for golfers who are stuck between 90-100... Most of them have the skills necessary to break 90. 

Maybe I didn't make the title or the first post clear enough. @billchao isn't buying it. However, the discussion has been good. 

GolfSidekick suggests on his website, that you pick a club that you hit at least 160 yards and reasonably straight (that doesn't mean 14/14 fairways either). IMO a good amount of golfers stuck in the 90s have this club. It can even be a driver. He says his was 5-wood when he broke 90. 

The reason I said it had some principles of LSW is it does require you to know where you normally hit certain clubs and some GamePlanning. 

I agree with @billchao though. It's hard for a 20-25 handicap to string 3 or 4 good shots together.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Interesting topic. Old Golf Digest book "Breaking 100 90 80" advances a similar concept. Another book, "How to Break 90" is a little more technical, but starts with the idea of making bogey your personal par. It's a fair course strategy book for the 90 - 100 golfer. Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The reason I said it had some principles of LSW is it does require you to know where you normally hit certain clubs and some GamePlanning. 

The basic premise is kind of the opposite of LSW. You’d really want to hit your longest and safest club as opposed to your safest club you can hit 160 yards or so.

If I were to do anything like this it would be to swing more easily such that I can get safer more reliable shots with my longest clubs off the tee. Even then, it’s not clear how hitting shorter would help unless avoiding trouble?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I played 9 holes today without using my D, 3w, 5w, 5i, or 6i. My long club of choice was my 7w, which I can carry about 165 yards. Rest of my clubs we're 7i-Lw, and I didn't need to use a few of them. 

First off, I am already a solid 80s player. My 7w is my "go to" club in quite a few situations. 

I shot a real easy 42 inspite of some poor putts. I was never in any kind of trouble. I had 6 bogey 1s, and 3 pars. I played the 6200 tees.

So, it is possible for a player with a poor long game, but with a decent middle/short game to break 90, just using their shorter clubs. 

Would I ever consider being satisfied just using these shorter clubs all the time? Not likely, because on occassions I can break 80, but I need to include my longer clubs to do that. I need the extra distance they provide. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

We are getting way off the basic premise. I would suggest that not carrying a club you can not hit consistently most of the time is a good idea. For many people (most 90+) this would mean either going to a 3w or 5w or a VERY lofted driver (12 deg +) and not carrying anything lower than a 5i. This is not about eliminating clubs that you miss often or clubs that you slice. This is really about getting rid of blow ups. If you can't get the driver in the air or hit it 40 yrds right and only 150 down the fairway, then maybe it isn't right for you. If you top 6 tee shots a round into the junk or water then maybe not a good idea.

Bring clubs you can get in the air and have fun. I agree that most people who struggle to break 90 will not be 2 putting every green and will have a HARD time getting most 140 yrd shots on the green so the strategy as laid out is flawed.

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The strategy is for golfers who are stuck between 90-100... Most of them have the skills necessary to break 90. 

Maybe I didn't make the title or the first post clear enough. @billchao isn't buying it. However, the discussion has been good. 

GolfSidekick suggests on his website, that you pick a club that you hit at least 160 yards and reasonably straight (that doesn't mean 14/14 fairways either). IMO a good amount of golfers stuck in the 90s have this club. It can even be a driver. He says his was 5-wood when he broke 90. 

I agree with @billchao though. It's hard for a 20-25 handicap to string 3 or 4 good shots together.

I can appreciate your thought process, but you have to allow another one in there, There's a whole population of "golfers", and I put that in quotes for a reason, who don't give a rip about getting better! Golf, for them, is a social occasion. A chance to get out in fresh air and sunshine, swat a ball around, joke with their friends, drink a few beers om and have fun!  They don't care about getting better! Yjrt Oops! There's a little 9 holer not far from me that is nothing fancy, but it has it's challenges. You know what I notice out there on a Summer evening? How many married couples come out to play together. A lot more than I see at many other courses around here!

10 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I can appreciate your thought process, but you have to allow another one in there, There's a whole population of "golfers", and I put that in quotes for a reason, who don't give a rip about getting better! Golf, for them, is a social occasion. A chance to get out in fresh air and sunshine, swat a ball around, joke with their friends, drink a few beers om and have fun!  They don't care about getting better! Yjrt Oops! There's a little 9 holer not far from me that is nothing fancy, but it has it's challenges. You know what I notice out there on a Summer evening? How many married couples come out to play together. A lot more than I see at many other courses around here!

That's all well and great, but what's it have to do with the topic?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/cutchemist42/round/1653688

Went back and tried to find a round where I did something even close to this. This round was one where despite having my longest drive ever, I used my 3w mostly to be safe and it was a 91.

Tough for me to say if I would do good with this. I might try a 100% hybrid-or-less tee-shot round this year just to see how it works out. I think the hy gets me 210-190 yards, and I dont see any OBs/lost balls/penalties happening.

I think it has some merit, but dont have a strong opinion either on it.

45 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/cutchemist42/round/1653688

Went back and tried to find a round where I did something even close to this. This round was one where despite having my longest drive ever, I used my 3w mostly to be safe and it was a 91.

Tough for me to say if I would do good with this. I might try a 100% hybrid-or-less tee-shot round this year just to see how it works out. I think the hy gets me 210-190 yards, and I dont see any OBs/lost balls/penalties happening.

I think it has some merit, but dont have a strong opinion either on it.

What do you usually shoot? If you don't mind me asking?

I think the reason that TheGolfSidekick believes that holder's consistently in the 90s shouldn't hit 30-70 yard shots, is maybe the inconsistency there?

Most 90s golfers aren't hitting very many greens in regulation or having many birdie putts. 

It does go away from LSW in the fact that you're not getting it as close to the hole as you can. 

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• Administrator
On 2/24/2018 at 12:44 AM, onthehunt526 said:

I am not in the 90-100 club right now. But it makes some sense. It's kind of LSW (sort of). Kind of stay out of trouble and you'll score better. Matt (GolfSidekick) is obviously a better player than what he's demonstrating... But it has some merit. 

Yeah, this part doesn't make any sense to me at all. The Rule still dominates.

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I disagree.

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

GolfSidekick suggests on his website, that you pick a club that you hit at least 160 yards and reasonably straight (that doesn't mean 14/14 fairways either).

That club doesn't exist for someone shooting 95.

That golfer is gonna chunk that club. Shank it. Thin it. Slice it. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, this part doesn't make any sense to me at all. The Rule still dominates.

I disagree.

That club doesn't exist for someone shooting 95.

That golfer is gonna chunk that club. Shank it. Thin it. Slice it. Etc.

Part one: I agree with.

Part two: Why do you disagree?

Part three: When I struggled when I was a freshman in high school, I hit an 8-iron off the tee. I hit that about 160 or so, and basically golfed with 8-SW and a putter for a month and a half, while I worked on the rest of the bag. I was able to shoot in the 40s for 9 holes almost every time with an 8-iron off the tee. (Remember up until January I'd never taken a lesson). 

Part four: I agree with.

@iacas I do think he's pulling our leg a little bit. 90s shooters don't make consistent contact like that. He's obviously a 70s shooter or there abouts.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• Administrator
1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

Part two: Why do you disagree?

You can't agree with most of the other parts, but then wonder why I disagree with this one.

The Rule is the key to LSW GamePlanning. Bad golfers should still hit driver fairly often.

Let's say they plan to reach every green in GIR+1 and two-putt. What happens when they shank a 7I OB? Or chunk one 20 yards? Or 3-putt?

I can break 90 hitting a 5-iron all day. I can shoot 75 or so doing that, and have a few times. But a 20 handicapper is a 20 handicapper for a reason. They can't hit wedges solid, let alone something 160 solid and straight every time. They can't chip and putt very well.

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas I do think he's pulling our leg a little bit. 90s shooters don't make consistent contact like that. He's obviously a 70s shooter or there abouts.

That matters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/24/2018 at 5:36 AM, NEhomer said:

I'd pay $100 to anyone who can show me how to break 90 on a 6,000 yard course by simply changing my strategy. It would be the best $100 ever spent.

Don't hit bad shots.

You can paypal me the hundred bucks!  

That's what I was thinking. Me and my golf buddies have a variation: "don't do anything stupid". 

Here's another one. Just hit every shot very straight and far. LOL

• Like 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!